Solo OV vs OV

I am a CCL cruiser. But my Home port is Manhattan and I want to cruise from there in the winter and CCL isn’t offering winter ‘25 cruises. I am cruising solo. What’s the difference between solo OV and regular OV? TIA 

3 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I am a CCL cruiser. But my Home port is Manhattan and I want to cruise from there in the winter and CCL isn’t offering winter ‘25 cruises. I am cruising solo. What’s the difference between solo OV and regular OV? TIA 

Solo OV = one person in the room, plus access to the Studio Lounge (if the ship has it). Regular OV is for two or more people...Oceanview rooms can vary based on category (size, window size, location, number of people in the room, etc.). 

• Thanks 1

But the bottom line is that these are re-categorized cabins, there is no difference in size or design compared to a non-solo cabin of the same category.  The main difference is access to the Studio Lounge on ships that have it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hallux said:

But the bottom line is that these are re-categorized cabins, there is no difference in size or design compared to a non-solo cabin of the same category.  The main difference is access to the Studio Lounge on ships that have it.

And the lack of a single supplement for a single cruiser sailing in a double occupancy room.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

And the lack of a single supplement for a single cruiser sailing in a double occupancy room.

That varies widely.  I'm booked on a cruise where the solo balcony is actually more ($1 LOL) than simply booking a balcony and paying double occupancy. And no solo lounge on that particular ship.

The solo categories also tend to be on the lower decks, so your cabin choices are limited.

Also, if you use your NCL credit card points for upgrades, you cannot upgrade from a solo booking (it's a pseudo category) - I don't know if you are eligible for Upgrade Advantage.

Still hoping for a reduced supplement as it gets closer to my sail date.... CruiseNext folks said having the solo categories would not necessarily preclude dropping the solo supplements on cruises - only time will tell, taking that info with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

The new solo cabins are very interesting.

We are going on an extended family cruise this June on the Joy.  This weekend we had to change one of the cabins that was two passengers down to one passenger.   The current price for a regular balcony cabin was $2,807.35 and the price for a solo balcony cabin was $1,937.85.  Both cabins are on Deck 12 and are not far from one another.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, julig22 said:

I don't know if you are eligible for Upgrade Advantage.

You are, and apparently not limited to higher solo cabins, since they've given me the chance to bid on the three bed garden villa (obviously I haven't). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 6:23 PM, julig22 said:

Also, if you use your NCL credit card points for upgrades, you cannot upgrade from a solo booking (it's a pseudo category) - I don't know if you are eligible for Upgrade Advantage.

I just booked my second solo cruise.  First was in an actual studio cabin on the Getaway.  The next one will be on the Joy which doesn’t have studios or a solo lounge.  I chose a solo inside.  Both times I was sent an email offer to bid.  Even though I’m solo, if I bid & my bid is accepted I will pay it twice because they still base that on double occupancy.

• Thanks 1