Irons in Rooms on NCL Spirit

avo795

We are leaving on Sunday on the Spirit and I was wondering if there were irons in the room (we are staying in an oceanview stateroom). If not, can we get one from housekeeping or do I need to bring one from home.

Thanks in advance.

:rolleyes:

Sorry to break it to you, but irons are not allowed onboard nor are they supplied to passengers. They are considered fire hazards. In addition, the Spirit doesn't have a self-service laundry room, which would normally have an iron for passenger use.

Your alternatives include using the ship's pressing/laundry service, Downey Wrinkle Release, or using a steamer.

Since we're sailing on the Westerdam that doesn't have self service laundry, I've been looking for an inexpensive steamer. I saw the following on the Oreck site http://www.oreck.com/small-home-appliances/garment_steamer1.cfm?keycode=CK691 .

Has anyone used one of these and do you know if they work reasonably well? The price is certainly right at $9.99.

The Oreck travel steamer works just fine. I used one on a cruise w/my DD in November.

I'm surprised that all ships don't have passenger laundry rooms. Seems not having them would encourage folks to bring their own irons...heaven forbid! (We all know how devastating a fire at sea would be.)

AVO - There are several ways you can keep your clothing wrinkle-free.

Using the ship's personal laundry service for a small fee...

Taking along "Downey Wrinkle-Release"...

Steaming up your bathroom and hanging the clothes in there for a few minutes...steams the wrinkles out beautifully.

Just don't try to smuggle an iron on board, PLEASE. You wouldn't want to be the only nicely-pressed person in a lifeboat.:(

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking of bringing a steamer if there was not an iron in the room. I didn't even think about the fire hazard aspect of an iron. Glad I asked. Well off to buy a steamer or downey Wrinkle Release.

Alison

Since we're sailing on the Westerdam that doesn't have self service laundry, I've been looking for an inexpensive steamer. I saw the following on the Oreck site http://www.oreck.com/small-home-appliances/garment_steamer1.cfm?keycode=CK691 .

Has anyone used one of these and do you know if they work reasonably well? The price is certainly right at $9.99.

I thought that was a great deal and just tried to call in to order it and was told it has to be bought at the store for that price. No store close to me to purchase it :-( Good idea though and thanks for providing the link.

check ebay for a good price on steamer

And, as far as I know, none of the cruiselines allow irons in the rooms due to the fire hazard thing. And, based on past experience, if they have a laundry room, do your ironing early, not an hour before dinner.

I have been using a small travel iron on ships for years! I have never been questioned about it and it is usually left out in plain sight in our cabin. You'd have to really try hard to start a fire with an iron! I carry mine onboard in my carryon and have had it checked through secruity and never, ever been asked about it.

mousey -

Please, do yourself, and about 2000 other people a favor and don't bring it anymore. Just because nothing has happened until now, does not mean it cant. Irons cause a lot of fires. There really is a reason that they dont want you to bring them aboard.

~Intrepid

• 2 weeks later...

If you roll your clothes they will not get not wrinkled at all. You won't even need Downey...I've never taken an iron, hairdryer or any appliance on a cruise...BUT

I just can't figure what the big deal is with irons on board is anyway...they allow electric shavers, hairdryers, curling irons, steamers which are all a potential fire hazard, so what's the big deal about an iron. Surely no one would leave it unattended and most modern ones have automatic shut off...

From different things I've read.(on different cruise lines).."Irons are not supplied." It never says they aren't allowed.

Not trying to start a "HOT" topic but just wondering what's the big deal if someone wants to bring a travel iron.

Surely no one would leave it unattended and most modern ones have automatic shut off...

Emphasis mine. I think the error in your thinking is to say "surely no one..." that is a big assumption, so is that everyone bringing an iron is bringing a "modern" one. The difference with an iron is the fact that it gets hot, very hot. Hot enough to start a fire, should it fall on a bed or something, before the automatic shut off shuts off. Of course there are other risks, but the cruiselines (all of them, I believe) decided that irons are not acceptable on board. And when you accept your ticket, you are accepting their rules via the passenger contract.

~Intrepid

I understand what YOU are saying but don't you think that a responsible person would be aware of a hot iron and do their quick press and be done with it and make sure that it is unplugged and safe??

I thought it was pretty funny at the muster drill last week (3/26...Spirit) when the Captain announced... "we are all concerned with safety..please be careful when smoking in bed." My sister and I were hysterical.

Funny, he never mentioned ironing in the cabin.....

Yes you are right, a responsible person would not do that... a responsible person also would not bring one aboard. I am not worried about responsible people. Too many people fall out of that category when they go on vacation.

The captain probably did not mention irons because they are not allowed on board and should be confiscated.

Not to mention irons will probably blow your power anyway and everyone around you.

~Intrepid

Yes you are right, a responsible person would not do that... a responsible person also would not bring one aboard. I am not worried about responsible people. Too many people fall out of that category when they go on vacation.

The captain probably did not mention irons because they are not allowed on board and should be confiscated.

Not to mention irons will probably blow your power anyway and everyone around you.

~Intrepid

Okay, I agree with SGTAMI 100%. It does not say in my NCL docs that you can't bring an iron on board. If it does I missed that part. I don't try to sneak mine on board. I always carry it in my carryon which is checked by the cruise lines I have boarded. I figure if they want to take it from me they can have it. I'm just saying I've done it since my first cruise by in 1965 until my last cruise in 2005. I have never been questioned about it and in fact, as I stated above, I leave it out in plain sight in my stateroom. Also, why would a small travel iron blowout the electricity when steamers, hairdryers, and other electrical appliances don't. I just don't get it! Smoking is worse than using a small appliance and it is allowed. I think the reason they don't want you to bring one is because they want you to pay for their pressing services! Could be wrong but I just don't get it!

You're correct, the NCL web site doesn't directly address irons. Here's how it reads.

What can't I bring onboard?Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals.

One could argue that an iron is a dangerous good.

What do other cruise lines say about irons?

Carnival

4.(b) No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others, jewelry, money, cameras, documents, valuables of any description including but not limited to such articles as are described in Section 4281 Revised Statute of the U.S.A. (46 USC § 181) shall be carried except under and subject to the terms of a special written contract or Bill of Lading entered into with Carnival prior to embarkation upon application of the Guest. (f) Weapons, firearms, ammunitions, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous goods are strictly prohibited aboard the vessel. The Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container carried or presented by him as baggage. Carnival may deny boarding to any Guest travelling with any weapons, firearms, ammunitions, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous goods and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival will confiscate and turn over to the appropriate governmental authorities any of the above articles found on the Guest or his baggage. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

Other dangerous goods? Is an iron a dangerous good?

So what's does Section 4281 Revised Statute of the U.S.A. (46 USC § 181) say?

CROSS REFERENCES

Liability with respect to carriage of goods by sea, see section 1300 et seq. of this Appendix. § 181. Liability of masters as carriers If any shipper of platina, gold, gold dust, silver, bullion, or other precious metals, coins, jewelry, bills of any bank or public body, diamonds, or other precious stones, or any gold or silver in a manufactured or unmanufactured state, watches, clocks, or timepieces of any description, trinkets, orders, notes, or securities for payment of money, stamps, maps, writings, title deeds, printings, engravings, pictures, gold or silver plate or plated articles, glass, china, silks in a manufactured or unmanufactured state, and whether wrought up or not wrought up with any other material, furs, or lace, or any of them, contained in any parcel, or package, or trunk, shall lade the same as freight or baggage, on any vessel, without at the time of such lading giving to the master, clerk, agent, or owner of such vessel receiving the same a written notice of the true character and value thereof, and having the same entered on the bill of lading therefor, the master and owner of such vessel shall not be liable as carriers thereof in any form or manner; nor shall any such master or owner be liable for any such goods beyond the value and according to the character thereof so notified and entered.

From different things I've read.(on different cruise lines).."Irons are not supplied." It never says they aren't allowed.

From Princess:http://www.princess.com/legal/passage.html

Carrier has the right to prohibit items from being brought on board that may pose a safety hazard. These include but are not limited to utensils, tools and certain types of sporting equipment that may be used as a weapon, firearms, flammable substances (except for limited quantities of personal care toiletries), explosives, irons, heating devices, candles, certain types of recreational wheeled transportation devices or any other item that Security personnel may identify as a potential threat to safety.

From RCL: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/RCI_guestticket.pdf

We do not provide irons in staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

From Disney Cruise Lines: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/help/overview?name=OnboardServicesFAQLandingPage#12

Is there laundry service?

Onboard laundry and dry-cleaning services (with stateroom pickup) are available for a charge. There is also a self-service Guest Laundry Room with coin-operated washers and dryers, along with detergent and ironing equipment. For safety reasons, the provided irons or steamers may be used in the laundry room only; personal irons cannot be brought aboard.

I understand what YOU are saying but don't you think that a responsible person would be aware of a hot iron and do their quick press and be done with it and make sure that it is unplugged and safe??

I thought it was pretty funny at the muster drill last week (3/26...Spirit) when the Captain announced... "we are all concerned with safety..please be careful when smoking in bed." My sister and I were hysterical.

Funny, he never mentioned ironing in the cabin.....

But, responsible people make human errors. How many times have you left your home, your down the block and you say to yourself, "hmmm, did I turn off the iron, oven, curling iron or whatever electrical item you recently used. Yet, your responsible, right? Mistakes happen, accidents happen and human error is a natural part of life.

Two stories...

We were on the Star in 2002 and back then irons were not as big of a deal or something. We asked our Room Steward to bring us an iron, which he did. It was the smaller, travel size type. My DH used it, forgot to turn it off and off to dinner and the show we went. BTW. there was no automatic turn off on it. When we returned to our cabin, much to our horror, a note was left for us. It was very kind but explained the danger of what had happened. The next day, we promptly returned the iron to our room steward, made our apology, we were terribly embarassed. We figured having neatly pressed pants in view of the potential disaster this could cause was definitely not worth it. So, while it's embarrassing to share this story, I hope someone of you who still insist on bringing your irons will see the danger. And yes, we are responsible people, it was human error that potentially put many people in danger.

My second and final story... my sister use to work in a hotel chain, she is learning disabled but functions at a fairly high ability. She as well as others of her same abilities were highly supervised at a national and common hotel chain cleaning rooms. While cleaning a room, she was badly burned by someone who accidently left their curling iron on. I'm sure that person was probably responsible too... human error, simple as that.

So please, think twice for all of our safety.

Archived