Excursions showing booked on the app

tbmrt

I know Rockstars have first crack at booking excursions.  That being said mostly all our San Juan excursions are showing BOOKED on the app a month before our trip.

If they show BOOKED now (in this case a catamaran trip) do additional spots open at embarkation?

1 hour ago, tbmrt said:

I know Rockstars have first crack at booking excursions.  That being said mostly all our San Juan excursions are showing BOOKED on the app a month before our trip.

If they show BOOKED now (in this case a catamaran trip) do additional spots open at embarkation?

You can never predict.  Since excursions are operated by third party vendors, vv will contact the vendors to see whether they can offer additional spots,  In addition, people do cancel.  Part of the problem is that people will sometimes book whatever they might be interested in, knowing that if they cancel early enough, they can get their money back to their credit card.  This gives a mentality of "better grab it now, we can always change our minds later,"

All you can do is to keep checking back, both before and after boarding,  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

You can never predict.  Since excursions are operated by third party vendors, vv will contact the vendors to see whether they can offer additional spots,  In addition, people do cancel.  Part of the problem is that people will sometimes book whatever they might be interested in, knowing that if they cancel early enough, they can get their money back to their credit card.  This gives a mentality of "better grab it now, we can always change our minds later,"

All you can do is to keep checking back, both before and after boarding,  

You are a wealth of knowledge...Thanks!  Since the excursion my family is interested in is a catamaran, I'm doubting that the vendor can get additional spots.  Guess it may be best for them to book a non VV catamaran tour rather than hope one becomes available.  I don't want to book that way because I want to use some of my loot and would be happy with another excursion or use for the loot.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tbmrt said:

Guess it may be best for them to book a non VV catamaran tour rather than hope one becomes available.  I don't want to book that way because I want to use some of my loot and would be happy with another excursion or use for the loot.  

Doing a quick look on Viator it seems like there are catamaran tours with 24 hour cancellation policies, so you could see if something opened up after you board and cancel the 3rd party tour if it did.  That way you could use your loot to book the excursion.

6 hours ago, tbmrt said:

You are a wealth of knowledge...Thanks!  Since the excursion my family is interested in is a catamaran, I'm doubting that the vendor can get additional spots.  Guess it may be best for them to book a non VV catamaran tour rather than hope one becomes available.  I don't want to book that way because I want to use some of my loot and would be happy with another excursion or use for the loot.  

The vendor may be able to add more boats (and bus or anything else needed on this or other excursions).  Also check other third party vendors.  Viator and Shore Excursions Group are reputable and work on a "you won't be charged if your ship can't dock" and guarantee we'll get you back on time basis.  Shore Excursions Group claims that they've never failed to have anyone back on time, and if they do, they will get you to the next port, cover all your expenses in the interim (hotel, food, etc) and give you $1000 cash,