Help with flab urgently needed

Can any ladies out there help with my problem, which I realise is a bit off topic fashion-wise. I am the correct weight for my height, with skinny everything except my stomach; this is a nightmare 36" and looks awful (not helped by 3 babies in the dim and distant past, weighing between 10lbs and 11lbs 9ozs). Have coped in the past with cunningingly chosen separates, but now need formal dresses (v. formal cruise), and they look appalling. Can't lose weight as it falls off the wrong places, and don't need my face caving in any more (in my early 50s). What is the best exercise to at least firm it up a bit?

To any chaps reading this (would prefer you don't), I promise not to wear bikinis if you forego your Speedos.

Thanks, Mary

Good Morning Mary, I was just reading your post and had to chuckle- my friend has a similar problem and she solves this by wearing her "iron maiden" Which is a one piece control garment with a built in bra. It does the trick beautifully, and there are many styles, including convertible, or strapless as well. As for exercise, have you tried yoga style ab work? Or Pilates? Few of us have our figures from our younger years, don't be so critical! Good luck-

Tami

I agree that yoga and/or pilates is your best bet for firming up those muscles. But, it is not a short term fix and also cannot affect the area is the problem is actually fat (not meant to be insulting at all here, just stating the facts) as it addresses the muscles underneath.

I am not sure from your post if you are looking at a short term bandaid solution or a long term committment. I am a regular, daily exerciser and consider it a priority in my life, both for long term health and weight management.

Diet and exercise are ultimately the only answer (not including surgery, of course) if the "shaper" garments are not the answer.

I agree that yoga and/or pilates is your best bet for firming up those muscles. But, it is not a short term fix and also cannot affect the area is the problem is actually fat (not meant to be insulting at all here, just stating the facts) as it addresses the muscles underneath.

I am not sure from your post if you are looking at a short term bandaid solution or a long term committment. I am a regular, daily exerciser and consider it a priority in my life, both for long term health and weight management.

Diet and exercise are ultimately the only answer (not including surgery, of course) if the "shaper" garments are not the answer.

Thanks, and yes the problem is fat (if I resorted to liposuction, there's enough there to solve the energy crisis). Had a horrible feeling the solution was exercise, but I'm definitely not disciplined enough to do anything long term; the band aid solution will do nicely.

Regards, Mary

Thanks, and yes the problem is fat (if I resorted to liposuction, there's enough there to solve the energy crisis). Had a horrible feeling the solution was exercise, but I'm definitely not disciplined enough to do anything long term; the band aid solution will do nicely.

Regards, Mary

Then how about going to a specialty lingerie store and seeing if they have any options for you? There are so many options these days for control garments.

Have you tried separates for formal wear? There are so many styles out there today that surely there is one to suit your needs.

I have a good friend that carries her weight in the middle as well. We spend hours shopping for special event clothing and I know how frustrated she gets. Your best bet is to enlist the aid of a great shopping buddy and go for it! I do this for my friend and we are ultimately successful!

Cap off the expedition with a martini to celebrate your fashion find!

Resigned myself at 30 that diet and exercise would have to be a lifelong thing.

Sigh.

Caviargirl is right on the money. There are no exercises that will make your stomache smaller and in fact, some will make you bigger.

If you start doing tons of crunches and don't lose the fat, the muscle will get larger pushing the fat out. Does that make sense?

The only way to get rid of the fat is to diet it off or suck it out.

I am in the same " boat" as you.

Two c-sections & a hysterectomy. 2 surgeries ,with one big scar & tons of stretch marks on top!.

Good thing I have been married for 33years.

I would never let anyone else see my stomach.

I too, lost 30 lbs, but the blobby fat remained.My face got too thin.

There are worse things in life.I am happy to be healthy & enjoying life.

I have started excersing 3 times a week for an hour & I have Gained weight!!! Discouraging.

Everyone says muscle weighs more than fat.

That's not much encouragement, but i will persist.

I always find looser type tops --nothing that hugs the offending area.

Have fun--don't worry about it.

Remember too that your tummy is much more noticable to you than to anyone else.

Most people on a cruise are so wrapped up in having a good time and being concerned with how THEY look to hardly even notice anything else.

Wear a nice dress/outfit and hold your head high!

D.

Resigned myself at 30 that diet and exercise would have to be a lifelong thing.

Sigh.

Caviargirl is right on the money. There are no exercises that will make your stomache smaller and in fact, some will make you bigger.

If you start doing tons of crunches and don't lose the fat, the muscle will get larger pushing the fat out. Does that make sense?

The only way to get rid of the fat is to diet it off or suck it out.[/quote

BlueHerons, I am glad to know that I have company in my lifestyle commitments as I made those decisions many years ago as well.

I have been running for 21 years now and lifting weights for 11. I also do yoga which keeps the aches and pains at bay that I accumulate from everything else I do! And watching what I eat is simpl

I will be 50 in 3 weeks (EGADS!) and, although the effort to maintain gets harder and harder, it is ultimately worth it (or so I tell myself when I head out at 6:30 to run).

Remember too that your tummy is much more noticable to you than to anyone else.

Most people on a cruise are so wrapped up in having a good time and being concerned with how THEY look to hardly even notice anything else.

Wear a nice dress/outfit and hold your head high!

D.

Gosh, you're all stars, thank you again. Afraid that instead of holding my head high I'll be holding my stomach in (not good at multi-tasking). So reassuring to know other people have this problem; we always think it's just us, don't we. And, agree that in the great scheme of things it really doesn't matter, so crop tops and bikinis here I come (perhaps not...)

Think the solution lies in industrial strength undergarments; any suggestions for web sites (can't face ultra slim sales assistant seeing the true horror of my middle region).

Regards, Mary

and I've been looking in a lot of places for some good camouflage!:D

Have you tried something that's an A-line with an empire waist (so it gets wider before the tummy)?

While cruising around on eBay I did find a seller (formallyyours227) that has some great looking stuff at reasonable prices (<$100). They had some gorgeous 2-piecers that I'm seriously considering; my cruisemate is a good friend who's a great ballroom dancer, so their "8-yard skirts" are really appealing to me as they'll look spectacular on turns.

Good luck!

I wish there was a magical excercise to firm the tummy right up ...but since there isn't, I would have to go with finding a dress that would camoflage the area you are concerned with as roofing princess has said.

I have no experience with undergarments of this nature, so I can offer no help there.

Just please don't try any starvation diets...it only makes it worse.

I'm sure you'll find a dress or undergarment that will take your focus off of what you see as a flaw and make you feel beautiful :)

Let us know what you decide!

~e

You are all great; thanks again. This board is considerably better for Anglo/American relations than Blair and Bush will ever be.

The fashion here for this summer is the baby doll look - this would provide perfect camouflage, but looks amazingly daft on anyone over the age of 20.

Thanks for web address; hopefully they can post to UK (without our lovely government grabbing import tax).

Regards, Mary

If the skin is loose no amount of abdominal exercises will tighten it up. Weight loss might even make the skin looser. Short of a tummy tuck, the best trick is with carefully chosen clothing that camoulflages the area as best as possible. Restrictive undergarments are the other solution. They can be hot and uncomfortable.

I learned this trick from those two really funny British ladies that grab women in department stores and do makeovers. While I don't agree with all their ideas, one that works really well is to use low contrast clothing colors on top and bottom to elongate the look and not call attention to the abdominal area. For example, wear a medium blue top and a darker blue bottom (skirt, pants.) Don't wear a white top and dark blue bottom.

Belts are very fashionable right now, but you may not be able to wear belted clothing because it can call attention to the area you want to minimize. Of course, don't wear pleated pants or skirts.

Hi,

The spanx are great...they will coming with me also. They are firm enough to hold the chub but aso allow you the occasional breath.

I also agree with the separates/color theory. I am more of the apple type figure so find that I look best with a darker color on top and more pattern or color on the bottom.

For formal night I have a top by Tadashi in an Electic blue color that comes down over the tummy and a long, black flowy skirt. Slimming. Ebay is great for Tadashi tops as at Nordstrom or Neimans they are not too cheap.

Good Luck!

A:D

Didn't know you could get Trinny and Susannah over there (the wonders of satellite I suppose). They frighten me to death, but have some v. good tips and I like the way they tell people to disguise faults rather than starve themselves.

You're all great, thanks a million, Mary

My suggestion would be a pretty 50's style party dress. The waist should be an empire waist and a full A-line skirt. Pretty dress playing up all your best feautres, plus I find them very comfortable and look sophisticated on everyone. Hope this helps. I'm glad you opened up this thread too. Now I'm not as concenred about what other people think on the cruise because everyone is thinking like me! I say replace Blair and Bush and instead set up an international diplomatic entourage to meet up at the mall and everyone try and find formals together! There's no better way to improve relations once everyone realizes that we each hate our stomachs :)

Archived