Malta Meeting Spot

16 hours ago, LBShell said:

Where should we request meeting our driver? 

it will be very busy at the exit gate as that is where drivers, taxis and other transport providors such as HOHOS wait,  but you could turn right on exit and arrange somewhere on that waterfront road if you need an alternative. It is the road you would walk on if you were heading for the lift to take you up to the Upper Barrakka Gardens.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

it will be very busy at the exit gate as that is where drivers, taxis and other transport providors such as HOHOS wait,  but you could turn right on exit and arrange somewhere on that waterfront road if you need an alternative. It is the road you would walk on if you were heading for the lift to take you up to the Upper Barrakka Gardens.

I rarely disagree with you, but it is not up to the OP to pick the best spot. She has never been there.  The driver was probably born there. The driver knows where they can park, where the best spot is.  They have done this many times. They should exchange phone numbers so the driver can notify her of unexpected changes. @LBShell doesn't need the extra stress of figuring out a spot in a strange port.

13 minutes ago, marazul said:

@LBShell doesn't need the extra stress of figuring out a spot in a strange port.

I totally agree which is why I was keeping it simple.  The area immediately outside the exit is not only busy, but on our visits was also organised (after a fashion) chaos as so many transport providors were touting for business as cruise passengers exited.  There were also horses and carriages adding to the crowd,  whereas the waterfront road is in the immediate vicinity and generally much quieter.

OP, Do go  up on deck early as the sail-in to the Grand Harbour is very impressive. IMHO one of the loveliest anywhere. Local boat trips are offered but you will get to enjoy it twice, once on the way in, again on the way out, although IMHO  the views coming into port are more impressive than those when leaving. For the best views,  a bow facing  or starboard position is recommended.

Edited by edinburgher

On 1/28/2024 at 2:49 PM, LBShell said:

We are hiring a private driver for touring Malta after arrival on NCL Epic. Where should we request meeting our driver? 

Hi,

We will be in Malta for our first time in September and are interested in hiring a taxi once we arrive, or a driver in advance to take us around the island. Can you give me the name and website of your driver you hired in advance?

Thank you!

4 hours ago, llarsen said:

Hi,

We will be in Malta for our first time in September and are interested in hiring a taxi once we arrive, or a driver in advance to take us around the island. Can you give me the name and website of your driver you hired in advance?

Thank you!

I hired a driver through Viator (I cannot vouch for reliability etc as we haven't done it yet) This is the link

https://www.viator.com/en-ZA/tours/Malta/Your-Fun-Private-Local-Driver-all-around-Malta-and-Gozo/d4141-438381P1    This listing allowed us to book 5 hours rather than a full day.  

3 hours ago, LBShell said:

I hired a driver through Viator (I cannot vouch for reliability etc as we haven't done it yet) This is the link

https://www.viator.com/en-ZA/tours/Malta/Your-Fun-Private-Local-Driver-all-around-Malta-and-Gozo/d4141-438381P1    This listing allowed us to book 5 hours rather than a full day.  

Take the full day! You'd be silly to just book the 5-hours. 

On 1/29/2024 at 10:29 AM, edinburgher said:

I totally agree which is why I was keeping it simple.  The area immediately outside the exit is not only busy, but on our visits was also organised (after a fashion) chaos as so many transport providors were touting for business as cruise passengers exited.  There were also horses and carriages adding to the crowd,  whereas the waterfront road is in the immediate vicinity and generally much quieter.

OP, Do go  up on deck early as the sail-in to the Grand Harbour is very impressive. IMHO one of the loveliest anywhere. Local boat trips are offered but you will get to enjoy it twice, once on the way in, again on the way out, although IMHO  the views coming into port are more impressive than those when leaving. For the best views,  a bow facing  or starboard position is recommended.

Thanks for this info. I asked because I am concerned about the chaos you describe.  And w we will be sure to be on deck for the view! Your advice us sincerely appreciated. 

On 2/1/2024 at 6:33 PM, LBShell said:

Thanks for this info. I asked because I am concerned about the chaos you describe.

"chaos" may have been the wrong choice of word, but it has been busy busy  at the exit each time we visited, and of course if there is  more than one ship visiting that day,  the number of vendors looking for busines increases.

Do exchange tel numbers with your local  tour provider and  take his/her advice on where to meet, as mine was only a suggestion based on past observations and experience.

Edited by edinburgher