Taking a rollator on a plane

For those of you who travel with a rollator, when traveling on a plane have you been able to store the rollator in the cabin of the plane or do you have to gate check it and have it stored in the cargo area during the flight? We are flying on an Embraer 175 which is not a huge plane, but not tiny either. I called the airline, but they are not able to tell me where the rollator will be stored. They just tell me that it is ok to travel with the device.

If you have had to store (gate check) the rollator in the cargo area, do you first cover it with a travel bag or just fold it and store as is?

Thank you for any insight or advice you can provide.

We had a foldable wheelchair stowed in the wheelchair closet of a plane last November.   I first  requested this be done at the ticket counter (they told me to tell the personnel at the gate counter) and then again requested this at the gate counter.   The gate counter personnel said that it was ultimately up to the flight personnel whether or not it could be stowed in the wheelchair closet.   We took the wheelchair to the door of the plane and requested it be stowed inside the plane.   The flight attendants do not necessarily want to do this since they like to put their own stuff in the wheelchair closet.  We did get to stow the wheelchair in the closet.   We usually gate check the wheelchair but this past November we had a short layover and did not want to wait for the wheelchair to be brought up from below. 

We have never bagged anything that is gate checked.  And I actually don't recall ever seeing anyone ever bagging anything that was gate checked.   

I would take the rollator to the door of the plane and let them know you want to stow it in the wheelchair closet.   As long as someone else has not already stowed their wheelchair or rollator in the closet, you should be able to do this.  

Here's a good article on this subject from John Morris: 

https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/flying-with-manual-wheelchair/

Rollators are almost always stored in cargo. There is no need to put it in a bag.

You will need to get a gate tag on it.

Expect it to take 10-15 minutes at the destination airport for the rollator to reappear.

On 1/29/2024 at 6:03 AM, fluffyclouds said:

For those of you who travel with a rollator, when traveling on a plane have you been able to store the rollator in the cabin of the plane or do you have to gate check it and have it stored in the cargo area during the flight? We are flying on an Embraer 175 which is not a huge plane, but not tiny either. I called the airline, but they are not able to tell me where the rollator will be stored. They just tell me that it is ok to travel with the device.

If you have had to store (gate check) the rollator in the cargo area, do you first cover it with a travel bag or just fold it and store as is?

I travel with mine and have to gate check it. No cover needed.   I make sure my basket is emptied and usually by the time I get to the front of the aircraft, it's waiting for me when I get off the plane. (Once it hadn't shown up and the pilot actually went down to get it for me.)

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have received different opinions on what will happen so I was looking for information from people with firsthand experience. We are leaving soon. Hope it goes well. I would prefer the rollator be kept in the cabin, but will go with the flow. Glad to hear a storage bag is not necessary.

On 1/29/2024 at 12:03 PM, fluffyclouds said:

For safety I had a bespoke bag made. As boarding the plane they will take it off you. Insist on protecting it and that it will be available immediately you leave the plane. 

• 1 month later...

we use wheelchairs in the airport (with pushers) and send the rollator with luggage.  it works best if it is secured with bungee cords or tied together.  It comes out with "oversized luggage."

• Like 1

On my next trip (beginning of May) I plan to take my rollator that converts to a transfer chair and use a "pusher" from the airport.  I should be able to take it right to the door of the plane, have them stow it, and have it at the door at the other end - if they don't break it!

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 7:24 PM, bwgreen said:

On my next trip (beginning of May) I plan to take my rollator that converts to a transfer chair and use a "pusher" from the airport.  I should be able to take it right to the door of the plane, have them stow it, and have it at the door at the other end - if they don't break it!

Hi, I used to do this with the Rollz I had for my late husband. There’s less chance of them damaging what is an expensive piece of equipment. The can use the transfer chair to access airplane seat. Ensure you book assistance at the airport via your airline! They can use their wheelchair and you could walk with the Rollz type convertible folded. I had a bag for it and wheeled alongside. Anything to avoid it been damaged by putting in the hold. Hope this helps