Rookie question on Norwegian Jade dining

My apologies for the rookie question, this will be my first time on NCL. Are the Specialty Restaurants and the A La Carte Restaurants both covered when buying a Meal Specialty Dining Package? If so, how does the latter  pricing structure figure into the package costs. I’m looking at the 25-night cruises and thinking of maybe adding a 9- or 10-night package in addition to being able to eat at all of the included options. Thanks for the help, tips, and any insights! 

6 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

My apologies for the rookie question, this will be my first time on NCL. Are the Specialty Restaurants and the A La Carte Restaurants both covered when buying a Meal Specialty Dining Package? If so, how does the latter  pricing structure figure into the package costs. I’m looking at the 25-night cruises and thinking of maybe adding a 9- or 10-night package in addition to being able to eat at all of the included options. Thanks for the help, tips, and any insights! 

Yes, both are covered. Essentially, the "all you can eat" concept at Moderno and Teppanyaki (slightly different concept but still a flat-rate) means you'd normally pay $50 or whatever it is, and you can use the SDP (Specialty dining package) on that and on places like La Cucina, Le Bistro, and Cagney's that are a-la-carte. Those typically include an appetizer, salad or soup, entree and dessert. Since you're new to NCL, you might not be aware that they have started limiting folks to just one of each category (so you can't get 2 entrees at Cagney's, for instance), but experience tells me you can get multiple appetizers and desserts. My wife is vegetarian so she can get multiple app's, an entree, sides, etc. with no problem.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, both are covered. Essentially, the "all you can eat" concept at Moderno and Teppanyaki 

I wouldn't consider Teppanyaki an "all you can eat" restaurant, but I agree with everything else you said.

EDIT: Upon further review, I may have misread your statement. Oops...never mind. Old age rearing its ugly head again.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I wouldn't consider Teppanyaki an "all you can eat" restaurant, but I agree with everything else you said.

EDIT: Upon further review, I may have misread your statement. Oops...never mind. Old age rearing its ugly head again.

No worries. I wasn't sure my OWN comment made sense, LOL. 😁 EDIT for the OP: Teppanyaki is a Japanese-type restaurant where the chef does a little show with fried rice, egg, and various meats like steak or chicken. They do serve you a little salad and miso soup and a dessert. @schmoopie17 is correct that it isn't all-you-can-eat, but it is a flat-rate restaurant. Hope that helps!

Edited by DCGuy64
added context
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, both are covered…

GREAT answer! As I had alluded to I’m comparing cruises, and the one main other ship I’ve narrowed it down to - as really, really nice as it is - severely lacks in number and variety of options for lunch/dinner, etc. I know cruising is more than just about eating, but having at least a dozen different options, with some great specialty dining and a 24/7 sit-down alternative, it’s a lot better than just six choices. Especially when I’m going to be on the ship for more than 2-3 weeks. 😁

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, g683002 said:

If you’re new to NCL, you might consider getting 100 shares of stock. If you’re taking a long cruise like this, you’d get $250 in onboard credit just for being a shareholder. That can cover some of your meals. 

https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/shareholder-benefits/shareholder-benefit-faqs

Thanks for this information. Do you know: can the 100 shares be in a mutual fund or ETF?

44 minutes ago, benel204 said:

Thanks for this information. Do you know: can the 100 shares be in a mutual fund or ETF?

It states you have to own the shares of NCLH. If they’re in a fund, I don’t know how you’d prove ownership of a specific number is shares. 

• Thanks 1