Has anyone tried the New Menu Vegetarian options ?

DW and i are on the Horizon in May she has issues with milk products. She is looking to mostly order from the Vegetarian side of the menu in the MDR. Has anyone had any of the New Menu Vegetarian options and what did you think or like.

I had a few of the items on the vegan  menu in October on the Celebration. The few things I had were all great! The server said I was the first person he’s had that had ordered any of it. 

Make sure you swipe on the menu to find the full vegan menu as it changes every day. If you search on here, I posted each menu that was on our ship day to day. 

15 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

DW and i are on the Horizon in May she has issues with milk products. She is looking to mostly order from the Vegetarian side of the menu in the MDR. Has anyone had any of the New Menu Vegetarian options and what did you think or like.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HangryGrl said:

Yay!  That is my review!  Glad you enjoyed it!

OP - Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer as best I can.  🙂 

You did a great job! I loved reading it, and enjoyed trying some of the dishes on one of my cruises. 

• Like 1

Hi, Carnival first timer here.

If you preorder the port day express breakfast do you book a time?

15 hours ago, HangryGrl said:

OP - Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer as best I can.  🙂 

Oh and is oat or almond milk available please?

Edited by Sonyar

16 hours ago, HangryGrl said:

Not the OP but I do have a question based on your pictures in the review. I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years and the last time I tried vegan cheese was probably 25 years ago. It was horrible! It looked like plastic and didn't melt at all. Just recently I was thinking of trying it again, thinking it HAS to be better all these years later, but based on your pictures it looks like it still doesn't melt real well. Can you tell me your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Sonyar said:

Hi, Carnival first timer here.

If you preorder the port day express breakfast do you book a time?

Oh and is oat or almond milk available please?

We did not book a time, just showed up and let the wait staff know we had pre-ordered.  I think we only had one super early morning and we skipped the dining room and just got some fruit and stuff from the buffet.

My husband was able to get almond milk in the dining room one morning and I know they had soy but I am not sure about oat milk.  We don't do a lot of plant-based milks aside from using them for cooking occasionally.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bollycats said:

Not the OP but I do have a question based on your pictures in the review. I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years and the last time I tried vegan cheese was probably 25 years ago. It was horrible! It looked like plastic and didn't melt at all. Just recently I was thinking of trying it again, thinking it HAS to be better all these years later, but based on your pictures it looks like it still doesn't melt real well. Can you tell me your thoughts?

I’m a vegetarian and try to not eat dairy as much as possible. Plant based cheese has come a very long way!! I didn’t have any melted cheese on the last cruise just what’s on the Cesar salad, but YES vegan cheese is amazing now! 

There are still some crap ones, but Miyoko’s brand is fantastic! Plus there are a lot of small companies making great vegan cheeses now. 

I have to be dairy-free (stupid allergy) and I was so excited to try so many of the vegan offerings on the new menus! I had some hits (spaghetti carbonara) and misses (biscuits and gravy) but overall, I was happy with the many choices I had!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bollycats said:

There are some amazing vegan chesses now but whatever Carnival used did not melt well.  It tasted ok but I also have issues with that weird texture so I mostly picked things without the vegan cheese or asked for it without (breakfast sandwiches).  My husband doesn't mind the texture as much so most of those pics were of his food.  We just picked up the new oat milk Diaya last week and highly recommend!!  It melts super well, tastes great and has much better texture melted than anything we have had so far.  We even made quesadillas and mu husband was in heaven!  😄 I still prefer Vio Life for unmelted applications but that is just my preference.

2 hours ago, gopackgo21 said:

I’m a vegetarian and try to not eat dairy as much as possible. Plant based cheese has come a very long way!! I didn’t have any melted cheese on the last cruise just what’s on the Cesar salad, but YES vegan cheese is amazing now! 

There are still some crap ones, but Miyoko’s brand is fantastic! Plus there are a lot of small companies making great vegan cheeses now. 

I guess I'll try it again, thanks.

1 hour ago, HangryGrl said:

There are some amazing vegan chesses now but whatever Carnival used did not melt well.  It tasted ok but I also have issues with that weird texture so I mostly picked things without the vegan cheese or asked for it without (breakfast sandwiches).  My husband doesn't mind the texture as much so most of those pics were of his food.  We just picked up the new oat milk Diaya last week and highly recommend!!  It melts super well, tastes great and has much better texture melted than anything we have had so far.  We even made quesadillas and mu husband was in heaven!  😄 I still prefer Vio Life for unmelted applications but that is just my preference.

Thanks, I'll try it again at home, but probably not on the cruise. I'm with you, I can't handle the texture. (and the look of it)

We were on the Spirit last month and tried ordering from the new vegan menu a couple of times. But each time we did, our waiter looked confused, walked away from the table for a minute and then came back and said that it "wasn't available." So we just stuck to the regular menu after that.

19 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

We were on the Spirit last month and tried ordering from the new vegan menu a couple of times. But each time we did, our waiter looked confused, walked away from the table for a minute and then came back and said that it "wasn't available." So we just stuck to the regular menu after that.

Did you ask the night before for the following evening?  They won't let you order same night.  We did have some evenings it wasn't available but we were thinking it is because they probably only have 7 nights worth and our cruise was 15.

4 minutes ago, HangryGrl said:

Did you ask the night before for the following evening?  They won't let you order same night.  We did have some evenings it wasn't available but we were thinking it is because they probably only have 7 nights worth and our cruise was 15.

We didn't. I didn't realize it was the sort of thing you had to order the day before. We just saw a couple things that looked tasty on the vegan menu when we pulled up that night's menus in the MDR. The servers didn't say that we had to order off that menu in advance. And I don't remember seeing that noted on the menu or in the app. 

33 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

We didn't. I didn't realize it was the sort of thing you had to order the day before. We just saw a couple things that looked tasty on the vegan menu when we pulled up that night's menus in the MDR. The servers didn't say that we had to order off that menu in advance. And I don't remember seeing that noted on the menu or in the app. 

Yea, we were told everything on the vegan menus for all meals was order ahead only.  We ordered both breakfast for the next morning and dinner for the next evening at dinner each evening.  The very first day we went to see the maitre'd during their open hours and they had the menu available for us to order for the first evenings dinner.

5 hours ago, HangryGrl said:

Did you ask the night before for the following evening?  They won't let you order same night. 

That wasn't my experience at all on my 10-night Christmas cruise on Venezia. While I occasionally ordered the night before because my wife needed to oder her gluten-free items in advance, I normally just waited until the same evening to order off of the vegan menu. The only pushback I received (if you can call it that) was that I sometimes was told that it would take longer to receive my entree'. But I was never outright refused the option of ordering from the vegan menu for that same night.

9 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

That wasn't my experience at all on my 10-night Christmas cruise on Venezia. While I occasionally ordered the night before because my wife needed to oder her gluten-free items in advance, I normally just waited until the same evening to order off of the vegan menu. The only pushback I received (if you can call it that) was that I sometimes was told that it would take longer to receive my entree'. But I was never outright refused the option of ordering from the vegan menu for that same night.

Interesting.  How long ago was this?  We went on Miracle right after the menus were released (weren't even available on the app yet) so I wonder if it was just a training/newness of concept issue?

1 hour ago, HangryGrl said:

Interesting.  How long ago was this?  We went on Miracle right after the menus were released (weren't even available on the app yet) so I wonder if it was just a training/newness of concept issue?

About 6 weeks ago. December 18th-28th on Venezia out of Manhattan.

I was able to order the night of from the vegan menu on our NYE's Panorama cruise.  We had anytime dining.

I had the mushroom soup, stuffed mushrooms, fried tomatoes, and Caesar salad, all of which I enjoyed.  I also had he vegetable spring rolls, but they aren't new.  I know there were other things I had, just can't remember.  I will say that I don't recall having a bad dish.