Invergordon Port - Uber, Taxi...

Looking to do our own thing in Invergordon versus a ship tour. Considering visiting the town of Inverness and possibly Culloden and Urquhart Castle. Is Uber readily available in these areas? 

Uber does not operate in Inverness or Invergordon.

You’ll need a local taxi or, much cheaper, regular local buses from Invergordon into Inverness (roughly every half hour, takes about an hour). There’s also an infrequent train service.

Urquhart castle is also accessible by bus from Inverness. Cawdor castle (which I suspect is what you meant) is not so you’d need a taxi.

Edited by gumshoe958

On 2/4/2024 at 6:21 PM, kaiiak said:

Looking to do our own thing in Invergordon versus a ship tour. Considering visiting the town of Inverness and possibly Culloden and Urquhart Castle. Is Uber readily available in these areas? 

As noted above Uber doesn't operate in Invergordon. Local taxis are available near the port exit gates. They charge around £50 per hour for day tours.

You can easily reach Inverness by public transport. You can reach Culloden by local bus from Inverness quite easily.

If you wanted to visit Urquhart Castle you would need to go back to Inverness and then catch another bus to Urquhart Castle. This bus can be extremely busy on port days and having a ticket doesn't mean you are guaranteed a ride. 

I've written a detailed guide on how to get from Invergordon to Inverness by public transport (train, bus) or by taxi. 

There are a number of private tour operators operating group or private small group, or private car tours from Invergordon that could easily combine these elements together for you.

Personally, I think it would be difficult to do all this on public transport from Invergordon as the timings would be very difficult to co-ordinate, meaning you would lose a lot of time waiting and transferring.

Hope that's helpful.

7 hours ago, TheProfessionalTraveller said:

As noted above Uber doesn't operate in Invergordon. Local taxis are available near the port exit gates. They charge around £50 per hour for day tours.

You can easily reach Inverness by public transport. You can reach Culloden by local bus from Inverness quite easily.

If you wanted to visit Urquhart Castle you would need to go back to Inverness and then catch another bus to Urquhart Castle. This bus can be extremely busy on port days and having a ticket doesn't mean you are guaranteed a ride. 

I've written a detailed guide on how to get from Invergordon to Inverness by public transport (train, bus) or by taxi. 

There are a number of private tour operators operating group or private small group, or private car tours from Invergordon that could easily combine these elements together for you.

Personally, I think it would be difficult to do all this on public transport from Invergordon as the timings would be very difficult to co-ordinate, meaning you would lose a lot of time waiting and transferring.

Hope that's helpful.

Thank you. Very helpful. We do not have a specific plan yet, but are doing tours in almost all other ports so were hoping to be a bit more relaxed in this port. Taxi sounds like a good option. If it is too difficult to go to all of it,  will probably likely stick to Culloden and Inverness.

On 2/6/2024 at 2:15 PM, TheProfessionalTraveller said:

Hope that's helpful.

Any ideas on cost for the private cars for the day? Princess is wanting about $2000 for the day which seems a bit excessive. Thanks for any help!

2 hours ago, danda0624 said:

Any ideas on cost for the private cars for the day? Princess is wanting about $2000 for the day which seems a bit excessive. Thanks for any help!

Yes my eyes did a double take when I saw the prices for private cars! You should be able to get a private car for significantly less. There are various tour operators on Viator and Get Your Guide that do private tours. There is a mix of smaller group tours - maximum 8 or private car tours where you can arrange your own itinerary completely