Docking in Venice Italy

jinpasco

I was excited to know we would be in Venice overnight. Then I recalled there are new  restrictions on large ships no longer docking close to town. Anyone have a recent experience in docking there ? This would be on the Statendam.

Trieste is a lovely city and you can walk right from the dock.  We had 2 days there is September, and took an independent tour to Lake Bled one day and walked around Trieste on the other.  There are some Roman ruins there.

We had spent 3 days in Venice previously so felt no need to visit there.  Many of our shipmates took the train there for the day and some even stayed overnight.

Edited by ColonyGirl2
Addition
  • Like 1

Trieste is absolutely lovely, although I might be biased because my mother-in-law grew up there. There are tons of museums, it's very walkable. Be sure to go to San Guisto and Miramare Castle!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlnprt said:

Trieste is absolutely lovely, although I might be biased because my mother-in-law grew up there. There are tons of museums, it's very walkable. Be sure to go to San Guisto and Miramare Castle!

Thank you for the ideas. Its nice to have 2 days to.plan.

4 hours ago, jinpasco said:

I guess I focused on the word Venice but it does say Trieste in parenthesis on the paperwork.   On to checking excursions for the correct town. Thank you

We just got a port change on HAL another cruise and it says (Skagway) for our Haines Alaska stop too - a bit deceptive since it too is several hours away by shore excursion.  But then Hanoi, Saigon, Tokyo,  Bangkok and Beijing are also now many hours way by bus/train too.  

How great they provide and overnight- that can make it the best of both worlds now. 

We were on the 12 day Med. on Oosterdam this past Sept. and finished in Venice (Trieste ). It is misleading to say Venice IMO-Trieste was not crowded and very nice but since this was our first time we were disappointed not seeing Venice. If we had known how far away it was we would have looked into disembarking at Trieste and staying overnight in Venice especially since our flight home was from there-maybe next time.