Are cruise ships stopping in Tobago since oil spill?

Is anyone currently on Jewel of the Seas? Wondering if they are going to stop in Tobago or Trinidad. From pics I've seen and articles I read, it sounds terrible and all are very concerned.

I've just read a bunch of articles on the spill. I didn't read anything that said it has reached Scarborough, where the cruise ships dock. One article mentioned that cruise ships were still being allowed to dock. This is their "Carnival" week (or weeks) which is huge for tourism. I'm sure they will do everything they can to allow the tourists to get to shore.

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I've just read a bunch of articles on the spill. I didn't read anything that said it has reached Scarborough, where the cruise ships dock. One article mentioned that cruise ships were still being allowed to dock. This is their "Carnival" week (or weeks) which is huge for tourism. I'm sure they will do everything they can to allow the tourists to get to shore.

Based on the graphic in the link above, you'd have to go through the oil slick to get into Scarborough.  Obviously that wouldn't hurt the ship, but could hinder cleanup efforts.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

Was in port on Jewel last week when the spill happened.  When we left you could see some oil in the water and there was a faint smell as well.  Did not see the source of the spill but you tube is full of videos showing it.

• Like 1