Late Flight Out of Reykjavik: What to Do?

GMIAC

I'm looking for suggestions for what to do in or around Reykjavik if our cruise disembarks in the morning (we'd probably have to be off by 9AM?) and our return flight isn't until 4:30PM. Will Regent take our bags from the ship to the airport while we galavant around town? What should we do/see? Are there recommended day tours or tour groups? I know there's not a whole lot of time we're talking about here, but I'd rather not sit at the airport for six hours. Any other pointers and suggestions are welcome. 

No guarantees, but if you are transferring with Regent, they often offer both a straight-to-airport option for early flights and a tour enroute option for those with later departures.  We've done a number of these and they have been pretty good.

Obviously, best if someone who has ended their voyage in Reykjavik recently has the details. 

Edited by Portolan

Simple, you can book a bus that will take you to the Blue Lagoon and then, when you're ready, on to the airport (which is nearby).  This of course is dependent on the Blue Lagoon being open as it has recently been closed due to volcanic activity. 

• Thanks 1

Just got back from a four day trip to Reykjavik.  Keflavik is about an hours drive from. Downtown.  There are many museums, all charge about $20 per person although some have over 67 discounts.  If you are there in warmer weather, there a number of public spaces to walk.  The downtown is compact, so walkable.  Many restaurants.  Prices are comparable with big cities, i.e. somewhat expensive.  Have fun

• Like 1

Call Regent or have your TA do so.  They WILL have a transfer (included if you booked your air through Regent).  The only question is whether, as the have done in the past, the late flight transfer includes a tour enroute.

You absolutely don’t want to arrive very early at the airport as they’ll only let you check in ages hours before your flight and there are no facilities other than a few chairs available before check-in and security.

• Like 1

I have participated in the Regent day tour excursions, they are good for the most part, but here is a warning - generally they will get you to the airport three hours before the earliest flight of the passengers participating. So if someone in the group has a flight at 5:00pm and other have flights at 9:00pm, you will be dropped off at the airport around 2:00pm. Although I have not done this is Reykjavik, in other port cities where there has been a long time lag between disembarking the ship and the time of my flight, I have hired a private guide with a car/small van for the day. This way you are on your time table, not that of the bus and you can decide what you do or do not want to do.

Edited by NYC-London

Last August, Regent supplied a very nice tour before going to the airport.  We were not informed of this option until a few days before the end of the cruise.  I had hired a private guide who I subsequently canceled.  We did have a somewhat long wait at the airport, but the lounge was quite adequate.  Hope that helps.

• Thanks 2