Hand tailored clothes in Hoi An

Carlea1961

My sister in law and myself are doing the Celebrity Asia tour, Nov, 2024, and we want to have some tailored clothes made.  For myself, a few pairs of dress pants and maybe a pair of shoes made.  As we only have a day in Hoi An, would there be enough time to have something made?  We do stop in Hanoi for a day and a half, would that be a better choice for some tailoring? and if so, does anyone recommend a shop?  Don't want to go cheap, but not exclusively high end either.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks so much!!  Looking forward to feed back!

Carlea

🙂

Hoi An is such a lovely city. We stopped there as a cruise ship port in January 2020, and liked it so much we returned for several days in January 2023. 

On a cruise stop, you will have a rushed visit to Hoi An, as it is a long way from where you port. 

When we were back in 2023, we had several custom clothing items made. We visited the shops and worked out designs, selected fabrics, and got measured on Day 1, this took about 2 hours. On Day 2, we went back for fittings on all of our items in the early afternoon, this took about 45 minutes. On Day 3, mid-morning, we went back to pick up our items. At this time, you do a final try on, and 2 of our items needed a further alteration. We had to return to pickup these last 2 items in the evening of Day 3. Some people do this in 2 days by placing order on Day 1, having fitting on Day 2, and having clothes shipped to them, but I don't recommend it, as if it is wrong then it is wrong. 

I posted about our trip (link below), the portion in Hoi An starts around post #22, and continues on. It mentions what shops we visited, and has a couple of photos of our clothes. 

• Like 1

Hanoi is a better bet for what you want.

If you visit the Silk Market and Shops in downtown Hanoi, you can be measured in the morning, have a fitting in your hotel room after lunch, and receive the final garments at your hotel in the evening.

All for a very attractive price.

Thank you Terry, Mike and Bruce!

That is good to know! We only have one day in Hoi An, so there will definitely not be enough time to have anything made then.  I think our best bet would be in Hanoi, where we are there for a day and a half.  I will look into the silk market, sounds wonderful!

Many thanks for all the advice!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!!  Unfortunately, we are not going into Hanoi as we are wanting to do a Halong Bay tour, and with the amount of time it takes to drive to Hanoi and back in one day and leave early the next morning to our tour, it wouldn't work...🙁darn....