First time on NCL. 9 Night European on Dawn

azjim66

Hey all, long time Carnival cruisers going on first NCL cruise. We booked a 9 night from Le Havre To Lisbon in October 2025 on the Dawn. All adults we did all the free at sea stuff and considering upgrading to free at sea plus because it is port intensive and I like top shelf whiskey. I understand the whiskey selection can vary per ship but the extra $50 per excursion seems like a good investment based on all the ports and the extra specialty dining might make it seem like a good deal. We usually book balcony cabins but got an inside on this one because the time of year and likely colder weather. Is upgrading a good idea from folks that have done a similar itinerary. We usually are not excursion type and like to diy the ports but that usually  meant finding a beach bar and chill for port days. We have never been to Europe before and anticipate lots of sightseeing. The Dawn is an older ship that appears similar to the Spirit class on Carnival , which we liked we are a couple in our late 50’s we always enjoyed the comedy shows on Carnival and hope that NCL has some of that. I am a cigar guy so I am sure I will enjoy the cigar lounge on the Dawn. Anyway just looking for some tips from NCL loyalists on what to upgrade and expectations. We are probably looking to arrive a few days early and depart a few days lat to explore Paris/ Honfluer and Lisbon is the NCL airfare deal something we should have considered(I did not add it at booking).We are traveling with a group of similar aged folks who like to party. Thanks in advance 

I was on the dawn last December in Dubai. I really liked the ship because it's small!

I liked going to the same bar every night talking to the same bartender and same guests.

I didn't visit any show so I can't talk on that.

I did FAS plus, mainly for extra dining and some nicer cocktails and Starbucks.

I felt it was worth it, as a solo traveller.

Can't speak for duo traveller because you get the extra excursion credit.

If you are not into big ships like me, you shall enjoy! (Why did I book ncl epic for winter 2025 lol)

• Like 1

If you don't have any seasickness issues, I'd book an inside on 12.  They are much newer added around 2011.  Quiet area, close to pool, buffet, one deck up to bar and front deck area.

• Like 1

Dittos to the above.  We have sailed the Dawn several times in Europe and have one more booked for June.  I enjoy the size of the ship.  We are Diamond on both CCL and NCL and I think you will find dining and activities very similar.

our favorite excursion was the Normandy beaches and American Cemetery.   We usually are diy people but the tour through Overlords Tours was beyond spectacular.  Probably the best excursion we have done in 90 cruises.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am booked for April 2025. I've read a lot of advice that you need to view actual port. Europe ports may be in industrial areas not right by attractions. So on your own requires more research.  I was told Naples is best done with cruise ship due to traffic to guarantee they wait.