Exit name or other helpful details driving to San Pedro cruise port in Southern California?

Long story but last time we cruised out of the San Pedro port our cab driver got lost both ways trying to go to Long Beach instead. I'm looking at Google Maps right now and plan to use Waze the day of (March 2nd) but on our cab ride the driver (who didn't speak English) seemed unsure of which exit to take. Are their any tricks you can share, maybe if you live in the area? We are driving our own car this time and parking at the port for the week.

It looks like we would end up going west on the 710 coming from Fullerton. Google maps says "Take exit 1C for Harbor Blvd toward Catalina Is/Ports O Call Village/San Pedro" Seems simple enough but in my cab ride the driver was confused. Are there any tricks or am I over thinking it?

Thanks!

Bobby

7 hours ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

Long story but last time we cruised out of the San Pedro port our cab driver got lost both ways trying to go to Long Beach instead. I'm looking at Google Maps right now and plan to use Waze the day of (March 2nd) but on our cab ride the driver (who didn't speak English) seemed unsure of which exit to take. Are their any tricks you can share, maybe if you live in the area? We are driving our own car this time and parking at the port for the week.

It looks like we would end up going west on the 710 coming from Fullerton. Google maps says "Take exit 1C for Harbor Blvd toward Catalina Is/Ports O Call Village/San Pedro" Seems simple enough but in my cab ride the driver was confused. Are there any tricks or am I over thinking it?

Thanks!

Bobby

I'm accustomed to driving in from the other direction--down the 110...but it's the same exit either direction--Exit 1C--HARBOR BLVD...if you're coming down the 710 through Long Beach, you'd cross Terminal Island, then the Vincent Thomas Bridge...it's the FIRST exit after crossing the bridge...At the end of the offramp, you will cross Harbor Blvd. and you will be facing the terminal...the loop road parallels Harbor Blvd...You can turn into the lot...or continue around and first drop off passengers and luggage if you like, then circle around again and enter the parking lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I'm accustomed to driving in from the other direction--down the 110...but it's the same exit either direction--Exit 1C--HARBOR BLVD...if you're coming down the 710 through Long Beach, you'd cross Terminal Island, then the Vincent Thomas Bridge...it's the FIRST exit after crossing the bridge...At the end of the offramp, you will cross Harbor Blvd. and you will be facing the terminal...the loop road parallels Harbor Blvd...You can turn into the lot...or continue around and first drop off passengers and luggage if you like, then circle around again and enter the parking lot.

That makes sense. I think we came on the 710 last time and our cab driver got confused by the signs for Long Beach.  So, if Waze takes me that way I will just expect to go through Long Beach first and over the Vincent Thomas bridge and off at 1C.  It will just be my wife and I and one or two rolling bags and a backpack each. Any reason why we can't just park and walk in over the crosswalk? Thanks for your help with this. Seems like if Waze takes us down the 110 it will be harder to get confused since we wont go through Long Beach first.

30 minutes ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

That makes sense. I think we came on the 710 last time and our cab driver got confused by the signs for Long Beach.  So, if Waze takes me that way I will just expect to go through Long Beach first and over the Vincent Thomas bridge and off at 1C.  It will just be my wife and I and one or two rolling bags and a backpack each. Any reason why we can't just park and walk in over the crosswalk? Thanks for your help with this. Seems like if Waze takes us down the 110 it will be harder to get confused since we wont go through Long Beach first.

Easy enough to park and walk...the lot is right in front of the terminal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

I actually think down the 710 to the Seaside Freeway (new bridge + Vincent Thomas) is easier. I've done it both ways coming from Orange County and I prefer the 710 route.

• Like 1