SoA Greek Island cruise April - May 2024

LondonLad60

My wife and I have just booked shore excursions for the above cruise. One we have booked for Malta is St Andrews Monastery & Wine Tasting. The description made mention of a dress code for the Monastery. Does anyone have any idea what this dress code would be? Would a short sleeved T-shirt and knee length shorts be acceptable for me? For my wife, would a knee length skirt, shorts or dress be acceptable provided her shoulders are covered? I ask, because having booked the excursion I can't go back into it to check.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Dress codes in religious building vary from country to country and even within them, and I have no personal experience of them in Malta. As a general rule however, I have found that in Roman Catholic or Greek Orthodox establishments the general rule for both sexes is that shoulders and knees must be covered. Which for you means a short sleeved tee shirt would be fine, but not a sleeveless one. And long trousers not shorts. As regards your wife, a knee length dress with sleeves would probably be fine as would be jeans or other long trousers with a sleeved top, but not shorts.

Perhaps someone has specific details of the establishment you are visiting.

I think you mean the Keffallonnia, not Malta and it just says "Conservative attire is required for the visit to the Monastery" and what that means in practice I have no idea but shorts may not be acceptable. I would suggest you ask at the shore excursion desk once you are on board.

Definitely no shorts for men if it's a Greek Orthodox monastery. We visited one in Cyprus and several men were turned away because they were wearing shorts.

Not sure if long shorts covering the knee would be accepted but maybe best not to risk it.

Having said that in some of the more popular tourist religious sites, I have seen shawls offered to cover shoulders and also fabric wraps to cover knees and legs where required

3 hours ago, david05 said:

I think you mean the Keffallonnia, not Malta and it just says "Conservative attire is required for the visit to the Monastery" and what that means in practice I have no idea but shorts may not be acceptable. I would suggest you ask at the shore excursion desk once you are on board.

23 hours ago, arlowood said:

Definitely no shorts for men if it's a Greek Orthodox monastery. We visited one in Cyprus and several men were turned away because they were wearing shorts.

Not sure if long shorts covering the knee would be accepted but maybe best not to risk it.

Having said that in some of the more popular tourist religious sites, I have seen shawls offered to cover shoulders and also fabric wraps to cover knees and legs where required

St Peters basilica in the Vatican has similar restiction, and I remember men wearing shorts which finished just below the knee being turned away. All was not lost however as local tradesmen were doing a roaring trade in long overtrousers which satisfied the dress code!

• Haha 2