Bali to Toronto

millybess

Not really that complicated.  You can easily fly a number of one-connection routings, depending on the carrier you prefer.  Here's some one-stops with the same carrier all the way:

Hong Kong on Cathay

Taipei on EVA

Seoul on Korean

Dubai on Emirates

Abu Dhabi on Etihad

Istanbul on Turkish

I've left off a few other carriers that have a lesser product, though their prices might be cheaper.  These include Philippine, China Eastern, and China Southern.

There is a nice two-stop routing on KLM - YYZ to Amsterdam to Singapore to Denpasar.  The good thing here is that it is merely a stop in SIN, with you continuing on the same flight and aircraft.

In addition to those above, there are other possible routings that have two stops or utilizing more than one airline.  But what you have above is a decent starting point for you to consider.

You don't mention your preferred class of service.  Lots of different cabin configurations out there, with some being much nicer than others.

You should probably look at ITA Matrix to get some idea of the various prices involved.  Use the "time bar" option to get a graphic view of the travel and connection times involved.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search

Finally, you might want to consider an airline with a free stopover program.  With this, you can break your trip at a mid-point, stay a day or more, then continue on at no increase in the air ticket pricing.  Some of the above airlines that have this perk are Emirates, Etihad, Turkish, and KLM.  Cathay, Korean and EVA are not, to my knowledge, currently running this promotion, but have in the past - so check on current or possible status.  A couple of websites on this kind of deal:

https://wheretheroadforks.com/17-free-airline-stopover-options/

https://www.businessclass.com/airlines/articles/airlines-with-free-stopovers

https://familyvacationist.com/airline-stopover-programs/

FWIW - on my last trip to DPS, I booked an award ticket on Turkish (TK) in business.  Excellent experience.  It didn't qualify for the stopover program, but I did have a 7 hour connect in IST which gave me time for a shower and change of clothes, some excellent lounge food and a nap in a private sleeping room.

Post if you have further questions or want some more details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so very much!

Class of service First or Business -- definitely lie-flat.  I will no doubt be back at you once we research all of the options you have given us.

Thanks again.  We really appreciate your input.

12 minutes ago, millybess said:

Thank you so very much!

Class of service First or Business -- definitely lie-flat.  I will no doubt be back at you once we research all of the options you have given us.

Thanks again.  We really appreciate your input.

Just look for business.  Fewer and fewer carriers are offering a distinct first class product on intercontinental runs, as business product keeps narrowing the differences.

A couple quick hits:  Beware Emirates on the 777, as the product is significantly worse than on the A380.  Look closely at configurations for all carriers.  Turkish configs are either OK (777) or excellent (350 and 787).  Eithad is underrated. 

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just look for business.  Fewer and fewer carriers are offering a distinct first class product on intercontinental runs, as business product keeps narrowing the differences.

A couple quick hits:  Beware Emirates on the 777, as the product is significantly worse than on the A380.  Look closely at configurations for all carriers.  Turkish configs are either OK (777) or excellent (350 and 787).  Eithad is underrated. 

Thanks.  It was the Emirates A380 we were considering.  The flight from Bali to Dubai is Business.  The flight from Dubai to Toronto is First Class.  The last leg is where we would be looking for sleep and privacy. Their First Class is about $2500pp more than Business.

FWIW, on the EK A380, you will get plenty of both sleep and privacy in both business and first.  Only you can determine if the differences are worth the price.  Here's some websites on the first class product on the 380.

https://onemileatatime.com/reviews/emirates-a380-first-class/

https://onemileatatime.com/guides/emirates-first-class-secrets/

@FlyerTalker  You've given us a lot of information which I have been researching.  We think we'll go with Emirates.  It seems like the best value and the shortest times to wait around.  Plus, I like that with Emirates we can book the flight almost 1 year in advance, which means we will be able to book the AC to Auckland and the Emirates to Toronto at the same time.  

Thanks again.  You've been a great help as usual.

53 minutes ago, millybess said:

@FlyerTalker  we will be able to book the AC to Auckland and the Emirates to Toronto at the same time. 

Are you sure on doing this?  Sounds like you are buying two one-ways.  You are leaving a LOT of money on the table.  Have you just considered an open-jaw of YYZ-AKL and DPS-YYZ?   That would be more economical than two one-ways.  Also, you might want a round-the-world fare taking you over both oceans.

If you are set on the one-ways, just looking at business class, the difference between Emirates and EVA is over CAD$3000pp for the one-way back from DPS.  You can buy a lot of great experiences on the ground for that.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money.  But leaving at least six to fifteen thousand on the table is something you probably should think over.

51 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Are you sure on doing this?  Sounds like you are buying two one-ways.  You are leaving a LOT of money on the table.  Have you just considered an open-jaw of YYZ-AKL and DPS-YYZ?   That would be more economical than two one-ways.  Also, you might want a round-the-world fare taking you over both oceans.

If you are set on the one-ways, just looking at business class, the difference between Emirates and EVA is over CAD$3000pp for the one-way back from DPS.  You can buy a lot of great experiences on the ground for that.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money.  But leaving at least six to fifteen thousand on the table is something you probably should think over.

We have tried to price out an open jaw ticket with Air Canada and,  although we've read that Air Canada is a partner with Emirates, we can't get the flight search to find anything that returns westward from Denpasar. The best we can do is an EVA flight that stops twice, once in Taiwan and once in Vancouver.  The total cost is more than buying a one way business with Air Canada to Auckland and another one way buiness via Dubai with Emirates.

The around the world ticket seems appealing.  We're crossing each ocean once.  However, assuming that we flew Turkish, we would have to stop in Instanbul for at least 24 hours and, if we understand the Star Alliance rules, we would then have to fly home from another city, e.g., Athens or Rome.  This adds about 2 days to the trip and is not a significant savings.

Thanks for the idea of flying through Istanbul because that would significantly reduce the costs vis a vis flying through Dubai.