Iconic Mediterranean Treasures - Dec 23, 2024 - Jan. 13, 2025 - weather?

netpj

We were wondering if anyone has sailed this particular itinerary, or similar, between late December and mid January?.  Any comments on what could be expected regarding weather?  We know it is not the ideal time of year but are intrigued by itinerary and the fact that it would be quieter than other times of the year.  Thanks in advance.

We sailed early Jan and had lovely weather. Pleasant temperatures and no rain. Fewer crowds .

You have to be prepared for all weather conditions though. We took rain gear, and thick winter coats just in case. I’ve frozen in Netherlands in April. It’s pot luck and hope for the best. Cruises are cheaper then too.

I was on the Iconic Western Med voyage in late December 2022, and weather was extremely pleasant.  No rain, daytime highs of 16-18 and nothing lower than 6 at night.  Albeit a friend from Rome said it was a warmer year than usual, but that anything near freezing would also be considered out of the ordinary.

I am booked on the Malta, Morocco and Med voyage for late Dec this year.  To me the winter low season is so much better than the hot, sticky, overtouristed summer season.

• Like 1

We did the Journey to Antiquities at the end of this past Dec.  Weather was great.  Generally 50's during the day.  Night were in the 40's.  Fortunately, did not have any rain.

T-shirt, long sleeve sport shirt and a windbreaker was sufficient for us.

Also my favorite time of the year to sail the Med.  I have been there when the weather was cold and miserable and I have been there when weather was in the 60s, sometimes even on the same trip. 

I need more than a windbreaker to be a happy camper.  If my feet are cold, forget it; my solution is Uggs-style boots  My go-to layer is a cashmere cardigan -- thin and packable but warm and breathable. Hat, scarf and gloves, too. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, netpj said:

We were wondering if anyone has sailed this particular itinerary, or similar, between late December and mid January?.  Any comments on what could be expected regarding weather?  We know it is not the ideal time of year but are intrigued by itinerary and the fact that it would be quieter than other times of the year.  Thanks in advance.

Do some research about historical and remember with climate changes we are seeing more and more extreme.

We are finishing up a two week on Viking that visited Greece, Turkey, Italy and Spain with additional land days.  We had clear and dry but cold days to whipping horizontal rains.   

We were lucky and and had 4 of 5 days dry in Paris and similar in London that were wonderful and perfect to be out and about.  Now hear  Eiffel Tower is closed due to strikes and nothing but rain for days.   

Hope for the best and plan for the worst.  There is a reason it is low season.   Pack planning for the worst!

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 2