Has anyone cruised Japan with Oceania?

MomC

52 minutes ago, avw said:

I just returned from 30 days on Azamara in Asia... 18 days in Japan and the rest going south to Singapore. It was absolutely fabulous! They took "Destination Immersion" to a whole new level. The shore excursions were excellent. Then, every day at 5pm, they brought a local group onto the ship to show some aspect of the Japanese culture... geishas, how to wear a kimono, Japanese music, taekwondo, tea ceremony, calligraphy, etc. Sometimes they were local school groups. It was wonderful! And every day when we left the port (often at night because Azamara stays in port late), there was a special send off performance on the dock ( baton twirlers, drummers, dancers, fireworks, etc), followed by many locals waving us off and wishing us a good journey and thanking us for coming to their town. It as just magical! Of course, there were also food specialties and drinks for each area we visited. I would gladly do it again and I highly recommend it to you. Can't imagine how this wonderful Azamara experience could be topped. P.S. I was traveling solo. 

Next week, I am leaving for 21 nights on Oceania, including the Norwegian Fjords. This will be my first time on Oceania's small ships. They have a hard act to follow. Hope they live up to the challenge!

We sailed with Azamara twice. First time for the “Amazing” event they brought the whole ship to the real theater in town where the big company produced the whole show on stage. And all passengers participated in the after show festivities in the foyer afterwards. It was top quality and just wonderful.

The second time, it was still COVID, for “Destination Immersion” they brought three singers and a small band on board and they performed on the pool deck. It wasn’t the same. 

I’m curious if with the “new” Azamara they are doing the “Amazing Evenings” again or they just permanently replaced them with the “Destination Immersion” on board.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, osandomir said:

We sailed with Azamara twice. First time for the “Amazing” event they brought the whole ship to the real theater in town where the big company produced the whole show on stage. And all passengers participated in the after show festivities in the foyer afterwards. It was top quality and just wonderful.

The second time, it was still COVID, for “Destination Immersion” they brought three singers and a small band on board and they performed on the pool deck. It wasn’t the same. 

I’m curious if with the “new” Azamara they are doing the “Amazing Evenings” again or they just permanently replaced them with the “Destination Immersion” on board.

In February, I attended the best" Azamazing Evening" that I have ever seen, in Rio de Janeiro. They they took all the passengers to a historic theater where a Carnival show was performed that was written just for Azamara about 10 years ago. It was incredible fun and top quality!

In response to repeated inquiries from their customers, who have made it clear that they want these special events to take place on shore, Azamara  has expressed a commitment to doing Azamazing Evenings on shore where possible. Their new CEO, who just started at the company, reaffirmed  this in a webinar to meet her just last week. However, they noted that sometimes, logistics just don't allow this, such as inadequate transportation resources  to transfer all passengers at once. 

Edited by avw

On 4/16/2024 at 5:07 PM, mamaclark said:

I am curious as to why the Oceania website itinerary for this tour lists Kyoto/Kobe port, but the accompanying map shows Osaka.

image.thumb.png.ccd77ba8a4476323526793933bef8d4f.png

The ship takes you to Kyoto but the port is near Osaka. The same way they say the ship goes to Rome but port is in Civitavecchia, Athens is at Port of Piraeus and so many others.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, avw said:

In February, I attended the best" Azamazing Evening" that I have ever seen, in Rio de Janeiro. They they took all the passengers to a historic theater where a Carnival show was performed that was written just for Azamara about 10 years ago. It was incredible fun and top quality!

In response to repeated inquiries from their customers, who have made it clear that they want these special events to take place on shore, Azamara  has expressed a commitment to doing Azamazing Evenings on shore where possible. Their new CEO, who just started at the company, reaffirmed  this in a webinar to meet her just last week. However, they noted that sometimes, logistics just don't allow this, such as inadequate transportation resources  to transfer all passengers at once. 

Why are you discussing AZ when I asked about passengers who cruised to Japan on Oceania?  We love Oceania and it's more upscale than AZ and the food is better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, avw said:

Would never work on an O ship unless a promise was made to have everyone back to their cabins before 9:00 pm.

Different lines have different programs. Though interesting this won’t work on many O ships. The 9:15/9:30 show is well past the bedtime of many O cruisers.

9 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Why are you discussing AZ when I asked about passengers who cruised to Japan on Oceania?  We love Oceania and it's more upscale than AZ and the food is better.

You didn't start this discussion. I responded to the person who started this discussion. Her question was:

"I am looking to book a cruise to Japan in 2025.  I have narrowed my search to Oceania and Azamara.  Any feedback would be helpful." 

My comment provided feedback she was looking for.

As for the difference between Oceania and Azamara, each person values different things more than the other. I don't value "upscale" as much as "friendly and happy". 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, avw said:

I just returned from 30 days on Azamara in Asia... 18 days in Japan and the rest going south to Singapore. It was absolutely fabulous! They took "Destination Immersion" to a whole new level. The shore excursions were excellent. Then, every day at 5pm, they brought a local group onto the ship to show some aspect of the Japanese culture... geishas, how to wear a kimono, Japanese music, taekwondo, tea ceremony, calligraphy, etc. Sometimes they were local school groups. It was wonderful! And every day when we left the port (often at night because Azamara stays in port late), there was a special send off performance on the dock ( baton twirlers, drummers, dancers, fireworks, etc), followed by many locals waving us off and wishing us a good journey and thanking us for coming to their town. It as just magical! Of course, there were also food specialties and drinks for each area we visited. I would gladly do it again and I highly recommend it to you. Can't imagine how this wonderful Azamara experience could be topped. P.S. I was traveling solo. 

Next week, I am leaving for 21 nights on Oceania, including the Norwegian Fjords. This will be my first time on Oceania's small ships. They have a hard act to follow. Hope they live up to the challenge!

This past March, we sailed onboard the Riviera for 12 days in Japan and South Korea. At each port of call, there were locals upon arrival drumming and waving flags, etc. and then when departing.  Hence, this is probably customary for ships arriving/departing Japan which is indeed very special and enjoyable. We've had lovely send-offs in other countries as well, bagpipers, marching bands, etc. There were themed Japan menus on our cruise at the Terrace and Oceania brought onboard Japanese drummers one evening. It was a wonderful itinerary, great service and food and we thoroughly enjoyed Japan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainbow3fe said:

The ship takes you to Kyoto but the port is near Osaka. The same way they say the ship goes to Rome but port is in Civitavecchia, Athens is at Port of Piraeus and so many others.

The post that you were replying to pointed that the port for Kyoto is Kobe on the itinerary and Osaka on the accompanying map. One off many omissions on Oceania website. Actual port is probably Kobe that to be accurate not anywhere near Osaka.

8 hours ago, osandomir said:

The post that you were replying to pointed that the port for Kyoto is Kobe on the itinerary and Osaka on the accompanying map. One off many omissions on Oceania website. Actual port is probably Kobe that to be accurate not anywhere near Osaka.

Thanks for clarifying that. Port is Kobe and it docks there for excursions to Osaka and Kyoto.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Would never work on an O ship unless a promise was made to have everyone back to their cabins before 9:00 pm.

Different lines have different programs. Though interesting this won’t work on many O ships. The 9:15/9:30 show is well past the bedtime of many O cruisers.

Huh?? Not true. You want people to believe Oceania is for people who go bed at 9.  We booked our 12th Oceania cruise . We usually have dinner at 8:30 and at about 10 PM we enjoy the Piano Bar at Martinis with around 20 other passengers.  

Edited by Rainbow3fe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Huh?? Not true. You want people to believe Oceania is for people who go bed at 9.  We booked our 12th Oceania cruise . We usually have dinner at 8:30 and at about 10 PM we enjoy the Piano Bar at Martinis with around 20 other passengers.  

20/??

Absolutely a few of us would go, but your example testifies how few. On Az it’s nearly the entire ship. I’m just saying different cruise lines have different vibes and different clientele. That clientele often segregates because of those differences into the various lines. Trying to superimpose one culture onto another is difficult at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

20/??

Absolutely a few of us would go, but your example testifies how few. On Az it’s nearly the entire ship. I’m just saying different cruise lines have different vibes and different clientele. That clientele often segregates because of those differences into the various lines. Trying to superimpose one culture onto another is difficult at best. 

I'm  sure it is different on each line. People gravitate to where they're comfortable. Since we dine later we rarely see a show. 

The Piano Bar is open after the show. Most people go to see the shows which run from 9:30-10:30. After a full day touring everyone must be tired. 

13 hours ago, avw said:

You didn't start this discussion. I responded to the person who started this discussion. Her question was:

"I am looking to book a cruise to Japan in 2025.  I have narrowed my search to Oceania and Azamara.  Any feedback would be helpful." 

As for the difference between Oceania and Azamara, each person values different things more than the other. I don't value "upscale" as much as "friendly and happy". 

I apologize.  I asked a sam

13 hours ago, avw said:

I apologize. I asked the same question somewhere in CC and incorrectly thought it was in response to my post.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2024 at 11:48 AM, pinotlover said:

We are doing an O cruise to Japan starting on 4/1. Doing private land tours on both sides of the cruise. Will report back experiences late April.

We are there as well.  Should be awesome 😎

Edited by Rainbow3fe