Has anyone cruised Japan with Oceania?

MomC

Post cruise, we are taking the train from Yokohama to Kyoto for three days and then to Kanazawa for another three. Then back to Tokyo and Haneda for the trip home.

A few things to add. The Hilton runs a regular shuttle to Shinjuku Station where there are lots of stores and restaurants. Those malls includes a very decent wine shop where I bought wine for the ship/cruise. The station also includes an office for the railway system where I received excellent help in booking our rail tickets on the various bullet trains.

The Hilton restaurants are fairly good, but very overpriced for the quality. Across the street, in the Sumitomo Building, is an incredible authentic Japanese restaurant called Minokichi. Highly recommended with fabulous food and services at a lower cost than the hotel restaurants.

On the fwiw section, we are indeed blessed. A horrible cold spell hit Japan in mid March. The effect of that bad weather is that the cherry blossoms have been delayed about two weeks. Our cruise, along with our post cruise excursions will put us in the heart and peak of the cherry blossom bloom.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Things in Japan are still chaotic and in flux. They are having severe labor shortages. Many hotels are only at 50-60% capacity because that’s all the staff they have to manage the hotels. He commented on the number of ship tours on waitlist or recently cancelled ( I have one of each). Reason: they don’t have the staff to run them all. He said some of the tour excursions staff we’ll see multiple times because they’re transporting them from one port to another to have the help. This situation will not resolve itself anytime soon.

Indeed, it was very similar last year. I'd hoped that 2023 was an anomaly due to Japan having opened for tourism only a few months before I was there. 

Sounds like it's a longer-term issue though. Thanks for your update.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:55 PM, cruiseaholic78 said:

After seeing the shrines/Pagodas extensively in Tokyo here is something completely different but definitely worth a visit. If it is fully booked keep checking as tickets can become available.

https://www.teamlab.art/e/planets/

happy planning

Wow, thank you for this! Will definitely try to book for pre-cruise April 2025. Looks fascinating!

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Did you purchase your transfer to the ship from O? I see you said you did your own air. 

No. We flew in on our own air a day early before the pre cruise tour with Oceania began.Therefore, Oceania wouldn’t provide the airport to hotel transportation. I booked with Blacklane which did an excellent job. Oceania is providing the hotel to ship transfer today as part of the pre cruise tour package. 

We will take private transportation from the ship to the Yokohama train station at cruise end.

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

No. We flew in on our own air a day early before the pre cruise tour with Oceania began.Therefore, Oceania wouldn’t provide the airport to hotel transportation. I booked with Blacklane which did an excellent job. Oceania is providing the hotel to ship transfer today as part of the pre cruise tour package. 

We will take private transportation from the ship to the Yokohama train station at cruise end.

I see, I didn't see the part where you were on an O precruise tour. Since you are on their transfer I guess you'll have to deal with boardomania. 

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

I see, I didn't see the part where you were on an O precruise tour. Since you are on their transfer I guess you'll have to deal with boardomania. 

Unfortunately true! First time in a long time! 🥹

7 hours ago, ORV said:

Boardamania SUCKS! People that enjoy Boardamania must likewise enjoy root canals without drugs.

If I ever sign up for Boardamania again, I’m obviously too senile to cruise. Lines for everything. Cabins not ready for occupancy until after 1:00. Luggage? at 3:00 pm.  The perfect picture of Oceania Boardamania is the foursome that took the 8 top in the Terrace and placed their bags in four of the chairs so no one else can sit down. People wandering looking for seats among the jerks. Staff finally opened up La Reserve for lunch seating.

Boardamania is not the way to start a cruise!! People have been standing in the Dining Reservation line for over an hour and the DS line for much longer. Nothing I need to do warrant any such line. I’m having an old fashion and chilling. 

The ship looks fine and elegant. First time I’ve seen her since her redo. The bathroom change in our PH is nice.

Future cruises, back to our routine of leisurely shore lunch and late ship arrivals. Nothing in the buffet line warrants Boardamania. The bus from the hotel left at 11:00 and we arrived at port shortly after 12. Already a significant check in line that got worse. A fellow cruiser on our bus said they were in the checkin line for over an hour. This is the third of three repetitive cruises around Japan, so guessing few passengers from earlier cruises aboard. Will learn occupancy at Repeater Party.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just an update to explain some past comments.

Received our luggage a bit after 4:00 yesterday. Seems the issue was the forward service elevators are out of service and have been for a bit. This means everything has to be loaded aft, meaning luggage was competing with loading food, hard and soft supplies, etc. Additionally, everything was behind schedule because getting the luggage off the ship of those disembarking was a priority .

As I stated in my first post, this year has been abnormally cool and it remains so. Yesterday was cloudy, misty rain, and very cool. In the Terrace, people were certainly not sitting out on the outside deck. Nor were people eating outside in Waves . Everyone wanted to eat indoors. This created issues that some of the unpleasant passengers taking larger tables and refusing to share made extremely worse. Current forecast is things aren’t going to change much. For those dreaming of eating under the stars, it would require a winter coat.

We have found the Riveria to be very nice after her redo. Still not fond of the chairs built for Hobbits and Halflings, but that has been discussed before. Biggest change we’ve seen so far has been in the Red Ginger. They completely changed the layout, even different from Vista. It is now a big open hall with tables aligned in straight lines. Very commercial feel and not comforting or welcoming. A completely different feel.

Off for our first port. Everything still on schedule with Day 2 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Trying to continue this thread and keep it distinct from the other Japanese cruise thread.

Since the start of our cruise, we had a day of 58 degrees F and rain, 60 F and cloudy, and 61F and cloudy. Today is similar. Although slightly cooler than normal, it’s Spring time in Japan and this weather should be expected. Pack accordingly. As far as the ship goes, no one is eating outside on the Terrace, and rarely more than 4-6 outside at Waves, with those eating coats. Those temperatures are daytime highs, not breakfast or dinner temperatures. One might guess the impact this has on seating in the Terrace.

Ninety percent of Japan’s population lives along the coast. This is because the interior of the country is very mountainous and those are abnormally steep mountains. What this means for tourists is there are lots of stairs . Those steps can be very steep with inclines of 60-80 percent! Additionally, at the numerous world or national heritage sites, those steep stairs can be knee high making them more difficult to climb. Many don’t have hand rails. If you read your tour descriptions saying there are 150 stairs to negotiate, don’t assume it’s like going up the stairs on the ship. Also reframe from stupid comments about the ADA, you’re not in America! Choose your tours carefully. Some of our mobility limited fellow passengers have been quite agitated paying money to go to sites they can’t navigate. Those three walker destinations on tours have a meaning here.

Speaking of not being in America. The Japanese are extremely polite people. If they want to do a selfie with you, they’ll always ask your permission first. Remember to return the politeness, especially if you want that selfie with a geisha! They may not want to be in your picture! Also the country is extremely clean. Not only do the Japanese not litter, but many will stop and pick up a piece of litter they find while walking. Americans shouldn’t believe it’s OK to leave empty cups, bottles, etc, sitting on walls or beside benches because that’s what they do at home. I have witnessed death stares, while a local will come in and pick the left trash up and cart it away.

Politeness can also be a sharp weapon. At the hotel, pre cruise, one of the ( fortunately) Regents cruisers always talked extremely loudly which they also consider rude. It was his first time in Japan and the group was eating in the hotel Japanese restaurant, assuring everyone it would be just like Benihana at home. It wasn’t. In his loud voice he ordered fried rice with dinner. When it came, he started again proclaiming loudly he had never seen fried rice that looked like that and was showing it to all at his table. I’m not sure he ever tasted it. So finally the very attractive young waitress comes over and asks if everything is OK. The tourist goes loudly into his routine of how he’s never seen fried rice look like that. Then the exchange:

Waitress-  Ohh! Very sorry ( and a bow) Where are you from?

Guest- Atlanta, GA, USA.

Waitress - OH. This is Japan. Chef doesn’t know how to make Atlanta, GA. USA fried rice, only know how to make Japanese fried rice. So very sorry. ( another bow) Maybe someday I will go to Atlanta, GA and eat Atlanta, GA fried rice. I bet it’s very good! Can I get you anything else?

All of us sitting in tables all around were snickering and laughing at the jerk. With extreme politeness she had thrust the dagger into his throat. His voice dropped several levels the rest of the meal!😂 He could speak in a normal voice when he wished! 😂

Differently from other countries, we have been required to take our passport and clear immigrations at every port, even when we haven’t left Japan. The Agents will often ask “ where are you going?” Oceania bus #2 isn’t an answer. Know where your tour is going! Some of the oblivious nont knowing have been pulled out and frisked to ensure they aren’t carrying a weapon or carrying large sums of cash. Don’t know how typical this is, just beware.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Further discussion on the tours. We were advised of this by the Asian Adventurer (AA) rep in Tokyo. The Japanese are extremely safety conscious. With the large crowds visiting many of the popular sites, this means that the buses are most often parked a good distance from the sites. Yesterday at Osaka Castle, for example we had already walked 300 meters or so when we reached the sign that said the castle was 1 km (0.62 miles) away. That was to be done before reaching the stairs at or near the castle. Then to be duplicated on the return. We have had significant walking every day. Yesterday, my wife’s iPhone said 5.8 miles and 13 floors. This was a ship tour.

Today on our sole sea day, it’s upper 50s and rain. Not a single lounger hog to be found 😂😂🥲! I feel quite certain some of the cheerleaders would gladly tell you loungers hogs wasn’t a problem on the cruise. That’s without giving you the rest of the story.

Lunch today in the Terrace. People must have sunburn fears! Lots of baseball hats being worn in the restaurant with some on backwards! 🙄. Many of them aren’t the 30 year olds either!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Since the start of our cruise, we had a day of 58 degrees F and rain, 60 F and cloudy, and 61F and cloudy. Today is similar. Although slightly cooler than normal, it’s Spring time in Japan and this weather should be expected. Pack accordingly. As far as the ship goes, no one is eating outside on the Terrace, and rarely more than 4-6 outside at Waves, with those eating coats. Those temperatures are daytime highs, not breakfast or dinner temperatures. One might guess the impact this has on seating in the Terrace.

This is why when I looked at the 2025 Riviera cruises I just said....nope not for me.

China, Japan and South Korea in the first week of February....brrr.

I believe Riviera has several itins in April that include Japan. I’m on Riviera as it departs Asia (Tokyo embarkation) on 25 April and travels to Vancouver.

On 4/1/2024 at 12:10 AM, pinotlover said:

Unfortunately true! First time in a long time! 🥹

Sorry - we are new to cruising and are booked on the Riviera tour Tokyo to Vancouver April 2025. We are considering arranging our own flights from Germany  to Haneda airport and a pre-cruise hotel stay in Tokyo as well. Planned to do the same for transfers. Now we are a bit concerned to learn about "boardomania". What exactly is boardomania? It sounds a bit scary ... 

31 minutes ago, MonikaV said:

Sorry - we are new to cruising and are booked on the Riviera tour Tokyo to Vancouver April 2025. We are considering arranging our own flights from Germany  to Haneda airport and a pre-cruise hotel stay in Tokyo as well. Planned to do the same for transfers. Now we are a bit concerned to learn about "boardomania". What exactly is boardomania? It sounds a bit scary ... 

“Boardomania” is when everybody turns up at the earliest time that boarding starts. Boarding in different grade suites happens at different times …. upper suites first followed by PH, followed by Concierge, followed by the rest.

So, if you have a lower suite have a ‘local lunch’ and board leisurely  later in the afternoon. Most people board early, have lunch onboard, wait for their suites to be called. PH are usually 1pm,  Concierge 2pm, Others 3pm. (Not sailed Oceania for 14 months so please correct me if I’m wrong).

At the end of the day you are only talking about a maximum of 680 or 1200/1250 so no huge great ‘rugby scrum’!

Thank you - that is really helpful. We are in a Concierge, therefore we will enjoy Tokyo and if we show up between 14:00h and 15:00h we should be fine. Thanks again !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Boarding in different grade suites happens at different times …. upper suites first followed by PH, followed by Concierge, followed by the rest.

So, if you have a lower suite have a ‘local lunch’ and board leisurely  later in the afternoon. Most people board early, have lunch onboard, wait for their suites to be called. PH are usually 1pm,  Concierge 2pm, Others 3pm. (Not sailed Oceania for 14 months so please correct me if I’m wrong).

Well, not quite that simple. Actually the time your room is READY is determined by your suite grade. Your time to board is determined by what you select when you do the online check in. For my upcoming cruise I'm in an Oceanview room, yet my boarding time is 11 am. To further complicate the issue those that are Platinum or higher have Priority Terminal Check in, whatever that means. Since I have it I just get in the shortest line and if anyone questions me(which has only happened once) I just tell them I have Priority Check in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ORV said:

Well, not quite that simple. Actually the time your room is READY is determined by your suite grade. Your time to board is determined by what you select when you do the online check in. For my upcoming cruise I'm in an Oceanview room, yet my boarding time is 11 am. To further complicate the issue those that are Platinum or higher have Priority Terminal Check in, whatever that means. Since I have it I just get in the shortest line and if anyone questions me(which has only happened once) I just tell them I have Priority Check in. 

Well, not always. Yes, the time your stateroom is ready is based upon your stateroom category.  That said, time to embark does not always follow the Priority Check in. We just returned from the Japan cruise onboard Riviera and many were on the 3 day land tour.  We have 'priority' boarding however, the provided transfer by buses from Tokyo to Yokohama all left within minutes of one another and no advantage to any 'priority' boarding passengers (regardless of what your online check-in stated).  We were directed to sit in an outdoor kiosk (in the cold) in rows and were only permitted to pass through customs/immigration based upon the first row seated - a mess! There was only standing room remaining in the kiosk. The Port Authority has the authority for embarkation and we have experienced many times no identified lines e.g. PH and above, Concierge, etc. to respect the 'priority' boarding. Furthermore, no Oceania rep was present to even ask a question.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ORV said:

Sorry! You are absolutely right. 
My mistake, slip of the tongue! 
As you say, ‘Boarding time’ is chosen by yourself whereas your  ‘Suite’ is ‘Ready’ for occupation by ‘grade’.

Continuing on. We headed too Pusan, SK today. South Korea blocked all our ship board wifi while in their waters. Being without internet for nearly twenty four (24) hours for us isn’t a bid deal. However, for those of you that it is, you need to plan accordingly. According to our butler, this happens most every cruise into their waters. Just plan for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Continuing on. We headed too Pusan, SK today. South Korea blocked all our ship board wifi while in their waters. Being without internet for nearly twenty four (24) hours for us isn’t a bid deal. However, for those of you that it is, you need to plan accordingly. According to our butler, this happens most every cruise into their waters. Just plan for it.

That is so interesting.  We were on the same cruise but the March 20 sailing.  We had one day with terrible wifi.  Now that I look back, it was the Busan day!  Now I know why.  Thanks for sharing.

Hope you are enjoying your voyage as much as we did!  Japan is a remarkable country.

I’ll conclude this thread with a couple of points:

1. Passports were required in every port. You have to keep them with you at all times. Very different from Europe and other destinations.

2. Lots of walking, lots of steep stairs. Be prepared. 13,000 steps per day is fairly average.

3. Absolutely fantastic food along the way in the various ports, with most showcasing their regional flairs. The best meals on this cruise was definitely in several of the ports.

4. Good cruise overall providing a good glimpse of where one needs to return to when not stymied by a cruise ship schedule. We’re off to Kyoto after disembarking.

5. Lastly when possible, fly into Haneda not Narita airport.

Enjoy your travels. Wonderful people and beautiful country. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, pinotlover said:

1. Passports were required in every port. You have to keep them with you at all times. Very different from Europe and other destinations.

2. Lots of walking, lots of steep stairs. Be prepared. 13,000 steps per day is fairly average.

3. Absolutely fantastic food along the way in the various ports, with most showcasing their regional flairs. The best meals on this cruise was definitely in several of the ports.

4. Good cruise overall providing a good glimpse of where one needs to return to when not stymied by a cruise ship schedule. We’re off to Kyoto after disembarking.

Agree with so may of your points @pinotlover  Your experience is quite similar to ours.  We are already talking about visiting Japan again, but as independent travelers.  The cruise on Riveria was the perfect introduction. 

Our favorite meal was the local udon with red miso in Nagoya.  Would have never had it were it not for a fantastic private guide through Tours by Locals.  She took us there, ordered for us and so much more. 

While Narita was quite a trek, we had no problems with the airport or customs, while our friends that flew into Haneda spent two hours clearing customs.  I guess you never know! 

Enjoy Kyoto! Wish we had more time there.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:40 AM, pinotlover said:

Your trip report was helpful, thank you! Was Kobe/Kyoto on your itinerary? We are in port from 11am one day until 7pm the next, 10/31-11/1. I am trying to figure out how to arrange our tours since the port is a distance away from Kyoto. 

3 minutes ago, mamaclark said:

Your trip report was helpful, thank you! Was Kobe/Kyoto on your itinerary? We are in port from 11am one day until 7pm the next, 10/31-11/1. I am trying to figure out how to arrange our tours since the port is a distance away from Kyoto. 

We had the same schedule as you. Kyoto was a two hour, one way, bus or train ride from the port. That significantly cut into any sight seeing in Kyoto. So we decided to go back to Kyoto post cruise. We spent our time in port, during the cruise, seeing Osaka and Nara both of which were excellent.

the bullet train from Yokohama to Kyoto was excellent and easy.