Celebrity Passengers Killed in S. America on Excursion

TorontoTL

My heartfelt sympathy to those who passed away and their family and friends. This is such a tragedy. I believe 12 passengers on a non-Celebrity excursion died when the mini bus they were on swerved to avoid an on coming vehicle and plummeted 300 ft down a gourge. The driver and guide also perished.

I'm not sure the like posted by custompcsys has correct information. The ship was the Millennium. The information posted by Cruise Critic seems to have the most accurate information and it states it was an independent tour not one booked through Celebrity Cruises.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1571

I'm sure all of us here on CC have all the parties involved in our thoughts and prayers.

I also want to extend my sympathies to the families of their loss. One of the passengers on that ship is on my roll call in Oct. for a cruise, but I just found out on the Celebrity board that he and his wife were not on that excursion. The group was on a private indepentant tour. The whole group was from a retirement village in N.J. and their daughter-in-law is a Celebrity poster. All the info is on a "Sticky" on the Celebrity board.

Marilyn

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1571

I'm sure all of us here on CC have all the parties involved in our thoughts and prayers.

Larsen,

Thank you for posting this link.

Sadly, the in-laws of someone who sailed with us on the CB in January were among the bus passengers killed. Leenie29, her husband, and their two young sons participated in our CC roll call. We met them onboard and were often seated near them at dinner in the Palm.

Upon returning from our 1/28/06 voyage, Eileen wrote a two-part review of the CB and has contributed significantly to discussions regarding children's programming and other kid-related topics.

Eileen and family,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Chris & Mike

Twelve people died and two were injured in a tour bus accident in Arica, Chile. According to local news reports, the bus went off a steep cliff at approximately 4:30 p.m. The injured were taken to a local hospital, and a doctor and nurse from Millennium were sent to assist the injured and notify the families of the deceased. Celebrity is flying family members of those killed and injured to Chile on Thursday. Millennium will remain in Arica until further notice. The ship was in the fourth day of a 14-night South America cruise that departed Valparaiso, Chile, on March 19 and is scheduled to conclude in Fort Lauderdale on April 2.

from

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Found this on the Celebrity board. Eileen's in-laws are Arthur and Frieda Kovar.

This is a list from the local Arica newspaper of the names of those lives lost.

La dirección del Hospital Doctor Juan Noé entregó la nómina de muertos y heridos en el accidente de esta tarde. Personas heridas: los estadounidenses Harold Ruchelman (67)y Bernard Diamond (66); y los chilenos Cristián Contreras Guzmán (31) e Iván Guerra Morales (40). Personas fallecidas: Miriam Diamond (76), Linda Gail Greenfield (63), Hans Wilhelm Otto Eggers (72), Barbara Rubin (69), Arthur Joseph Kovar (67), Frieda Kovar (74), Robert Rubin (72), Maria Egger (71), Carole Ellen Rochelman (63), Shirley Bier (76), Marvin Bier (79) e, Ira Arvey Greenfield (68), todos estadounidenses.

Chris

Archived