HAL Oceanview (OV) Single-Occupancy Cabins

jimdee3636

They haven't gotten a lot of publicity, but Holland America's three newest and largest ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam) each have twelve single occupancy OV cabins at the very front of Deck One, six on each side. They range from about 127 sq. ft to 170 sq. ft. They're located under the theater, but on HAL most stage performances are over by 10:00PM or so. They seem to be popular. A few weeks back I booked one for a four-night repositioning cruise (Vancouver to San Diego) in October of this year. When I booked, 11 of the 12 cabins were available. As of yesterday they were all sold out. I can't say that the pricing is always good, but I paid $394.00, plus port charges, for my four-night cruise---considerably less than if I had booked an inside cabin for one person. 

I'm four-star with HAL so I've sailed with them numerous times. They're not necessarily the right line for everyone, but for those who like a (usually) quieter cruise experience, with good food, excellent service, and modern ships, these OV cabins might be worth a look.

Jim

I've booked one of these cabins for a 14-day 2025 cruise. As pricing stands now, I'm definitely paying for the upgrade over an inside cabin. Which I'm willing to pay for a window over two weeks. But it's a long ways out and who knows what supply and demand will do as the date draws nearer. 

I had one on Rotterdam (it was assigned) and there were no issues with the stage show but docking was a nightmare. Also heard every slap of the waves. Fully forward and I heard every sound. Would not choose this cabin again though I have no issues being forward or with movement. The cabin itself was lovely. 

Love HAL. Food is consistently good, live shows are amazing and crew staff are excellent, but I would need to be higher up on deck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akeka said:

How do you search for these on their site?  I haven't been able to figure out how to change the occupancy before selecting the cabin type.

Start by selecting "Oceanview" and then change your occupancy. It'll be there. 

Remember that Inside cabins will often still be cheaper despite the singles supplement, so check on that and ask yourself if a window is worth it for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are generally priced at more than a 50% supplement. IMHO, absolutely not worth it. 127 square feet is tiny. You are way up at the front of the ship. HAL used to sell cabins for solos at a 50% supplement or less. Now regular cabins are always 200%. And on my last cruise, a 2 week Asian cruise, they had exactly one solo meet up and no classical music at all. I am a 4 star and have been sailing on HAL since 1983. But with all the cut backs in food in entertainment, and the 200% supplement, I am better off with land travel or another line. 

HAL oceanview staterooms are usually 175% - not 200%. The solo ocean view vary in size from a few sq feet smaller than a regular (non solo) all the way down to 127.  Booking in advance, it's easy to get the largest ones - that's what I do. In fact, I'll be in one in a few days - along with a couple friends who also booked the solo oceanviews (on Rotterdam). Being forward doesn't bother us - it's our preferred location because we don't bother with the Main Dining Room (aft) but spend days in the Retreat (forward) and evenings between midship and forward at the music venues and World Stage.

Sue/WDW1972

I don't know where you are looking. Every time I search, every cruise I look, cabins are 200%. And even if they are 175% for an ocean view, cabins used to be 150% or less, especially for a TA. HAL has priced themselves right out of the solo market when other lines are offering way lower supplements, and HAL's entertainment is so bad, and the food cut backs are notable. The MDR is closed every port day now.