Back to back cruises

My husband and I will be on the Balmoral for the Baltic cruise this July, sailing from Rosyth, and are staying on board for the next cruise to Iceland. Does anyone know what facilities will be available to us on this turnaround day, eg for dining, relaxing etc? Also, I'm thinking we'll have access to our cabin, is that right? 

50 minutes ago, Martini&Fizz said:

My husband and I will be on the Balmoral for the Baltic cruise this July, sailing from Rosyth, and are staying on board for the next cruise to Iceland. Does anyone know what facilities will be available to us on this turnaround day, eg for dining, relaxing etc? Also, I'm thinking we'll have access to our cabin, is that right? 

When we did something very similar we were well looked after... especially as we had to change cabins as well.

All of the lounges were available and the tea/coffee stations were fully operational.

Lunch was provided in the dining room... it was the full works... and there was wine and beer on request if we wanted it. It was obvious that there were contractors, port officials and other visitors on board and they were also fed very well.

Afternoon tea was served just as the first new passengers began to arrive. Our new cabin was available early afternoon. We were free to come and go from the ship as we pleased.

Our post from home was delivered to the ship's reception (by arrangement) for us to collect.

Our new cabin was available from about 10.30 am and our cases were in there when we arrived.

The only downside... the ship did feel a bit lonely and the corridors were full of linen.

However that was pre-covid... times may well have changed.

1 hour ago, Martini&Fizz said:

Thank you for your response, twotravellerslondon, it's much appreciated. That all sounds great. Luckily, we are in the same cabin for both cruises. Did you have to go to both safety drills? 

We did. It was the "Crocodile Walk" in those days holding on to the shoulder of the person in front and shuffling to the lifeboat. We did suggest to one Cruise Director that we should make it into the a "Caribbean Conga"... but our suggestion was never taken up!

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Martini&Fizz said:

You have been given generally good advice, you will be looked after.  However, whilst Fred used to not start embarkation until about 2pm a few years ago, he now starts embarkation about midday for the higher decks, often a tad earlier than that for suite passengers.  Hence lunch on embarkation day is served in the buffet restaurants (Palms on Balmoral), which will be available for you.  The buffet remains open during embarkation, but does change to afternoon tea type food later in the afternoon. 

The one problem we have found for B2B's is that breakfast tends to finish earlier, room service will not be available and you will likely be woken up by announcements from 8am, so do not expect a lie in that day.  Must admit we often take a snack back to the cabin from the buffet the previous night.  All bars will likely be closed during the morning but will open during the afternoon.  The bar which services the buffet will be open at the start of lunch service, from midday of soon after.

Also drills are often now just a case of reporting to your muster station and giving your cabin number, but sometimes they hold a full drill, when you have to stay in your muster station for a while and listen to instructions and of course that could always change.  Our last Fred cruise was just before Christmas.

You will get a letter towards the end of your cruise with details for your change over day and will have a full daily sheet as well, possibly not delivered until the next morning. 

This is the link Fred gives on his tickets now, so you can use it to get an idea of your embarkation time for your first cruise and disembarkation time of your second cruise, which usually remains the same, but best to check at a later date as well:-

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/check-in

Enjoy the cruises.

Edited by tring

Thank you, Tring. We've done back to back cruises on P&O but, although we've sailed with Fred before, this will be our first B2B with them so all advice is more than welcome. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Martini&Fizz said:

Thank you, Tring. We've done back to back cruises on P&O but, although we've sailed with Fred before, this will be our first B2B with them so all advice is more than welcome. 

Much the same on both lines.  Disembarkation ends a bit later on P&O and they keep the buffet breakfast open later, which is the only difference I can think of.  Can always be minor changes obviously. 

TBH we have always gone ashore on change over days, if only to do a bit of shopping for water and soft drinks, or just a stroll,  but we do not rush off the ship.  If we have needed to change cabin, we have usually been moved before 10am or earlier, so no delays there.

Edited by tring

Ah yes, we have always gone ashore on turnaround days. However, since we live in Fife and have no desire to go home for the day we'll stay on the ship this time. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1