Silver Moon, May 5-23 and May 23 - June 9, 2024

FLRI

Posted (edited)

I'm really concerned after reading the 1st and second post on this thread.  Looks like SS could wait until the very last minute for cancellations.  Not good for someone like me who comes in days early to enjoy the embarkation port.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2995783-total-nonsense-on-the-nova-what-are-they-thinking/?do=findComment&comment=67036767

Edited by babydrum

16 hours ago, drron29 said:

I have heard the decision has been made. But how long will it take the passengers to be told.

Is your source reliable?  My TA called SS and of course they told her there is no chance my cruise Singapore to Mumbai would be cancelled.  The person suggested the one after mine could be cancelled because it goes through the Red Sea but we already know that.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, babydrum said:

Is your source reliable?  My TA called SS and of course they told her there is no chance my cruise Singapore to Mumbai would be cancelled.  The person suggested the one after mine could be cancelled because it goes through the Red Sea but we already know that.

Well, is your TA a Silversea expert or has he/she cruised with them? Usually if they are going to make an itinerary change they go to “waitlist” for all the cabins (assuming the cruise is not sold out). This cruise went all waitlist at 60 days prior to departure. If she is just talking to a phone rep they basically don’t have any info.

It may not be cancelled but there could be a major itinerary change. And of course the one after will be cancelled because it is supposed to sail thru the Red Sea.

My TA spoke to someone today who said it went waitlist because there will probably be an itinerary change but they couldn’t say when. I suspect if the cruise sails it will eliminate a bunch of ports and make its way from Sri Lanka to maybe the Seychelles, Madagascar and then Cape Town before heading up the coast of West Africa. At least they could keep some passengers onboard for some of the cruise and get some revenue. It wouldn’t be a bad change. Just a hassle. It doesn’t make sense to sail empty but they need to get to Athens.

Edited by Herman The Cat

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Herman The Cat said:

Well, is your TA a Silversea expert or has he/she cruised with them? Usually if they are going to make an itinerary change they go to “waitlist” for all the cabins (assuming the cruise is not sold out). This cruise went all waitlist at 60 days prior to departure. If she is just talking to a phone rep they basically don’t have any info.

It may not be cancelled but there could be a major itinerary change. And of course the one after will be cancelled because it is supposed to sail thru the Red Sea.

My TA spoke to someone today who said it went waitlist because there will probably be an itinerary change but they couldn’t say when. I suspect if the cruise sails it will eliminate a bunch of ports and make its way from Sri Lanka to maybe the Seychelles, Madagascar and then Cape Town before heading up the coast of West Africa. At least they could keep some passengers onboard for some of the cruise and get some revenue. It wouldn’t be a bad change. Just a hassle. It doesn’t make sense to sail empty but they need to get to Athens.

I'm sure she is not an SS expert and that she was just talking to a phone rep.  That is why I was asking if the source was reliable because I don't think my TA has any inside info.  I'm planning an alternate land vacation if this is cancelled.  

Edited by babydrum

41 minutes ago, babydrum said:

Yes she is.

1 hour ago, Herman The Cat said:

I suspect if the cruise sails it will eliminate a bunch of ports and make its way from Sri Lanka to maybe the Seychelles, Madagascar and then Cape Town before heading up the coast of West Africa.

It would be nice to think that Silversea (like Cunard's QM2) is capable of adjusting their itinerary to go around Africa.  However I think this proposition is just a bridge too far for their logistics team.  It is much simpler to just cancel and sail empty which is what I expect them to do.

They certainly should be planning for the transits towards the end of this year as other cruise lines such as Virgin has done. They could then sell the west African cruises and have definite plans for the Indian Ocean,ME, Asia and Oceania.

And another week passes and still no news on these sailings.

Crystal cancelled their May Med voyages a month ago.

It is absolutely egregious that Silversea is sitting on this and doing nothing. 

I had suspected at the 60 day mark something might happen and all we got are the voyages listed as “waitlist.” What’s the next milestone, 45 days or 30 days prior? It’s ridiculous to ask passengers to amend plans at that late date.

Why are they dragging this out? Where’s the leadership??? 

36 minutes ago, Herman The Cat said:

It is absolutely egregious that Silversea is sitting on this and doing nothing. 

It is disgraceful.  All the other cruise lines have notified including Azamara and still nothing from Silversea.  And when they do notify, it will be a delayed refund or 20% off a cruise this year that has probably doubled in price since it was released.  

Maybe we should all start emailing Barbara Muckerman.

It’s disgraceful. Reminds me of when they notified us that they were removing a port we really want to go to one day after cancellation penalties started. 

51 minutes ago, Herman The Cat said:

Maybe we should all start emailing Barbara Muckerman.

It’s disgraceful. Reminds me of when they notified us that they were removing a port we really want to go to one day after cancellation penalties started. 

Is her email bmuckerman@silversea.com or barbaram@silversea.com?

I Think we all know by now now that Silversea corporate are an absolute embarrassment to the magnificent crew onboard that go above and beyond any expectations. I Would hope that they hold their heads in shame but I can say with some personal experience that they wont. They think that their “esteemed guests” are too stupid to see beyond the contempt with which they are held. After my own personal battle with SS after spending a week in a suite with no lights, tv or telephone on a ship that should never have sailed (Spirit post stretch) and a long fought battle for even an apology. In fact I was made to wait in the in searing heat on the dockside without any shelter for over an hour for no reason other than to facilitate the private tender that whisked Roberto and Barbara to their new triumph. I For one am under no illusion of my worth to them. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Think we all know by now now that Silversea corporate are an absolute embarrassment to the magnificent crew onboard that go above and beyond any expectations. I Would hope that they hold their heads in shame but I can say with some personal experience that they wont. They think that their “esteemed guests” are too stupid to see beyond the contempt with which they are held. After my own personal battle with SS after spending a week in a suite with no lights, tv or telephone on a ship that should never have sailed (Spirit post stretch) and a long fought battle for even an apology. In fact I was made to wait in the in searing heat on the dockside without any shelter for over an hour for no reason other than to facilitate the private tender that whisked Roberto and Barbara to their new triumph. I For one am under no illusion of my worth to them. 

Oh my — you were in one of those cabins in the stretched area! I remember hearing about that and the fact that there was a wiring issue behind the headboards that took awhile to discover. You certainly have had your share of unexpected circumstances! Weren’t you also on the last sailing of Crystal and dropped off in Freeport, Bahamas?

Unfortunately your description of contempt may be true. Definitely passive-aggressive. And they do assume the guests do not see their maneuvering. I think we all recognize how challenging it is to change itineraries but can they really not make a decision??? OR they want guests to be in the 100% penalty phase before they announce it?

37 minutes ago, Herman The Cat said:

Oh my — you were in one of those cabins in the stretched area! I remember hearing about that and the fact that there was a wiring issue behind the headboards that took awhile to discover. You certainly have had your share of unexpected circumstances! Weren’t you also on the last sailing of Crystal and dropped off in Freeport, Bahamas?

Unfortunately your description of contempt may be true. Definitely passive-aggressive. And they do assume the guests do not see their maneuvering. I think we all recognize how challenging it is to change itineraries but can they really not make a decision??? OR they want guests to be in the 100% penalty phase before they announce it?

Yes I was on the Pirates of the Caribbean cruise too fleeing from an arrest warrant (the ship not me). 

It wasn't the fact that all those problems happened on the Spirit that was so upsetting, it was the utter indifference, arrogance, incompetence and total lack of any resolution that still angers me to this day when I see it being repeated.I Pity the passengers onboard as I know what they'll be up against. Silversea really haven't learnt.

22 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Pity the passengers onboard as I know what they'll be up against. Silversea really haven't learnt.

Appreciate these updates and various follow-ups as to what happens, or not??, as to how the Silver Moon gets back from Asia to its key bookings in the Med for later this Spring and during the summer period.   Those Med bookings for the Silver Moon are big, BIG money.  Those schedules must be completed.  Getting Singapore to Mumbai, etc., are important, but not as major as the Med schedules.  

Having been on the Silver Moon Feb. 14-29, Mumbai to Singapore, I offer the view that this situation is somewhat a Charles Dickens "Tale of Two Cities".  From those experiences on the Silver Moon, the staff on the ship are excellent and "gets it" totally for serving the passengers well.  As to the Silversea brass and paper-pusher in Monaco and Miami, that's a totally different situation.  Sadly!!  It's the Silversea and/or Royal Caribbean "bureaucracy" and "bean-counters" that are completely out-of-touch for understanding the terrible situation facing customers left "HANGING" and waiting and waiting in not knowing when and how a decision will be made and effective communications are going to happen.  

From being on the Silver Moon and talking with a number of the ship officials, I also know this is a very complex and challenging situation.  These ships are not jet aircraft that can be quickly be move around the globe in a few hours of time.  The "supply chain" for food and materials, refueling, getting the right staff in place, etc.  That is also very, very difficult to manage and maneuver.  Nothing is easy, simple or quick.  

Hoping that the Middle East warfare stops and is quickly fixed would be desired.  BUT, here is a quick sample for this morning's reality there: 

From the Associated Press/AP newswire this morning, they had this headline: Yemen's rebels target Singapore-flagged ship in Gulf of Aden as US and allies down Houthi drones with these highlights:The attack on Friday targeted the bulk carrier Propel Fortune, which continued on its way, according to the United States military's Central Command. 'The missiles did not impact the vessel," the U.S. military said. "There were no injuries or damages reported.'  The Houthis said Saturday they were behind the attack. Houthi military spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree claimed that along with targeting the Propel Fortune, the Houthi forces also launched 37 drones targeting American warships.  American officials said early Saturday that the U.S. Navy, allied warships and aircraft have shot down 15 bomb-carrying Houthi drones in the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea.   Friday's attack on Propel Fortune came after a Houthi missile struck a commercial ship in the Gulf of Aden on Wednesday, killing three of its crew members and forcing survivors to abandon the vessel.”

In the past week, I read more about the details of the attack in February on a fertilizer-carrying cargo ship, the Rubymar.  That ship sank last Saturday after drifting for several days.  Plus, there was the recent downing of an American drone worth tens of millions of dollars.  To dream this "situation" clears up in the next few weeks seems rather unrealistic.  Right or wrong?

Full story at:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/yemens-rebels-target-singapore-flagged-ship-in-gulf-of-aden-as-us-and-allies-down-houthi-drones/60145913

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 249,338 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

10 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

It is one or both of these. I would email using both.

I emailed both and bmuckerman@silversea.com bounced back so barbaram@silversea.com appears to be the appropriate address. 

• Like 1

This really is becoming annoying.

It is obvious to all and sundry the cruise will not go ahead so we are looking at alternatives but of course we can’t do anything until we have confirmation.

May is now out of the question for us so it’s now August - peak season in Europe and heavily booked. We found a cruise on Ray which is ok (been to all ports before) but the flights from Adelaide on the date we need is completely booked out. We can go out of Melbourne but it adds an extra 8 hours to a 23 hour flight!

The longer we have to wait before we can go ahead the worse it’s going to be. 

I wonder if the crew have been told anything - it must be so stressful for them not knowing what they are doing.

This could have and should have been handled better.