Electric outlets

oldshad55

The HAL vessels we have sailed in (Vollendam & Veendam) have cabin outlets which are standard 120VAC outlets with 60Hz power. No international adapters are needed. You will find though that there aren't very many outlets in the cabins. We always pack a six outlet power strip with surge suppression because of this.

We use rechargeable batteries in our two-way radios, CD players and cameras therefore we always bring a battery charger. We also have an MP3 player as well as a laptop computer along as well. We have never experienced any trouble powering or recharging any of these devices while aboard the ship.

So bring all of those electronic goodies and enjoy your cruise.

Having read of the lack of outlets in the cabin, we brought a 3-outlet thingie with us - along with the laptop, battery charger, mp3 player, 2 curling irons (you get the picture). We were VERY pleasantly surprised to find 2 American outlets on the desk in the cabin - what are they 110v (I'm a girl with a mechanical husband, no need to know these things). Also, a very nice hair dryer that plugs into a Euro-type outlet - 2 round prongs, also at the desk. I figured they didn't want the mostly American pax making off with the hair dryer (wouldn't be able to plug it in at home ;) ).

I had stuffed my own hair dryer in the bags, fearing the hair dryer stuck on the wall in the bathroom. I've got long thick hair that takes forever to dry - those little bathroom jobs are useless. The dryer onboard was great - I used it & never bothered unpacking my own. :)

We just got off the Volendam and at the desk was a European outlet - the blowdryer in the desk drawer used this one- and a 110v outlet where we plugged in the 6 outlet.

In the bathroom - on the wall- was a sort of old looking built in model - well , it worked great and I preferred the bathroom for drying instead of getting the main room hot and noisy.

No real problem with outlets if you bring the 6 outlet extension.

I've started bringing just an extension cord instead of the surge suppressor strip because of the weight - plugged into the outlet at the desk and using the top drawer of the desk to store the curling iron, camera and phone chargers, etc to keep the cabin a little neater. It has worked well for us. I'm referring to my previous cruises on Princess, but it sounds as if HAL has a similar situation.

Glad to know what to expect - thanks!

Most cruise ships have 220v, 40 amps as their standard power.

To accommodate North Americans, each cabin has a converter behind the wall that powers several 110v outlets in the cabin. Normally the converter can handle 20 amps total at 110 volts for the cabin.

Most cruise ships have 220v, 40 amps as their standard power.

To accommodate North Americans, each cabin has a converter behind the wall that powers several 110v outlets in the cabin. Normally the converter can handle 20 amps total at 110 volts for the cabin.

There is an outlet in th ebathroom that is convertible from 110V to 220v - but it normally will handle shavers and low load devices only.

Many nimrods don't understand that a heavy duty outlet above the sink would allow them to drop a hair dryer into the water and possibly kill them.

Archived