tagging baggage for guarantee cabin

scottie99

We are on the Victory out of NY on saturday with a balcony guarantee.How can I make sure our bags will get to our cabin? We will leave these at the pier but will not know our cabin numbers until we check in.

When you get to the ship, some of the baggage porters will be carrying clipboards. The clipboards have the pax room numbers on them. See one of them, they'll either give you new baggage tags/write your room number on the tags you have.

sleazy2.gif

[This message was edited by jleq on 06-13-04 at 06:41 PM.]

I had a gty room on our last cruise. Before we left I pre-printed some address lables with our name, address, phone # and e-mail in large, bold print. I left enough blank space at the bottom of the lable for our cabin #. (used our generic lables we got with our docs for a size guide.) When we got our cabin assignment, I just pulled out my sharpee from our carry-on and wrote the cabin # on the empty space, slapped it on the new colored tag, and we were off. Saved alot of time instead of filling out new tags completely at the pier. I made extra lables and used them to exchange names & addresses with people we met on the trip!

Karen

2hulagirls.gif

Fascination 03 2003

Monarch of the Seas 09 1995

In addition, fill out the grey TBA tags you received with your docs, and attach them to your bags. When the porter/agent gives you the new colored tags, just write the actual cabin number and ask them to staple your new tags to the old one, so that the grey is covered by your actual tag color, and your information still shows on the opposite side WITH the actual cabin number.

Hope this helps...

OMG...you carry you baggage INSIDE to pick up you tickets/assignment....Don't check your bags before that....they will give you your assigned cabin and the tags. Usually { and do not know how your port works}, you pick up cabin assign./tickets at baggage check in...so go inside?

When we did guarantee, we had to go intto where they were taking baggage....got our stuff at a desk set up in there..filled out our info on the baggage tickets we were given, and smooth ride from there...

Have fun !!

READY for the next cruise !!!

Victory 5/2004

Celebration 7/89

Triumph 6/2001

Victory 5/2002

Triumph 5/2003

Celebration 2/2004'Noro'SURVIVOR

At almost every port (I can't speak for all, but I know it's true in Florida, New Orleans and Galveston) you are supposed to leave your bags with the porters outside. There is no space for you to bring your baggage inside. As jleq stated, the porters will be able to determine your cabin number and therefore give you the appropriate tags to place on your bags. You can then leave those bags with that porter.

I can't speak for christhree's experience, but that's what I (and everyone else I've ever spoken to) have done each time.

<center><font size="-1"><hr>Also known as Dave, who is Openly Addicted to Cruising!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 until I hop on my last-minute cruise choice -- the Carnival Spirit to Alaska!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;9;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until I set sail on the Carnival Glory with O.A.T.C.!

</font><font face="arial narrow, verdana, arial, helvetica" size="-2">

Sitmar Fairwind (7/87–Caribbean) ⊕ Sitmar Fairwind (12/88–Panama Canal)

Carnival Sensation (8/00–Caribbean) ⊕ Grand Princess (5/01–Caribbean)

Crystal Harmony (8/02–Alaska) ⊕ Carnival Conquest (9/03–Caribbean)

Carnival Spirit (6/04–Alaska) ⊕ Carnival Glory (9/04–Caribbean)

If's the ship is a-rockin'... Check the stabilizers. (And get your mind out of the gutter!)

</font></center>

I agree with Dave. We've always checked our luggage with the porters outside. For one thing, whatever you take inside has to fit through the scanner before you get to the check-in counter. Christhree, did they have a counter set up somewhere before the scanner/security check point for you to pick up tickets? We've never had to pick up tickets at the pier before, so maybe that's what you mean?

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

Okay Im a little confused and now slightly paranoid...When I get my documents, they will send gray luggage tags for any of us that have guarentee cabins? Then we have to replace those with colored ones once we get our assignment?

Maybe someone can explain how the embarkation process works (just basically)...When we get to the pier, do we take all of our luggage with us to a Carnival building or a check in point where we will hand in our fun pass to someone and we will then get our assignment and new colored tags?

And then WE find a porter to take our baggage or they take it from us at this check in point after we are all checked in?

So what is the purpose of the gray tags in the first place? Cant I just use my regular luggage tag until I get the correct color from the Carnival rep at the pier?

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This has been our experience. We drive up to the baggage drop-off area. Take the luggage out of the car that is to be checked and not carried on the ship by us. A porter will approach us and will have a clipboard with passenger names and cabin assignments. Last year on the Victory, they did NOT have us put on new tags. They had a big marker and just wrote the cabin number on the gray tags. This year on the Glory, we were upgraded about a month before the cruise and had our cabin assignments for our cabin and our sons' cabin. My SIL did not have an assignment for her cabin or her daughter's cabin. She DID have to fill out new tags for their bags. I wish I had thought to type up some address stickers for her -- that would have been a great timesaver. The porter even told her to take the gray TBA tags off the bags. I don't know why they don't always do it the same way. Anyway, after we drop the bags off with the porters, the men go park the cars and we wait for them just inside the terminal. Then when we're all together, we get in line for the check in process. We have NEVER taken luggage that needs to be checked into the terminal with us.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

Hmmm...I guess my concern is that the porters do not work FOR Carnival right? I would just really like to check in with Carnival before I hand by grey-tagged bags over to some guy with a clipboard. Have other people been able to make the choice if you want to keep your luggage with you until after you check in? Or is that not possible? Perhaps it depends on the port - we are leaving from NYC which I have heard is a zoo, which is why I would like to keep my luggage with me as long as possible icon_smile.gif

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This is based on 16 cruises (multiple cruise lines...and all do the same thing).

1] You get/fill out your docs at home*

2] You go to the port

3] You identify your luggage. Verify to the porters the bag is yours

4] If you have a guar. cabin, find out what your cabin is. Get the correct tags/put them on

5] Tip the porter (usually $1/bag)

6] Watch them put in in the bin

7] Then, and only then, do you go inside the terminal

[*If you pick up your docs at the pier...start with step #2. And picking up docs is a painless process...akin to using an e-ticket when you fly]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Maybe someone can explain how the embarkation process works (just basically)... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The porters work for the Port Authority. They do not have the clipboard with the passenger list, but a Carnival Rep does. Feel free to let the porter handle your bags. When they see the grey tags they sure know what to do! They will obtain your actual cabin number and get the appropriate colored tags from the Carnival folks in your presence. You can staple the new color on top of the grey and just add the cabin number on the passenger info side, to save time. OR, you can discard the greys and fill out all the new tags you need with all the info and waste time. Its all up to you. I have also had both the grey and the orange tags on my bags recently. Your bags actually only need the cabin number to reach your cabin!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So what is the purpose of the gray tags in the first place? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're using Carnival transfers, the gray tag is used to confirm the bag actually gets to the ship with you. Also, should the airline lose your luggage, they would know to send it to the ship. Not your home address.

If you're driving to the ship/not using Carnival transfers, you could conceivably not use those gray tags.

sleazy2.gif

At GALVESTON, it seems things work a little different.

The porter directed us inside the terminal to the area where people who carry their own bags are to drop them off (for those silly ones not using the porters); one of us went there to get tags and the rest of us stayed outside with our bags. There were about 4 Carnival reps. at a desk with the lists and tags for those needed them. So yes, in some cases, you do go inside... depends on the port.

OK..clarify..

In Galveston, and MIAMI both...

We had to go to a different place.. / where they took baggage for a guaranteed cabin,,we had to get our assignment at the dock.

We FIRST checked in....

Then we had to check our baggage....

Tags were assigned...

We went on board/ baggage arried appropriately...

READY for the next cruise !!!

Victory 5/2004

Celebration 7/89

Triumph 6/2001

Victory 5/2002

Triumph 5/2003

Celebration 2/2004'Noro'SURVIVOR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The porters work for the Port Authority. They do not have the clipboard with the passenger list, but a Carnival Rep does. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This was true when we cruised on the Victory out of Miami last year, but not last month in Port Canaveral. There, the porter did have a clipboard with the passenger list.

Christhree, since you cruised out of Miami last month, I'd say they have changed things a little since we were there last year.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Glory Pictures (Part 1), Costa Maya:

http://community.webshots.com/album/153054619sWISTk

Emerald Seas 6/86 & 11/87, Royale 10/88, Celebration 6/97, Grandeur of the Seas 6/98, Sensation 6/99, Carnival Triumph 6/00 & 11/17/01, Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02, Carnival Victory 5/25/03, Carnival Glory 5/22/04

This has been an education for me! We've always picked our cabin number and this year we've got gaurantees. Thanks for the info regarding this.

dolfin_e0.gif

<MARQUEE>Forever Cruzin...</MARQUEE>

Emerald Seas 1990 & 1991

Dolphin 1992

Fantasy 1996

Soveriegn of the Seas 1998 & 2000

Norway 2001

Century 2002

Triumph 2003 & 2004

Paradise 2003

Archived