Rail Southampton < > Gatwick Airport. Revisions effective June 03, 2024

Posted (edited)

Southern Railway, who operates this very handy - and inexpensive - service is making changes. There is good news and bad news.

First the bad news. The hourly direct service between Southampton Central station (10 minutes tops by taxi from the ship) and Gatwick Airport, then on to London Victoria station is to cease. This is a shame since, for cruisers with baggage it is a very handy service, with Gatwick station directly under the airport concourse.

The good news is that the rail journey is still possible, but with a single, straight forward change, which might even shorten the overall journey time. Take the Brighton train (this service is doubled to 2 per hour). Change to another 30-minute service (Portsmouth Harbour to Victoria) at Havant station, where both services use the same platform (either direction). Expect a wait at Havant of about 18 minutes between trains - time to grab a coffee. From Southampton, Havant is about 40 minutes; Havant to Gatwick is about 70 minutes. another 35 minutes if going on to London Victoria.

Both Southampton Central and Gatwick Airport stations have elevators. Service may vary somewhat on Sundays and holidays.

Note: there is no straightforward rail service between Southampton and Heathrow. Better to use the direct bus service, which leaves/arrives at the bus terminal near Southampton Central station.

Edited by Canuker
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

The new timetable outlined in post #1 is now in effect.

I have complied a timetable for this service, extracted from the national timetable #178, effective until December 01, 2024.

Click here to access the timetable.

The difference between it and post #1 is that the station used to change trains is Barnham, not Havant, which is recommended by the train company, Southern Railway (though changing at Havant is still feasible).

In summary, after about 7:30 am through the day and evening, journeys run every half-hour (hourly on Sundays). Before 7:30 am, times vary from that format.

The change of trains at Barnham involves no use of stairs or elevators. Time between trains there is typically 12 minutes (more on Sundays) giving the opportunity to pick up coffee and snacks on the platform if required. Trains originate / end at Southampton, so there is no rush to board / alight there. Trains pause at Gatwick for a full minute or two. total journey time is typically a little less than 3 hours.

Since most of the Gatwick trains listed also use London Victoria, these times are also shown, for passengers who wish to go to / from central London.

One-way fares are approximately £20 (~US$26). These fares are less than half the price of those offered by rival South Western Railway, routed via Clapham Junction,which requires elevators and/or stairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canuker said:

The new timetable outlined in post #1 is now in effect.

I have complied a timetable for this service, extracted from the national timetable #178, effective until December 01, 2024.

Click here to access the timetable.

The difference between it and post #1 is that the station used to change trains is Barnham, not Havant, which is recommended by the train company, Southern Railway (though changing at Havant is still feasible).

In summary, after about 7:30 am through the day and evening, journeys run every half-hour (hourly on Sundays). Before 7:30 am, times vary from that format.

The change of trains at Barnham involves no use of stairs or elevators. Time between trains there is typically 12 minutes (more on Sundays) giving the opportunity to pick up coffee and snacks on the platform if required. Trains originate / end at Southampton, so there is no rush to board / alight there. Trains pause at Gatwick for a full minute or two. total journey time is typically a little less than 3 hours.

Since most of the Gatwick trains listed also use London Victoria, these times are also shown, for passengers who wish to go to / from central London.

One-way fares are approximately £20 (~US$26). These fares are less than half the price of those offered by rival South Western Railway, routed via Clapham Junction,which requires elevators and/or stairs.

Yes, the terminus for the direct Southampton / Gatwick train service was switched from Southampton to Portsmouth - so travelling from Southampton now involves a simple same-platform change at either Havant or Barnham to join the Gatwick train that now starts at Portsmouth.

The up-side of this is that the service is now every 30 minutes instead of every 60 minutes, and on sundays there is now an hourly service whereas before there was no sunday service.

The National Rail website https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ quotes a change at Havant when travelling in the Gatwick direction but a change at Barnham in the Southampton direction - Havant & Barnham are a few minutes apart on the same part of the line which serves both trains, and both are a simple same-platform change. 

Yes, the alternative of a totally different route via a change at Clapham Junction is a little quicker but way more expensive and the change at Clapham Junction is arduous, especially with luggage. 

You can simplify your search by clicking on "Route via / avoid" on the National Rail website (or similar phraseology on other websites), then "stopping at" & type in Havant (or Barnham).

Life was a lot simpler, albeit a very great deal slower, in the days of a "coach-and-four"😉

JB 🙂

• Like 2

I'm booked on the Southampton>Gatwick route on Sunday 8th September.

Thanks to the information early in this thread I knew to look for a train with a change at Havant/Barnham. I got it for the princely sum of £7 per person! 😁

I used the National Rail journey planner to book and it did actually show me this option without having to do the via/avoid thing, so I don't know if they've maybe updated something on the site.

Just to clarify, if you don't mind, my booking does say change at Havant. Am I correct in thinking that is also a case of jump off first train and wait on same platform for the next one? Or is it actually better to do the change at Barnham?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I'm booked on the Southampton>Gatwick route on Sunday 8th September.

Thanks to the information early in this thread I knew to look for a train with a change at Havant/Barnham. I got it for the princely sum of £7 per person! 😁

I used the National Rail journey planner to book and it did actually show me this option without having to do the via/avoid thing, so I don't know if they've maybe updated something on the site.

Just to clarify, if you don't mind, my booking does say change at Havant. Am I correct in thinking that is also a case of jump off first train and wait on same platform for the next one? Or is it actually better to do the change at Barnham?

Nice work, FMG.

Yes, on the Southern Railway website too tickets are available in advance for as low as £7. Others are priced at around £10 and £15 - all less than the standard fare of about £20. Advance fares are available to book online up to around 12 weeks before travel date, but these seats are limited supply and may well sell out. Vigilance will pay off - as it has for you.

I'm also seeing tickets between Southampton and London Victoria for about £13 - another steal.

FMG, if you tell me your departure time from Southampton, I can answer your last question.

Edited by Canuker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Canuker said:

Nice work, FMG.

Yes, on the Southern Railway website too tickets are available in advance for as low as £7. Others are priced at around £10 and £15 - all less than the standard fare of about £20. Advance fares are available to book online up to around 12 weeks before travel date, but these seats are limited supply and may well sell out. Vigilance will pay off - as it has for you.

I'm also seeing tickets between Southampton and London Victoria for about £13 - another steal.

FMG, if you tell me your departure time from Southampton, I can answer your last question.

@Canuker, thanks for this. We're on the 10.30 train from Southampton.

37 minutes ago, Canuker said:

Am I correct in thinking that is also a case of jump off first train and wait on same platform for the next one

Almost correct.  Wait on same platform for the next train that is going to Southampton.  (The next train might be another one for Portsmouth - but there are clears signs above the platform telling you where each trains is headed for, so it's not complicated)

Posted (edited)

Hello FMG,

Adding to what I2D has written, I can now give you specifics for your particular journey. You can change at either Havant or Barnham; I would choose Barnham because the station stopping time is a little longer, especially if carrying baggage.

Times are for Sunday September 08, 2024. all trains operated by Southern Railway. No on- board refreshments.

1. Train 1 of 2.

10:30 Depart Southampton Central, platform 3A eastbound. Train

destination: "Littlehampton"

Train originates here so should be available a few minutes

before departure.

Then EITHER:

2. 11:10 Arrive Havant, platform 1 eastbound (4th station stop). Train

pauses for <1 minute.

Refreshments may or may not available on platform

(Sunday service). 8 minutes wait here.

3. Train 2 of 2.

11:18 Depart Havant, platform 1 eastbound. Train destination "London 

Victoria"

Train due to arrive 1 minute earlier. This is the next 

scheduled departure from this platform.
OR

2. 11:30 Arrive Barnham, platform 3 eastbound (7th station stop). Train

pauses for 1 minute.

Refreshments may or may not available on platform (Sunday

service). 14 minutes wait here (couples up with another

train).

3. Train 2 of 2.

11:44 Depart Barnham, platform 3 eastbound. Train destination "London

Victoria"

Train due to arrive 12 minutes earlier at 11:32. This is the

next scheduled departure from this platform.

THEN (both options)

12:47 Arrive Gatwick Airport, platform 2 northbound. (14 station stops

from Havant, 10

station stops from Barnham). Train pauses for 1 minute.

Escalators and elevators available from platform up to 

airport concourse terminal 1, where there is a free 

rail shuttle to terminal 2, if needed.

Edited by Canuker
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Canuker said:

(couples up with another train)

For what it's worth, the train that departs Havant at 1118 is one of the trains that joins up at Barnham. It's scheduled to arrive at Barnham at 1140.

The other train comes from Bognor Regis and is scheduled to arrive at Barnham at 1137.

Both trains (once joined) then depart for London Victoria at 1144.

It's that 7-minute stop at Barnham that, to me, seems to be the best reason for changing at Barnham rather than Havant, given that both points have same-platform changes.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks very much for this @Canuker and @Globaliser. This is really helpful.

So, changing at Barnham is perfectly legal with regard to the conditions of the (advance) ticket, since we're still travelling on the specified trains and there's nothing on any of the paperwork that says we have to change at Havant, correct?

43 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Wow, thanks very much for this @Canuker and @Globaliser. This is really helpful.

So, changing at Barnham is perfectly legal with regard to the conditions of the (advance) ticket, since we're still travelling on the specified trains and there's nothing on any of the paperwork that says we have to change at Havant, correct?

Correct. 🙂

The ticket terms only specify the route.

And in any case you won't pass thru any barriers whether at Havant or Barnham - you get off the train, wait on the platform, get on the Victoria-bound train to  complete your journey.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Correct. 🙂

And in any case you won't pass thru any barriers whether at Havant or Barnham - you get off the train, wait on the platform, get on the Victoria-bound train to  complete your journey.

JB 🙂

Perfect. Thanks, JB. ☺️

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

Correct. 🙂

JB 🙂

FMG: As JB says, You don't have to change at Havant. But if you haven't changed at Havant you haven't got an alternative until you get to Barnham. And I've never heard of 'em barrin' 'em at Barnham.

For me, it's Barnham, bar none!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Canuker said:

FMG: As JB says, You don't have to change at Havant. But if you haven't changed at Havant you haven't got an alternative until you get to Barnham. And I've never heard of 'em barrin' 'em at Barnham.

👍👍👍☺️

15 hours ago, Canuker said:

Not quite true - you could also change at Chichester which is between the two. Not really much point in doing so though.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

FMG: one further thought. Your post #4 states you are heading to Gatwick on Sunday September 08. There are 3 cruise ships scheduled to turn around in Southampton that day. If that is the day you arrive in Southampton it's going to be a busy day in and around the port. Around 9,600 passengers are getting off and another 9,600 are getting on, if they sail full. Add to that the crew movements and the ship's suppliers and, yes it's busy.

I'd suggest that:

1. either pre-book a taxi / Uber /whatever to pick you up by about 10:00 am (to allow for traffic problems). The normal journey time to Southampton Central is around 5 - 10 minutes (ask for the "Bournemouth" side of the station, it's closer than the other. "London" side). Your green livery train will be standing at platform 3a, waiting to commence its journey at 10:30.

I don't know if this is feasible for you but if things look clogged up, it is quite walkable, if you're on either the Disney ship or the RCL ship. I'd allow 20 minutes if you are hauling baggage. Not as onerous as you may think - I've done it more than once.

Here's a map to show you where you berth (bottom left) and the location of the station (top, leftish). Keep right at that Gate 10 roundabout.

If you're cruising Cunard, into berth 46 (off the map to the bottom right) let me know and I can tell you that route if needed (about 20 minutes travel time).

Edited by Canuker
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Canuker. ☺️

Yup, it is indeed going to be busy that day. Back in October 2022, we had to wait over 30 minutes for it to be our turn in the taxi queue so I imagine this will be similar and that's exactly why I booked the 10.30 train to give us a bit of wiggle room. I'd rather have to hang around for a bit than get all flustered rushing to catch the 9.30, especially since our flight doesn't leave until 5 pm.

If it's a nice (euphemism for "not tipping it down with rain") day, we will probably walk to the station as we're both capable. If it is tipping it down, the strategy will be to hoof it to the Holiday Inn and call a taxi from there. That's what we did last year and it worked out fine.

Thanks for the directions regarding the station. I have no idea what side of the station we got dropped off at last year but I do remember having to go down some stairs, through an underpass and back up some more stairs onto the platform. We were headed for South Wales on that occasion, though, not Gatwick, so probably not the same one as this time.

Posted (edited)

Sounds like a plan, FMG. You've got it nailed.

Wandering off topic, re your trip to South Wales, I'm going to guess you changed trains at Salisbury or Westbury or Bristol, all of which have pedestrian ramps and 'subways' between platforms.

Southampton has only stairs and elevators, which are to the west of where you enter the platform; use them to access the island platform 3A.

If you want refreshment for the train, I doubt the little kiosk at 3A will be open on a Sunday; use the café on the platform where you enter.

As you climb aboard I shall also be in Europe: exploring the delights of Innsbruck.

Edited by Canuker

11 hours ago, Canuker said:

Sounds like a plan, FMG. You've got it nailed.

Wandering off topic, re your trip to South Wales, I'm going to guess you changed trains at Salisbury or Westbury or Bristol, all of which have pedestrian ramps and 'subways' between platforms.

Southampton has only stairs and elevators, which are to the west of where you enter the platform; use them to access the island platform 3A.

If you want refreshment for the train, I doubt the little kiosk at 3A will be open on a Sunday; use the café on the platform where you enter.

As you climb aboard I shall also be in Europe: exploring the delights of Innsbruck.

We didn't have to change trains; took one that went via Bristol all the way to Cardiff. I guess I must be thinking about the stairs you mentioned because our train from Southampton did leave from an island platform.

Good info about the refreshments. We might pick up a coffee to go along with the cookies that we will be bringing off the ship. 😉

Hope you enjoy your time in Innsbruck. ☺️