Splendor suite 1200

Posted (edited)

Has anyone here stayed in suite 1200 on Splendor?  Could you please give your thoughts and impressions?  Is wind noise a problem?  Can you use the balcony when the ship is underway?

thanks for sharing your experiences.

Edited by shuguley

We were in 1201 on Splendor about 2 years ago for a Caribbean cruise, and during the night there was considerable motion and vibration. We had a wrap around balcony (much too large to be useful) that we enjoyed cocktails on but that high up and forward, you will feel the wind. On our TA on Splendor last April, we wanted the same category suite but moved to one on Deck 10.......huge difference. 

3 hours ago, shuguley said:

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  You have been very helpful.

My pleasure. We are on Grandeur in July and again have opted for 1012, midship. We enjoyed the layout more and it was a most comfortable suite with very little noise nor vibration, and the deck was terrific to sit out on enjoying food and cocktails. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2024 at 7:35 AM, Gpilon said:

We were in 1201 on Splendor about 2 years ago for a Caribbean cruise, and during the night there was considerable motion and vibration. We had a wrap around balcony (much too large to be useful) that we enjoyed cocktails on but that high up and forward, you will feel the wind. On our TA on Splendor last April, we wanted the same category suite but moved to one on Deck 10.......huge difference. 

Question: Based upon your experience, and assuming no mid-ship deck 10 Grand Suite was available, would you choose the forward Grand Suite over a mid-ship Grandeur, Splendor or Explorer Suite?  To be more specific, was the vibration and wind such a factor that you would not take the suite under any circumstances?

1 hour ago, Bruce61 said:

Question: Based upon your experience, and assuming no mid-ship deck 10 Grand Suite was available, would you choose the forward Grand Suite over a mid-ship Grandeur, Splendor or Explorer Suite?  To be more specific, was the vibration and wind such a factor that you would not take the suite under any circumstances?

Vibration notwithstanding, I don't like those slanted walls in the forward suites. Mid-ship for me, with those giant balconies that don't face the wind.

2 hours ago, Bruce61 said:

We would most probably book a Grand Suite again and deal with the wind and vibration. The suite is beautiful……we love the space and second bathroom and being able to dine in any specialty restaurant of your choice on any night wins it for us. We are in 1012 on Grandeur in a few weeks and look very much forward to comparing the Grand Suite onboard against the 2 we had on Splendor. Bonne chance with your decision.

2 hours ago, Gpilon said:

We would most probably book a Grand Suite again and deal with the wind and vibration. The suite is beautiful……we love the space and second bathroom and being able to dine in any specialty restaurant of your choice on any night wins it for us. We are in 1012 on Grandeur in a few weeks and look very much forward to comparing the Grand Suite onboard against the 2 we had on Splendor. Bonne chance with your decision.

Thank you and have a wonderful cruise on Grandeur.  

We were in one of the forward deck 10 suites last month. I’d take it over the other categories because of the specialty dining privileges but we too much prefer the mid-ship GS. We’ve also had the aft GS and didn’t love it. That said, we didn’t have a problem with movement or vibration in the forward suite and the bathrooms were great - apart from the crazy design of the bath tub in the main bathroom.

1 hour ago, DaisyUK said:

We were in one of the forward deck 10 suites last month. I’d take it over the other categories because of the specialty dining privileges but we too much prefer the mid-ship GS. We’ve also had the aft GS and didn’t love it. That said, we didn’t have a problem with movement or vibration in the forward suite and the bathrooms were great - apart from the crazy design of the bath tub in the main bathroom.

I have not been in either suite, but the deck plan and online videos lead me to believe the deck nine forward Grand Suites are the ones with the slanted wall, and the other forward Grand Suites are on Deck 12 which don't have slanted walls or round windows.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong.  Forward on Deck 10 is the bridge and Forward on Deck 11 is the Observation Lounge.

Curious why the aft GS would not be loved, or at least liked more than a forward GS?  The Aft decks look amazing and also look like they could be used even when at sea.

I appreciate the comments.  

I stand corrected; I just checked and we were in 902, not on deck 10. Yes, we had a round window in the bedroom and also in the main bathroom above the bath. I hadn't realised that the deck 12 GS's didn't have that sloping ceiling. I think that would be better.

We've stayed in an aft GS on Explorer and Splendor. In both cases, the suite itself was smaller than the mid-ship GS's although the wrap-around balcony was very large and was usable at all times. However, there is a solid, slanting wall which blocks the view when sitting or lying down.If I remember correctly, this doesn't extend all the way around to the side balcony though. The living room was quite a bit smaller than the mid-ship GS's and the dining table was placed in front of the exit from the living room to the balcony which was a bit of a nuisance. We thought about moving it slightly but there is a light fixture above it which we would have walked into had we moved the table. We did feel a fair bit of vibration when arriving into and leaving port.

I don't mean to be too negative. We enjoyed all 3 versions of the GS, but given the choice would choose the mid-ship first. For a warm climate cruise, we'd probably choose the aft GS over the forward GS because of the balcony not being as usable. Also, I felt there was a lack of privacy from the bridge in 902 when on the balcony, although my husband thought I was being paranoid!

10 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

I felt there was a lack of privacy from the bridge in 902 when on the balcony, although my husband thought I was being paranoid!

IKR? They all have binoculars up there.  😛

Would the forward GS on 12 (with Observation Lounge below) or aft GS on 7 (with the gym below) be subject to noise? I've heard the rule of never choosing a suite with public areas above or below. 

24 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Just finished a cruise in a Grandeur Suite on Grandeur. I would take that over a forward Grand Suite if the mid ship Grands were not available. Not as large, but still has the second "potty". Very nice location and very quiet.

The Grands have a second full bath. But I agree, Grandeur is better bang for the buck, especially the ones with the deep balconies. 

On 6/29/2024 at 1:47 PM, Bruce61 said:

The unlimited specialty restaurants seem to be the ultimate perk though. 

On 6/29/2024 at 3:41 PM, DaisyUK said:

This is why we choose the GS. Otherwise we would go for the Grandeur. 

Lowly F1ers here. We've never had a problem getting a table (we don't share) anywhere we've wanted in 21 nights total on Grandeur. YMMV. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Lowly F1ers here. We've never had a problem getting a table (we don't share) anywhere we've wanted in 21 nights total on Grandeur. YMMV. 

That's interesting and good to know. Were the 21 nights consecutive? I ask because it might explain better availability than, say, 3x 7 night cruises where they have to fit everyone in for their 3 included reservations. On our recent 11 day Splendor cruise, (a few) people we chatted to had difficulty getting a second reservation in any of the specialties.

5 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

That's interesting and good to know. Were the 21 nights consecutive? I ask because it might explain better availability than, say, 3x 7 night cruises where they have to fit everyone in for their 3 included reservations. On our recent 11 day Splendor cruise, (a few) people we chatted to had difficulty getting a second reservation in any of the specialties.

This was our exact experience on a 7-day cruise on Explorer in September.It was seemingly impossible for a second dinner reservation in any of the specialty restaurants but lunch was pretty easy in Prime 7 and Chartreuse.  Not the same menu though..

7 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

2 hours ago, Bruce61 said:

This was our exact experience on a 7-day cruise on Explorer in September.It was seemingly impossible for a second dinner reservation in any of the specialty restaurants but lunch was pretty easy in Prime 7 and Chartreuse.  Not the same menu though..

We had a 7-night and a 14-night, on Grandeur. F1 category suite, fully booked cruise. While it was easier on the 14-night, we were able to get a second specialty if we wanted. It's easier if you don't mind sharing a table. Of course, there are no guarantees. I found the quality at Compass Rose was on the same level as the signatures. Sette Mari was more casual, but the quality there was equally satisfying; I especially enjoyed their very authentic pastas. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 11:47 PM, DaisyUK said:

What didn't you like about the Aft GS ?   We have that booked on Splendor for an April 25 cruise.

56 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

What didn't you like about the Aft GS ?   We have that booked on Splendor for an April 25 cruise.

We didn't 'not like' the aft GS, but we preferred the room proportions of the mid-ship one. We booked the aft because we wanted the large balcony, which of course it does have. However, the downside - for us - was that the internal areas are smaller in the aft suites than the mid-ship suites. We didn't have the best weather on our 2 cruises in the aft suites, so the balcony was less useful than we thought it would be. Also, the solid, sloping wall meant the view was compromised and also created shadow. Had the weather been kinder, I think we would have appreciated having the large, wrap-around balcony.