Marseille excursion to Aix and Avignon

conquesodor

Hello, I'm looking at an excursion offered by MSC that's listed as lasting 7 hours and would take us to Aix and then Avignon. I'm curious if anyone has any advice or insights on this. I am very interested in going to Avignon and it doesn't seem practical to do on your own. I'm concerned that it will be a whirl wind tour that will leave me wishing we had just spent that day in Aix, which seems much easier to do yourself.

Thanks,
Ken

17 hours ago, conquesodor said:

, I'm looking at an excursion offered by MSC that's listed as lasting 7 hours and would take us to Aix and then Avignon.

That sounds quite a lot to pack into a 7 hour tour and you would need to read the tour description very carefully to find out exactly what would be included.

And as it is an MSC specific question, suggesting that you cross post on the MSC forum where any MSC cruise passengers who have taken this tour would be more likely to see it and respond.

• Thanks 1

We agree with Edinburgher.  The OP might want to consider that Aix is relatively close to Marseille (about 30 minutes) while Avignon is just over 50 miles distant.  Doing both on a 7 hour tour will give you a little time in both locations, which does satisfy folks who prefer short times in many destinations.  Those of us who like to "stop and smell the roses" might not be as happy.  

Personally, DW and I will often spend nearly 2 hours just enjoying lunch :).  My issue with a combined Aix and Avignon tour is that they are both relatively large/busy places.  If I were taking a group on a tour to Avignon I would probably toss in a visit the Les Baux or perhaps St Remy (especially if it was market day).  As to Aix, when we visit that city it is usually for a longer visit and a nice lunch (Aix has many decent eating venues).

By the way, I understand that some might say I stress lunch.  That is simply because one might consider you are in France, which along with other countries (like Italy and Spain) have a wonderful culture of food/wine.  I cannot imagine walking around Old Town Aix and not spending some time eating/drinking.  Hard for DW and I to pass up the outdoor cafes or even some of the indoor restaurants.

Hank

• Like 1