Speciality Dining Pkg - first time on RC

I've only cruised NCL so forgive me if this is a stupid question.  I purchased a 3 night Specialty Dining package.  When I purchased I was able to reserve some restauant for the 2nd night.  Not certain what it is but I assume it's Chops.  Can I just walk up to the other restaurants on the nights I want to eat there or do I need a reservation in advance?  I have read about making reservations as soon as you get on board so maybe that is the same with the dining package too.

Posted (edited)

RCCL basically floats a placeholder reservation when you purchase one of their packages.  The easiest way to handle that is to visit the Matre d at either the placeholder restaurant (Chops?) or at any other of the specialty restaurant after you board and they will handle all of your reservations for you then.  Takes about 10 -15 minutes and you are set for the week. I would not suggest waiting and walking up to the restaurants as preferred days and times are likely to not be available without prior reservations.

I would also not suggest including Izumi in your package mix as they are a la carte sushi (with one set price for one dinner combination on the menu) that in our experience has never reached the credit they give you for that venue.  Much better off going to the other venues with the fees in your package. Just my opinion.  

However, f you want to eat at Izumi (separately) you certainly can - and should -make reservations for them when you board as well as @coachmike1959 indicates they book up early.

And nothing is ever a stupid question the first time with something new.  And this was a good one to ask!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

RCCL basically floats a placeholder reservation when you purchase one of their packages.  The easiest way to handle that is to visit the Matre d at either the placeholder restaurant (Chops?) or at any other of the specialty restaurant after you board and they will handle all of your reservations for you then.  Takes about 10 -15 minutes and you are set for the week. I would not suggest waiting and walking up to the restaurants as preferred days and times are likely to not be available without prior reservations.

I would also not suggest including Izumi in your package mix as they are a la carte sushi (with one set price for one dinner combination on the menu) that in our experience has never reached the credit they give you for that venue.  Much better off going to the other venues with the fees in your package. Just my opinion.  

However, f you want to eat at Izumi (separately) you certainly can - and should -make reservations for them when you board as well as @coachmike1959 indicates they book up early.

And nothing is ever a stupid question the first time with something new.  And this was a good one to ask!

Great.  Thank you both for this info.  We are going on Voyager in September Barcelona to Rome and it did feel a little odd to eat at a sushi place.  I think we will skip it.

Edited by firstimer2009

11 minutes ago, firstimer2009 said:

Great.  Thank you both for this info.  We are going on Voyager in September Barcelona to Rome and it did feel a little odd to eat at a sushi place.  I think we will skip it.

Don't misunderstand me.  If you like sushi, Izumi is very good.  I am only suggesting in general to not include that as part of the dining package as it is a la carte and usually costs less that way than if included in the package. But on Voyager there only are Giovani's, Chops, and Izumi, so with your 3 night package you will have to repeat either Giovani's or Chops (which is not hard to do!) or see what they offer as a credit to Izumi.  All three are very good restaurants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

I've only cruised NCL so forgive me if this is a stupid question.  I purchased a 3 night Specialty Dining package.  When I purchased I was able to reserve some restauant for the 2nd night.  Not certain what it is but I assume it's Chops.  Can I just walk up to the other restaurants on the nights I want to eat there or do I need a reservation in advance?  I have read about making reservations as soon as you get on board so maybe that is the same with the dining package too.

Rarely if ever do they make a pre reservation for you, your day and time pick was just a placeholder. Go to any specialty after you board and make all three reservations for the week. Now that ships are sailing at 110% capacity the specialty's fill quick. I think Specialty dining, including chef's table,  are the only reservations you need. All shows are first come first served.  

• Like 1