Transfer to Venice after Disembarkation in Trieste

aaaaa

Good day -- Does Cunard offer transfers to Venice (the island rather than the airport) after disembarkation in Trieste?  (I couldn't find information about that on the Cunard website.)  Related, is there an easy method to make the transfer independently?  Thank you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My choice is:
If the Ship offers a coach transfer to the Venice Marco Polo Airport then you can book a shared speedboat shuttle from the Airport to any of the Venice Hotels, or those on the Islands with Venice Link.
Shared Speed Boat Transfer

I'm not aware of any cruise ship transfers going in to Venice itself, but since the Ships no longer dock in Venice then there could be coaches now, but more likely on trips and tours only.

Or there is FlixBus (coach transfer) that runs from the Trieste bus station to Venice Mestre Station, where you can take a train or a Taxi across the lagoon causeway to Venice S.Lucia station, or the P. le Roma main square, then take a water taxi or walk to your hotel.

Some Flix buses drop you at Venice Tronchetto which has a pier for the water buses Vaporettos. If you travel as a couple, or with group of friends - the private or shared water taxi service is a most comfortable and affordable way to get from Tronchetto Car Park to Venice.

FlixBus from Trieste

FlixBus also runs direct to the Airport!

There are also a few trains that run from Trieste to Mestre, where you may have to get another train to S.Lucia, then you need to take a water taxi, or walk to your hotel.

The problem with the morning departure off the ship is getting to the Trieste bus or train station. With thousands of pax disembarking, there can be quite a line for taxis.
The bus and train stations are about a 15-20 minute walk from the cruise pier.

Personally, I would take the cruise ship transfer to the Airport.
From the airport you can catch a taxi to Venice (P. le Roma) for 45-50E for the 20 minute ride, or to book (which would be my choice) the speedboat shuttle direct to the nearest pier for your hotel, as it is the only way to arrive in Venice!

Be very aware of the Santa Lucia Train Station and Piazzale Roma, both of which can be problematic, especially in the evening. Have your wits about you. The beggars and pickpocket gangs of Venice will be around.

Edited by rog747
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

BTW if you are looking for a lovely small family owned hotel right on the lagoon just down from S.Marco then the Pensione Wildner is a treat.
Great food, and breakfasts with a view.
Its old,quirky and charming with no lift, and it's cheap!
Book a lagoon view room.
Water taxi stop 1 minute walk away, the hotel is right on the promenade of Riva Degli Schiavoni and almost next to the San Vidal Church near the Accademia Bridge, the Church where Vivaldi practiced and now concerts are held. 

Rick Stein ate at the Hotel on his Venice to Istanbul TV series.

Edited by rog747

6 hours ago, rog747 said:

My choice is:
If the Ship offers a coach transfer to the Venice Marco Polo Airport then you can book a shared speedboat shuttle from the Airport to any of the Venice Hotels, or those on the Islands with Venice Link.
Shared Speed Boat Transfer

I'm not aware of any cruise ship transfers going in to Venice itself, but since the Ships no longer dock in Venice then there could be coaches now, but more likely on trips and tours only.

Or there is FlixBus (coach transfer) that runs from the Trieste bus station to Venice Mestre Station, where you can take a train or a Taxi across the lagoon causeway to Venice S.Lucia station, or the P. le Roma main square, then take a water taxi or walk to your hotel.

Some Flix buses drop you at Venice Tronchetto which has a pier for the water buses Vaporettos. If you travel as a couple, or with group of friends - the private or shared water taxi service is a most comfortable and affordable way to get from Tronchetto Car Park to Venice.

FlixBus from Trieste

FlixBus also runs direct to the Airport!

There are also a few trains that run from Trieste to Mestre, where you may have to get another train to S.Lucia, then you need to take a water taxi, or walk to your hotel.

The problem with the morning departure off the ship is getting to the Trieste bus or train station. With thousands of pax disembarking, there can be quite a line for taxis.
The bus and train stations are about a 15-20 minute walk from the cruise pier.

Personally, I would take the cruise ship transfer to the Airport.
From the airport you can catch a taxi to Venice (P. le Roma) for 45-50E for the 20 minute ride, or to book (which would be my choice) the speedboat shuttle direct to the nearest pier for your hotel, as it is the only way to arrive in Venice!

Be very aware of the Santa Lucia Train Station and Piazzale Roma, both of which can be problematic, especially in the evening. Have your wits about you. The beggars and pickpocket gangs of Venice will be around.

Many thanks for your detailed reply.  I do hope that the ship offers a transfer to the Venice airport.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 12:48 PM, aaaaa said:

Many thanks for your detailed reply.  I do hope that the ship offers a transfer to the Venice airport.

I too hope the ship offers a transfer to Venice airport 😀

A Cunard telephone agent reports that transfers from Trieste to the Venice airport are offered -- at a cost of $50 per person.  The transfer was available for purchase over the telephone in advance of the sailing.  The agent did not know when the transfers were scheduled to depart.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a difficult trip by train.  But to be honest, Trieste is a marvellous and sometimes under-rated destination, and a decent day there is worth a lot more than a much shorter time in Venice with time sitting on a train (or on the Cunard coach) all the way there and all the way back.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, IB2 said:

It's not a difficult trip by train.  But to be honest, Trieste is a marvellous and sometimes under-rated destination, and a decent day there is worth a lot more than a much shorter time in Venice with time sitting on a train (or on the Cunard coach) all the way there and all the way back.

Yes - we are doing a walk (one of these where they ship your luggage to the next B&B) from Ljubljana to Trieste this October. I've booked an extra night both ends as both places look great (and could easily spend more time at both). My plan is to take the train from Trieste to Venice airport - I think it's about 90mins

On 3/17/2024 at 2:34 PM, aaaaa said:

A Cunard telephone agent reports that transfers from Trieste to the Venice airport are offered -- at a cost of $50 per person.  The transfer was available for purchase over the telephone in advance of the sailing.  The agent did not know when the transfers were scheduled to depart.

Hi

just called to UK Cunard and advised £50 pp.

If you paid $50 pp then usual rip off when booking in UK. Now thinking I should only book return when board as presumably that will be in dollars 😀