10 Month Old - Fjord Iona

Superfez

Hello Everyone,

First time cruiser with second post! 

Just wanted to see if anyone had any top tips or advice for 2 first time cruisers embarking on the Iona Fjords Trip with P&O from Southampton 1st June (G416).

Anything from food to excursions to on board. Specific stuff around travelling with a very young child is especially appreciated! 

I have posted a specific request for help on Briksdal glacier elsewhere 🛳🛳🚢🚢

We have cruised on Iona twice and as you know she is huge, but well designed for a Fjords cruise as she has lots of outside space. As your cruise is for a week I  would suggest not trying to see/ do everything on board but just find some favourite venues. The Olive Grove is lovely, book as soon as you can when you get onboard or from the terminal if you can access the app. Iona is easy to navigate with a pushchair. The crew are really helpful, if there is anything you need for the baby ask your cabin steward or the waiters. I have no experience of nursery / night nursery but from other accounts they seem to work well. Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the fjords, they are stunning.

The night nursery is really good, just need to get little one settled before taking them in, then you get a pager so if you are needed they'll buzz you. Our daughter had impeccable timing, she'd be fast asleep then as soon as we sat down to watch the show, the pager went off!

The nursery is good in the daytime too, you can go in and play with the toys.

I agree with it being easy to get around with a baby, there's loads of space.

15 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

We have cruised on Iona twice and as you know she is huge, but well designed for a Fjords cruise as she has lots of outside space. As your cruise is for a week I  would suggest not trying to see/ do everything on board but just find some favourite venues. The Olive Grove is lovely, book as soon as you can when you get onboard or from the terminal if you can access the app. Iona is easy to navigate with a pushchair. The crew are really helpful, if there is anything you need for the baby ask your cabin steward or the waiters. I have no experience of nursery / night nursery but from other accounts they seem to work well. Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the fjords, they are stunning.

Thanks for this Dorset. Really helpful advice. I will definitely check out the Olive Grove! The menu looks good online! 

8 hours ago, Warrior85 said:

The night nursery is really good, just need to get little one settled before taking them in, then you get a pager so if you are needed they'll buzz you. Our daughter had impeccable timing, she'd be fast asleep then as soon as we sat down to watch the show, the pager went off!

The nursery is good in the daytime too, you can go in and play with the toys.

I agree with it being easy to get around with a baby, there's loads of space.

This is massively helpful Warrior85. I'll be showing the wife who I think is less confident about leaving the little man. Perhaps I can leave them to it and go to the show alone! 

• Haha 1

Only you know your child and their routine, try and and keep it similar so you all enjoy the holiday.

Don't get too hung up about night nursery, our daughter was 3 on our first cruise, she never settled there so we abandoned it.  It was a long way from the dining room to the nursery to collect her and she was upset when we picked her up.

For her first holdiays abroad we used a Littlelife travel cot which is like a small tent.  Small to take in luggage and can be dismantled in the cabin.

Sleeping in a pushchair is no bad thing.  It means you can get your evening meal and show without being disturbed.

6 hours ago, Superfez said:

This is massively helpful Warrior85. I'll be showing the wife who I think is less confident about leaving the little man. Perhaps I can leave them to it and go to the show alone! 

That's the beauty of having 2 theatre showings, one of us would pick our daughter up from the nursery then watch the 10/10:30pm show 😀