Lawyer already to sue for Celbrity bus accident

rcicruiser

Turtlemichael - this is ludicras!!! I book a cruise not someone to hold my hand and take responsiblity for my actions as a legal adult - and if this guy gets his way then X will no alternative but to not allow anyone ashore unless you are on a X sponsered excursion. Would you want that? Hell no!!

If you think you need a guardian then have the court asign you one but stop advocating the rest of us need one since most of us are still ready to accept responsiblity for our own lives and actions!

Turtlemichael - this is ludicras!!! I book a cruise not someone to hold my hand and take responsiblity for my actions as a legal adult - and if this guy gets his way then X will no alternative but to not allow anyone ashore unless you are on a X sponsered excursion. Would you want that? Hell no!!

If you think you need a guardian then have the court asign you one but stop advocating the rest of us need one since most of us are still ready to accept responsiblity for our own lives and actions!

Whoo there! I suggest you read my posts again as you are accusing me of things I clearly didn't say. :rolleyes:

Suggesting that Celebrity has ANY 'responsibility' to passengers that deliberately ignored the MANY & VARIED cruise line warnings about booking with non-approved shore-excursion companies is absurd. The fact is that Celebrity had no obligation to these passengers at all when they left the ship ON THEIR OWN, yet: a) stationed three of their own crew in Arica, Chile (at Celebrity expense) to facilitate handling of the aftermath of the tragedy. b) FLEW family and a rabbi from the US to Chile (at Celebrity expense!), as a compassionate gesture! This says it all.

As far as Turtle Michael's: "However, let me put possible grounds to you. It could be argued that a shipping line has a duty to its passengers to ensure they are safe. That's almost irrefutable."

ONBOARD? YES. ON UNAUTHORIZED SHORE EXCURSIONS THAT THEY WERE WARNED WELL IN ADVANCE ABOUT? NO NO NO !!!!

"That could mean nailing down the carpet so someone doesn't fall and break a leg. It could also mean when taking people to a remote place, making sure they are at least aware that there are shonky operators, that the roads are particularly dangerous and that if they do decide to take a trip other than with an "authorized" tour company, they are aware of the issues."

THEY WERE WARNED. READ THE DOCUMENTATION ON ANY X CRUISE!!

THEY CHOSE TO IGNORE THE WARNINGS, (PRESUMABLY) IN AN ATTEMPT TO 'SAVE' MONEY - AND PAID THE PRICE WITH THEIR LIVES.

"A counter argument could be that that information is common knowledge and every one should know it or find out for themselves. It's not the shipping company's responsibility to tell anyone."

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG on BOTH STATEMENTS. CELEBRITY DID TELL THEM!!!

"Now I have no idea if the tour operator was shonky, unlicensed or whatever. But there is a possible case. Who wins would depend on a whole host of factors but it will be decided according to law."

YES - THERE IS A CASE. AGAINST THE BUS TOUR OPERATOR, CERTAINLY. BUT SLIMY LAWYERS LIKE RIVKIN, ET AL., ARE NOT INTERESTED IN SOME DIRT POOR BUS TOUR OPERATOR, WHO WAS OPERATING AN UNLICENSED

SERVICE. THEY WANT TO GO AFTER CELEBRITY, BECAUSE CELEBRITY HAS MONEY - AND THE TOUR OPERATOR HAS LITTLE OR NONE. (JUDGEMENT PROOF, IN LEGAL PARLANCE).

1. If you are right and the relatives of the people killed have their day in Court suing Celebrity, they will lose. I was really reacting to the theme of the thread that a shyster lawyer could even contemplate suing Celebrity. He can sue if he thinks his clients have grounds - he may win or lose. We'll see. I was trying to put up an alternative view. Is that so threatening?

Having been on a couple of cruises, and having throughly enjoyed them, and planning to do more I will continue to comment on the things that interest me. Long ago I lost interest in threads about tipping, the food, etc Those issues that do interest me, perhaps the more controversial, I will continue to contribute to.

My in-laws were two people that were killed in this bus crash and as a former travel agent Celebrity went above and beyond in something they didn't have to do. They didn't have to do all that they did for the families of this tragedic accident. Celebrity could have said to us "your families booked this shore excursion on their own too bad." but they didn't. Some might say that their generosity was motivate by a fear of bad press but in the end who cares what it was motivated by Celebrity couldn't do enough for the families.

It is an overwhelming task to bring back bodies from a foreign country. Not only did Celebrity help navigate this with the US embassy and several Jewish agencies, they were the "spokesmen" that provided constant communications with the families. My in-laws were killed last Wednesday evening and by Friday (a day and a half later) their bodies were back at JFK airport from Chile. We were very impressed by the way Celebrity understood our needs, according to Jewish customs and laws, in handling the bodies, in making a sure a Rabbi was overseeing any autopsy that had to be performed (autopsies are a no-no in Jewish law), and issues relating to Jewish burials (24 hours max for burial unless circumstances say otherwise then as quickly as possible).

Sadly lawyers like Rivkin crawl out of the wood work to prey on families devastated by tragedies. He didn't call us and we wouldn't take his call if he did.

The way we view their death was as a tragedic accident and my in-laws died doing something they loved traveling while surrounded by their close friends who unfortunately also perished.

Eileen

Eileen - your pain must be immense. Please accept my condolences for your spouse & family. I am heartened that X did what they could for you - but I realize nothing can replace your parents in-law. Your moral fibre & wisdom is evident in your post, and may God give you the strength to cope with this terrible event. Shalom.

My in-laws were two people that were killed in this bus crash and as a former travel agent Celebrity went above and beyond in something they didn't have to do. They didn't have to do all that they did for the families of this tragedic accident. Celebrity could have said to us "your families booked this shore excursion on their own too bad." but they didn't. Some might say that their generosity was motivate by a fear of bad press but in the end who cares what it was motivated by Celebrity couldn't do enough for the families.

It is an overwhelming task to bring back bodies from a foreign country. Not only did Celebrity help navigate this with the US embassy and several Jewish agencies, they were the "spokesmen" that provided constant communications with the families. My in-laws were killed last Wednesday evening and by Friday (a day and a half later) their bodies were back at JFK airport from Chile. We were very impressed by the way Celebrity understood our needs, according to Jewish customs and laws, in handling the bodies, in making a sure a Rabbi was overseeing any autopsy that had to be performed (autopsies are a no-no in Jewish law), and issues relating to Jewish burials (24 hours max for burial unless circumstances say otherwise then as quickly as possible).

Sadly lawyers like Rivkin crawl out of the wood work to prey on families devastated by tragedies. He didn't call us and we wouldn't take his call if he did.

The way we view their death was as a tragedic accident and my in-laws died doing something they loved traveling while surrounded by their close friends who unfortunately also perished.

Eileen

Eileen, I am so sorry to hear about your tragic loss and would like to express my condolences to you and your family. I can tell by your post that you are a very intelligent woman, who has an excellent sense of values. May memories of the special times you shared with your in-laws be a source of comfort for you at this difficult time.

Eileen I just want you to know that I am sitting here in tears as I read your beautiful tribute to your Parents in Law. Your wisdom in facing this tragedy in that you are absolutely right. They died together doing something that brought them joy and surrounded by their friends. many of us would wish for nothing greater.

I am in England and I feel so removed from your grief but like many people around the world you will be in my thoughts and prayers in the weeks and months ahead.

Sue

My first post got poofed but in a nutshell, Eileen, your grace and strength are a credit to your family. I wish you and yours all the best at this time. I am also heartened to hear that Celebrity aided the families according to their religiious customs. God Bless.

Leenie ~ hello again. Thank you so much for coming back to the boards and sharing your thoughts with us. It is very kind of you in this time of grief to stop by and share from your heart. Know that all of your friends here on Cruise Critic continue to hold you, your family members and all your friends touched by this tragedy in our thougths and prayers.

I hope that some day our paths will cross on a ship!

Archived