When an upsell offer really isn't an upgrade.....

I haven't gotten an upgrade offer in many years. Last one I recall was on a cruise where we had a large group sailing together and the majority of our cabins were near each other, including our cabin being next to my mom and my sister's cabins. We had our young toddler with us and they were going to help with her a couple nights so the hubby and I could go out and enjoy the nightlife. We didn't want to be separated so it was a no for us. 

In my younger years (20's to early 30's), I booked our cabins more for price than location. We were young, single adults and didn't spend hardly any time in our cabins. I didn't really care what was above or below us. But now - that is the first thing I check! I also tend to book balconies these days. Nice to have the extra room when traveling with the kiddo! 

Many time the 'upgrade' upsell is the same amount as if you'd booked the upsold room originally. Always do your homework. We have very rarely taken an upgrade, since we usually book what we want.

The UPGRADE FAIRY used to be around a bit more, with actual upgrades at no cost, but seems to have vanished, at least for me, over the last decade...

• Like 2