Queen Anne World Cruise 2025

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about booking a World Cruise on Queen Anne for 2025. I've never been on a cruise before but have always wanted to try it.  I'm not one who enjoys dressing up though so not really planning to do the fancy gala nights, or maybe just once or twice. Any advice for a newbie cruiser traveling solo in terms of making friends onboard? Do you recommend Cunard-run shore excursions? And any packing recommendations for a 3-month voyage? For any other solo travelers out there, what has your experience been like specifically with Cunard?  Thanks all, appreciate your comments! 

Posted (edited)

Agreed. A world cruise is a huge investment and if you discover cruising isn’t for you, being stuck on a ship for 3 months having potentially shelled out tens of thousands of dollars would be utterly soul destroying.

If you’re based in New York, why not try a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 first, to see if you enjoy life at sea the Cunard way?  

Also, you should be aware that Cunard is probably the most formal line there is when it comes to evening attire, and while there is no obligation to dress formally you would find yourself very much in the minority and excluded from several venues (not least the main restaurant and a number of bars) on gala nights if you didn’t.

Edited by gumshoe958

33 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Agreed. A world cruise is a huge investment and if you discover cruising isn’t for you, being stuck on a ship for 3 months having potentially shelled out tens of thousands of dollars would be utterly soul destroying.

If you’re based in New York, why not try a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 first, to see if you enjoy life at sea the Cunard way?  

Also, you should be aware that Cunard is probably the most formal line there is when it comes to evening attire, and while there is no obligation to dress formally you would find yourself very much in the minority and excluded from several venues (not least the main restaurant and a number of bars) on gala nights if you didn’t.

Not a bad idea!  And yes, I was a little worried about the dress code, even on non-gala nights. But like you said, it's a big investment in dollars and time too. Seems like a great adventure though! 

From what I have read and seen online, Cunard makes solo passengers feel involved and welcomed. With you being in NYC, as suggested above, try a seven night transatlantic on QM2 before you commit to a monumental three month voyage. You may actually end up liking the dressed up Gala nights but a seven night crossing will tell you. Or, out of NY, try a Christmas time Caribbean cruise to get an idea of port stops during a cruise. 
There are also plenty of YouTube vlogs describing the Cunard experience so check them out too. 

Cruising is not for everyone and neither is Cunard so if you’ve never been on a cruise, starting on a world cruise is a big ask!

13 minutes ago, NE John said:

From what I have read and seen online, Cunard makes solo passengers feel involved and welcomed. With you being in NYC, as suggested above, try a seven night transatlantic on QM2 before you commit to a monumental three month voyage. You may actually end up liking the dressed up Gala nights but a seven night crossing will tell you. Or, out of NY, try a Christmas time Caribbean cruise to get an idea of port stops during a cruise. 
There are also plenty of YouTube vlogs describing the Cunard experience so check them out too. 

Cruising is not for everyone and neither is Cunard so if you’ve never been on a cruise, starting on a world cruise is a big ask!

Thank you, appreciate your input! 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 1stTimeWorldCruiser said:

Not a bad idea!  And yes, I was a little worried about the dress code, even on non-gala nights. But like you said, it's a big investment in dollars and time too. Seems like a great adventure though! 

What drew you to Cunard and a World Cruise if you are not keen on dressing for dinner? I'm really curious and it might help people to give you advice if they could understand your thought processes a bit more.

I've always travelled as a solo on Cunard and find it very enjoyable especially sharing a table at dinner with interesting fellow passengers. There are plenty of activities on during the day and the evening but it would depend a bit on your interests and perhaps your age group, as well.

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 4:09 AM, 1stTimeWorldCruiser said:

I'm thinking about booking a World Cruise . . . I've never been on a cruise before . . .

This is like saying I am thinking of running a full marathon, but I have never gone running before.  It does not make much sense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1