Passport In Port

Can't say it make total sense, but I always take ours in European/Asian ports but rarely if ever do in the Caribbean. Maybe its because we're closer to home? I do keep photocopies just in case. Wouldnt be as good as the originals in a pinch, but something. 

23 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

If you miss the ship your passport is left with the port agent.

12 hours ago, SRF said:

MAY.  Not guaranteed. 

but likely. 

do you feel lucky?

9 hours ago, island lady said:

We leave our passport book in the safe, where the ship's crew would look for it if needed.

This last part is the critical thing to remember, and something I didn't know for my first several cruises.  I'm sure there have been exceptions, but in virtually all cases of missing the ship, the crew will look in your cabin safe for your passport. I'm told that if the passport isn't there, they will sometimes do a cursory look around, but they will not dig through your belongings. So if you do choose to leave your passports onboard (which I do, for the record, unless specifically instructed otherwise), make sure they are in your safe!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

This last part is the critical thing to remember, and something I didn't know for my first several cruises.  I'm sure there have been exceptions, but in virtually all cases of missing the ship, the crew will look in your cabin safe for your passport. I'm told that if the passport isn't there, they will sometimes do a cursory look around, but they will not dig through your belongings. So if you do choose to leave your passports onboard (which I do, for the record, unless specifically instructed otherwise), make sure they are in your safe!

Absolutely true statement.  Have witnessed several times with missing pax and what the crew does.