Jade for Panama Canal - is Haven sun deck good point for views?

Posted (edited)

We booked cool Southern American itinerary on NCL Jade, starting in Miami, going through Panama canal to Calao (Lima) - in Feb-March of 2026.

Right now we are booked in Haven Penthouse. But as it is 12 nights, I would rather switch to less expensive non-Haven 2-bedroom family suite, as there is second bathroom there and more space for luggage etc. 

If it was not Panama Canal - I would have not even booked Haven on Jade. I do like to swim - laps - on the cruise as an exercise. So Jade's against-the-current pool in Haven courtyard still has some value for me. But that would be the only thing we might use Haven courtyard for. And the price difference Haven vs non-Haven is significant enough for me to skip the Haven on Jade - if it's just for the pool.

But I am thinking that Haven sun deck might be a good spot for viewing Panama Canal crossing? I am short, so crowds would be a problem for me at any viewing point. I just would not be able to see anything above other people's heads.  

I watched couple videos of Haven on Jade and similar ships, trying to figure out if the view from there worth considering. As the Haven sun deck is in the middle of the ship. But it might be still high enough to see back and forward. Is it?

I would really appreciate if somebody has an experience with that.

Thank you in advance!!! 

Edited by JoieNsk

• JoieNsk changed the title to Jade for Panama Canal - is Haven sun deck good point for views?

We were on the Jewel for Panama Canal cruise in March/2022.  It was the first sailing of the Jewel after the pandemic.  Being on the Haven, top deck, the viewing was pretty good.  My wife is short, and she also enjoyed the viewing.

Later on we also went to other decks, including just above where you can see the ground and tracks closer.    All were good.

If it's important for you to get good viewing and you don't mind paying Haven price, then why not.

(My wife and I were not in Haven room, but were invited to go up on the Haven deck for viewing of the Panama Canal crossing.  I think it was because I had organized a Meet & Greet, and the ship was only at 30% capacity.  Or maybe because we just made Platinum from the cruise prior.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Middleager said:

We were on the Jewel for Panama Canal cruise in March/2022.  It was the first sailing of the Jewel after the pandemic.  Being on the Haven, top deck, the viewing was pretty good.  My wife is short, and she also enjoyed the viewing.

Later on we also went to other decks, including just above where you can see the ground and tracks closer.    All were good.

If it's important for you to get good viewing and you don't mind paying Haven price, then why not.

Thank you SO MUCH!

I feel much better now. Because I did feel that I was probably wasting our money paying for this Haven room.

I do still mind paying the Haven price :)))

But at least we snagged the cheapest room in Haven 🙂

Edited by JoieNsk

Take the less cost room and add the Vibe Beach club.  The private area there on the Bliss this winter gave great views.  Several of us stood on the side of the hot tub when passing under the bridges.

We relaxed on the loungers, drink in hand, when going through the lake.

Although the canal crossing is great, it is still only 8 hours or so of a 16 day cruise.  The Vibe will be a great place to relax for the other 15 days as well.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Take the less cost room and add the Vibe Beach club.  The private area there on the Bliss this winter gave great views.  Several of us stood on the side of the hot tub when passing under the bridges.

Although the canal crossing is great, it is still only 8 hours or so of a 16 day cruise.  The Vibe will be a great place to relax for the other 15 days as well.

Thank you for the advice!

Do smaller ships have Vibe? I have to go through the deck plans, I guess - to see where it is.

It might be a great idea, if this Vibe Club is also on the higher deck!

7 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Where is Vibe on Jade and where do tickets get sold?

OP, the Haven area on Jewel Class ships not that great.  Pool is dinky.  That being said, for PC I'd stay there.  A full transit is a full day experience.  Upper area gives roughly 170 degree view from Port side.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Where is Vibe on Jade and where do tickets get sold?

I did go through the deck plans, and didn't see Vibe Club anywhere. 

Also I googled it, and according to Google - it seems like Jewel class ships don't have Vibe Club.

But of course, both Google and deck plans might not be accurate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

I did go through the deck plans, and didn't see Vibe Club anywhere. 

Also I googled it, and according to Google - it seems like Jewel class ships don't have Vibe Club.

But of course, both Google and deck plans might not be accurate.

Sorry, I was thinking Joy vs Jade.

You are correct that there is no Vibe on Jewel class.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dexddd said:

OP, the Haven area on Jewel Class ships not that great.  Pool is dinky.  That being said, for PC I'd stay there.  A full transit is a full day experience.  Upper area gives roughly 170 degree view from Port side.

Thank you very much! I feel even better now!

I know about no restaurant, no lounge etc.

The pool - like I mentioned - might still be of use to me, as I like to do my laps even on vacation, and this itinerary is going to have pretty many sea days - for me to make myself to go and exercise :))))). I read on this boards that those small pools on Jewel class - in Haven - have swim-against-the-current feature, which would be great for laps - if again this info is up-to-date.

Other than that - we don't usually spend time by the pool or in the hot tub. We did Mediterranean port intensive cruise on Epic, and we didn't use Haven courtyard at all - not even once.

Yes, I agree, I would not pay extra for the Haven on Jade - with the price difference on this particular itinerary - if not for the views from Haven deck!

Edited by JoieNsk

Posted (edited)

This site and these boards are just priceless!

Look what I found here, on Cruise Critics:

Panorama of the Haven Sundeck on NCL Jade!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise/norwegian-ncl/norwegian-jade/the-haven-sun-deck-393594/the-haven-sun-deck--v448215

There are many picture there too.

The views are great from there, even though it is just on one side - port side as it seems.

Edited by JoieNsk

Posted (edited)

One the NCL Jade deck plan there is another area in the front of the ship - which is also marked as Haven Sun deck. But it is not where all the Haven is.

I wonder if this is an error on NCL map, or there is one more area, exclusive to Haven guests?

Two Haven sun decks.jpg

Edited by JoieNsk

The one the bottom is the one with access from the courtyard. It is called Courtyard Villas Private Sundeck.

I think this is the panoramas I posted above are from this deck. 

If the in the one on the front is not an error, it is also going to be great place -  for front views. Even though it is small, and it is not completely on the front.