If You're Going to the Kimberley on Silversea

taxatty

One of the highlights of our excellent Silver Explorer Kimberley cruise last year was an up close (but not traversing) view of the spectacular Horizontal Falls. The Silversea zodiacs were not allowed to cross the falls, but on several occasions we got very close to them.  We did watch powered speedboats go through them several times, but this will now apparently be banned per this CNN article. The article also includes some pictures that show what it's like being close to the falls on a zodiac. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/horizontal-falls-australia-tourism-ban-intl-hnk/index.html

Interesting that this story has made international news, but probably because it is such a spectacular place and one of the highlights of Kimberley Expeditions. There had never been mention in the past about the area being a sacred site.  I’ve been through on a zodiac several times with Coral Expeditions, who are (or were!) licenced to transit.  Even just floating around outside the gap is great fun, and interesting.  It is so sad this natural wonder is no longer going to be appreciated in full.

Assuming that the indigenous people genuinely find crossing the falls to be disrespectful, I think we should not cross.   I'd be thrilled to look and enjoy it that way.   It also does sound dangerous if the boat gets pushed towards the rocks.   

I went to Ayers Rock when they allowed climbing and I'm sort of glad they don't allow it anymore.  That was too dangerous (I was surprised that people in regular shoes with no equipment could just run on up to the top - that just wasn't for me).   And I can see how the indigenous folks might find that to be disrespectful too.   I enjoyed viewing it and am satisfied with the ability to visit and look, but not climb.

I thought it was for safety reasons.

A report was made after a serious accident ( fortunately no fatalities) and several near misses and it was decided not to continue with this tour.

Because of the remoteness of the area there are no medical facilities and any recovery is difficult so it’s really too risky.

We have done it, but there was a nagging feeling that this could easily go pear shaped.

I might be wrong but this is what I read.

Posted (edited)

There have been two accidents over the years with the jet boats that have a contract at Horizontal Falls.  In the first gap there is a very large spur of rock jutting out at a right angle.  This is often under water, hence boat crews needing to be trained and licenced.  Nevertheless, the whirlpools can throw a boat with even the most capable driver off course.  Literally “throw”!  It’s a bumpy ride, especially when a full moon.  

@Joc123, the reason for closing is not because of the previous accident tipping some passengers into the water, even though it potentially could have been worse. It is because of indigenous reasons.

I hope expeditions still go for a close look.  So beautiful.

Edited by Port Power
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

We will be there in June, and I'll report back.

The announcement was awhile ago, but IIRC it was going to take quite a while to phase out.  Perhaps a year, or the end of this year?  I don’t remember exactly.

• Thanks 1