Piraeus Athens

Posted (edited)

We will be on Encore 5/12 out of Piraeus returning to same port.   Any suggestions to smooth out embarkation and disembarkation at that port.  This will be our 3rd SB cruise and looking forward to the week.  We have a 1145 am return flight to the states on the 19th.

Finally anyone know who the Cruise Director is on Encore if known.

thank you kindly in advance!

Edited by goodvino808

Sadly Piraeus is the worst port we have encountered recently. In the last 12 months have experienced it both with Seabourn and Silversea. The transfer is quite long and very disorganised. Once we waited over an hour at the airport for more guests. Both times the coach left as at the port some distance from the port side check in. No help, just get on with it. All I can say is keep calm and expect a long wait. It also seemed to affect the staff onboard as it took a while for them to hit the normal high standards.

Ideally arrange your own transfer by taxi to the airport, as your plane is earlyish.  And as early as you can manage.  There are reliable firms, someone  will chime in with a name, I am sure.

I imagine you will get a hotel for the ight before arrival, if using Seabourn for your flights, in which case transport to the ship is provided.  If you are booking it yourself, again a taxi from the centre of town to Piraeus, which is not too far.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Ideally arrange your own transfer by taxi to the airport, as your plane is earlyish.  And as early as you can manage.  There are reliable firms, someone  will chime in with a name, I am sure.

I imagine you will get a hotel for the ight before arrival, if using Seabourn for your flights, in which case transport to the ship is provided.  If you are booking it yourself, again a taxi from the centre of town to Piraeus, which is not too far.

Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, Sunday golf said:

Sadly Piraeus is the worst port we have encountered recently. In the last 12 months have experienced it both with Seabourn and Silversea. The transfer is quite long and very disorganised. Once we waited over an hour at the airport for more guests. Both times the coach left as at the port some distance from the port side check in. No help, just get on with it. All I can say is keep calm and expect a long wait. It also seemed to affect the staff onboard as it took a while for them to hit the normal high standards.

Appreciate the advice!

We have used Welcome Pickups several times to go to and from the Athens airport to Piraeus port. They provide an excellent service. 

Many people also recommend George’s taxi for Athens and Greece in general. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

We have used Welcome Pickups several times to go to and from the Athens airport to Piraeus port. They provide an excellent service. 

Many people also recommend George’s taxi for Athens and Greece in general. 

Great information thank you 

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

We have our transfer booked for 9:15am for a 13:20 flight. It's a good hour from Piraeus  to the airport - I'd definitely go for the private transfer 😁

Thank you!

• Like 1

We have also used Welcome Pickups several times from the airport to hotel and back to airport in Athens and other cities.  They cost about the same as a taxi and will be there waiting for you after you have your baggage.

• Like 2

Another vote for Welcome Pickups. We use them frequently. Last October we had a transfer arranged with them from Piraeus to the airport and got a message whilst we were eating breakfast that we could disembark earlier if we wished as our driver had arrived. We didn't want to do so, but it just reiterates how good their service is. They keep you informed at all times as to where they are.

• Like 2

11.45 is probably too early for an international departure.

We have embarked at Piraeus on several occasions and all have been pretty easy. If staying pre-cruise, I would advise getting an Uber and checking at which terminal your ship departs, as drivers, don’t always know.

5 hours ago, English Tim said:

11.45 is probably too early for an international departure.

We have embarked at Piraeus on several occasions and all have been pretty easy. If staying pre-cruise, I would advise getting an Uber and checking at which terminal your ship departs, as drivers, don’t always know.

Thanks!  Unfortunately, in true poor American form we don’t get enough holiday time away from work ;(

so we’re gonna have to roll the dice and hope for the best in making this flight but I do agree with you It’s earlier than I’d like.  

12 hours ago, goodvino808 said:

Thanks!  Unfortunately, in true poor American form we don’t get enough holiday time away from work ;(

so we’re gonna have to roll the dice and hope for the best in making this flight but I do agree with you It’s earlier than I’d like.  

Best chance is to keep your bags and walk off with them.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2024 at 8:06 PM, marazul said:

We have used https://www.georgestaxi.com/ many times over the years and we re very pleased with their service.

All: Another vote for George's Taxi. We used them in September for trips Airport to Hotel, then Hotel to Port. The drivers that we had were punctual and personable. For our return home trip (we booked our flights through FlightEase), as part of the FE included transfer, we arranged with SB to transfer us straight to the airport, where we spent the night at the Sofitel Airport Hotel before flying out the next day - definitely low stress.

Best, jdk

• Like 1

Random thoughts;

Agree that the port in Piraeus is intense - x100 if you are taking a ferry. But still navigable. That said, a few years ago our taxi driver took us on a tour of greater Piraeus- it is actually one of the most affluent and gorgeous areas around Athens. Fabulous (and expensive) water side restaurants and homes. Just not right by the port. 

And yes, the Sofitel at the airport is a fabulous oasis for a very comfortable rest either before or after an intense long haul flight. Very good value, too. 

• Like 1

FYI, Seabourn doesn't consider 11:45 too early for an international departure following disembarkation in Piraeus. We are booked through Flight Ease on an 11:45 flight back to the US on May 5, so Seabourn will be responsible for getting us to the airport on time and they wouldn't take a chance if they considered it too risky. I think Flight Ease automatically populated 11 am as the earliest flight time.

• Like 1

Cutoff time for our cruise disembarkation was definitely earlier than noon. We were originally booked on a flight that was scheduled to depart at 11:10, but when the airline changed it to something like 10:50, Seabourn/Flight Ease moved us to a different flight (departing at 11:45).

I was talking about flying before noon!  Disembarking; last time I was on board they hoped you would be off certainly before 10.

Anyone flying home from Athens before noon does need to be off the ship pretty early (yes, probably with your luggage having been kept) and with one of the recommended taxi firms.

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I was talking about flying before noon!

Yes, me too, so maybe I'm using the wrong terms. FlightEase automatically populates the earliest flight time the cruise line will allow for the flight time home following disembarkation. For our upcoming Encore cruise ending in Athens, we could choose flights departing 11 am or later. Originally booked on a flight departing at 11:10 but when Delta moved the departure up to 10:50 a few months ago, FlightEase moved us to a United flight at 11:45. (Actually they initially moved us to an American flight that wasn't a good choice for us, so we let them know we preferred the United flight.)

Anyway, at least for our cruise, Seabourn is operating under the assumption that passengers can make an 11:45 international flight home--and I'm sure they'll assign us an early transfer to the airport that morning. 

22 hours ago, Earthtones said:

Yes, me too, so maybe I'm using the wrong terms. FlightEase automatically populates the earliest flight time the cruise line will allow for the flight time home following disembarkation. For our upcoming Encore cruise ending in Athens, we could choose flights departing 11 am or later. Originally booked on a flight departing at 11:10 but when Delta moved the departure up to 10:50 a few months ago, FlightEase moved us to a United flight at 11:45. (Actually they initially moved us to an American flight that wasn't a good choice for us, so we let them know we preferred the United flight.)

Anyway, at least for our cruise, Seabourn is operating under the assumption that passengers can make an 11:45 international flight home--and I'm sure they'll assign us an early transfer to the airport that morning. 

Thank you…. I emailed Seabourn today about this directly.