Best way to see Vatican and Colosseum? Recommendations please?

KBrote

HI. I am asking this question on behalf of my brother and sister-in-law. They are not confident travels abroad and I have volunteered to get some info for them. They will be on Oceania's Riviera, stopping in Civitavecchia/Rome on Sept. 14. They are currently looking at two ship's excursions at $279 per person for a large group bus tour or $479 for a "small group" tour of max. 16 people. Last year my husband and I did a Greece/Turkey cruise with Oceania but only took one ship's tour as we prefer to arrange our own private tours. We used Tours By Locals and other local guides I found online. I hate for them to spend almost $500 per person for a bus tour. Both of these tours visit the Vatican but they say they will see the "exterior" of the Colosseum. When we went to Rome years ago I arranged a private van from the port and we saw everything in the Vatican as well as the inside of the Colosseum. Can anyone recommend a way to get the most out of their day on Rome? Any specific guides, companies, etc? Would you suggest they avoid the ship's tour? Any advice is welcome!

My husband and I booked a Vatican tour through the Vatican website. It went through all the grounds and the museum and ended in the Sistine Chapel. Maybe four hours?  We took a shuttle bus to the train station from the port and took the train into the City. Easy walk from the train station in Rome to St. Peter’s and then to the Vatican (Maps app on phone-easy.). Then took the train back. The shuttle bus was mobbed so we walked back to the port. 20 minutes?  Very inexpensive way to see the Vatican. The “official” tour was amazing. 

Someone else will have to chime in on how to work the Coliseum into the day. We had time for coffee and pastries in the morning as well as lunch. 

We had never been to Rome.  In fact, this was my first time in Europe and it was simple to figure out. I may never take a bus tour again. 

• Like 1

I can understand why it is difficult on a large bus to do both as a Vatican visit can be 5-6 hours if you do everything.  We visited Rome for a few days and had a 4pm Vatican tour, but even then had to meet at 3pm as it took an hour to walk to the ticket office and get through the ticket office 'quick' line!

That leaves little time to go inside the Colisseum which is also a couple of hours, more if you want to see all the levels.

A private tour will probably be the only way, signing up to the roll call may offer opportunity to join other passengers on smaller trips.

Thank you. I am hoping if they do a private tour they will have time. The ship is in port from 8:00am - 8:00pm. So if they can be in Rome from 10:00am - 4:00 or 5:00pm they should be able to work it out. Maybe they won't see everything at the Vatican and the Colosseum but will see some.

Posted (edited)

Any of the recommended private tour companies should be able to arrange this for them.  If they (or you in their stead) join the role call for their sailing and find another couple or two to join them they can dramatically reduce the cost, but even if they don't, the relatively small increase in cost-per-person for a private tour might be worth it to them to avoid the bus and group experience.  

Mornings at the Vatican museums are much worse than afternoons, so I would suggest they lay out their day with the Vatican at the end of the day.

Edited by euro cruiser

If time is not an issue, it is great to explore a new city on your own.

However, in this case, time is an issue.  I like the idea of a local, highly rated,  private guide that spends all day with you.  I have rarely regretted hiring a local guide in our travels.   They will know all of the small things... best walking route between sites, time of the day when lines are shortest, when to walk vs. taxi or subway, where the restrooms are....etc.   End result is a much more efficient day (not necessarily "hurried", but more efficient.) 

If this is the travelers only time in Rome, it would be money well spent.