Sun Princess and missed port Montenegro

cr2000

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, LME70 said:

I’ve been searching YouTube and forums but haven’t found out if the Sun actually made it to Kotor on 6 May. Does anyone know?

The Sun wasn't in Kotor on May 6. She was in Bar, Montenegro instead.

Edited by EDVM96

8 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

The Sun wasn't in Kotor on May 6. She was in Bar, Montenegro instead.

Thanks. Oh well ☹️ I won’t plan to meet my friends in Kotor - they just happened to be there on the same day we were due in July

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, LME70 said:

Thanks. Oh well ☹️ I won’t plan to meet my friends in Kotor - they just happened to be there on the same day we were due in July

You can get to Kotor from Bar.

With Princess, it's a 2 hour motorcoach drive each way + 4 hours in Kotor on your own:

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/bar-montenegro-excursions/kotor-on-your-own

Edited by EDVM96

Sun Princess has been removed from the Port of Kotor port schedule for the rest of the summer.  

So while Princess has already updated the May/June Itineraries to show Bar instead of Kotor, expect the July-Sept sailings to reflect Bar later.  Probably after final payment is due for those cruises.  My guess is maybe in a week (Aug sailing payment due) to a month (Sept sailing) or so.

A representative involved in Port logistics for Montenegro has already stated that Sun Princess will have 8 sailings to Bar this year which coincides with the April-September number of times that Sun Princess was due in Kotor.  

I'm not sure it is due to the size of Sun Princess vs something economic related on the Montenegro side (ie spread tourism across more ports in Montenegro).  Those in the public won't know unless either authorities in Princess or Montenegro say something.  

But all signs are pointing to Bar right now for the rest of the year for Sun Princess.

1 hour ago, phuac said:

Sun Princess has been removed from the Port of Kotor port schedule for the rest of the summer.  

So while Princess has already updated the May/June Itineraries to show Bar instead of Kotor, expect the July-Sept sailings to reflect Bar later.  Probably after final payment is due for those cruises.  My guess is maybe in a week (Aug sailing payment due) to a month (Sept sailing) or so.

A representative involved in Port logistics for Montenegro has already stated that Sun Princess will have 8 sailings to Bar this year which coincides with the April-September number of times that Sun Princess was due in Kotor.  

I'm not sure it is due to the size of Sun Princess vs something economic related on the Montenegro side (ie spread tourism across more ports in Montenegro).  Those in the public won't know unless either authorities in Princess or Montenegro say something.  

But all signs are pointing to Bar right now for the rest of the year for Sun Princess.

And someone laughed at me when I suggested this was an intentional decision not to alert customers until AFTER final payment was due. They are essentially false advertising itineraries to keep bookings/revenue. Absolutely shameful, someone ought to be fired - both for miscalculating Sun Princess ability to ever enter Kotor and then also for perpetuating a lie to customers about intended stops (which they know are cancelled).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cr2000 said:

And someone laughed at me when I suggested this was an intentional decision not to alert customers until AFTER final payment was due. They are essentially false advertising itineraries to keep bookings/revenue. Absolutely shameful, someone ought to be fired - both for miscalculating Sun Princess ability to ever enter Kotor and then also for perpetuating a lie to customers about intended stops (which they know are cancelled).

I'm just guessing that they'll update after the final payment deadline. But seems like it's trending that way.  Port of Adria shows that the Sun Princess' agent is Boka Adriatic.  

Ships list | portofadria

A rep from Boka Adriatic was quoted in an article saying that the Sun Princess will be in Bar 8 times this summer.  Then with the Port of Kotor removing Sun Princess from their schedule... this is all adding up to them remaining itinerary that shows Kotor will change to Bar.

Whether or not Princess is intentionally withholding information... I don't know.  Maybe all the signs above are wrong and the remaining schedule will actually keep Kotor.  Doesn't feel like it, but nothing seems to be definitive yet.  

Here’s my follow-up :

we ended up docking in Bar, Montenegro May 6. Bar is no Kotor based on what I’ve heard/read HOWEVER, Stari Bar does have a unique charm. There are actually 2 towns Bar ( the new town) and Stari Bar (old town).

The dock is a 5min bus ride to a drop off spot with vendors, information and taxis waiting mainly for those wishing to go to Stari Bar which is a 15min ride 15€-20€ (negotiable) not walkable.

Stai Bar is a step back to earlier times with a cobble stone Main Street lined with shops and some tavernas. Since tourism hasn’t been a main source of revenue in Stari Bar you will find reasonable prices (2.5€ for a beer delicious pizza 8€) and friendly people that appreciate visitors.

Bar is a “more modern” working class town just minutes from the bus drop off. These you will find pop up vendors and some shops and taverns ( we actually didn’t spend time in Bar and elected to spend our day in Stari Bar.

In the end though we were disappointed in missing Kotor, we enjoyed the lack of tourist crowds and the feel of Stari Bar not to mention the good prices.

mike

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2024 at 9:25 PM, mikemonster said:

Here’s my follow-up :

we ended up docking in Bar, Montenegro May 6. Bar is no Kotor based on what I’ve heard/read HOWEVER, Stari Bar does have a unique charm. There are actually 2 towns Bar ( the new town) and Stari Bar (old town).

The dock is a 5min bus ride to a drop off spot with vendors, information and taxis waiting mainly for those wishing to go to Stari Bar which is a 15min ride 15€-20€ (negotiable) not walkable.

Stai Bar is a step back to earlier times with a cobble stone Main Street lined with shops and some tavernas. Since tourism hasn’t been a main source of revenue in Stari Bar you will find reasonable prices (2.5€ for a beer delicious pizza 8€) and friendly people that appreciate visitors.

Bar is a “more modern” working class town just minutes from the bus drop off. These you will find pop up vendors and some shops and taverns ( we actually didn’t spend time in Bar and elected to spend our day in Stari Bar.

In the end though we were disappointed in missing Kotor, we enjoyed the lack of tourist crowds and the feel of Stari Bar not to mention the good prices.

mike

Thanks for your detailed report. Was it easy to get a taxi back to the cruise port from Stari Bar?

Jonathan 

Yes getting taxis was easy they line up at the ships drop off and in Stari Bar at the point they drop you off which is the end/beginning of the “Main Street which is pedestrian only.

Negotiate your fare with the driver and have that exact payment cash out and show the driver just to be clear. They ask for 20e but you can offer 15e for ride. This is NOT a per person ride it’s for however many you have in your party.

enjoy

mike, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikemonster said:

Yes getting taxis was easy they line up at the ships drop off and in Stari Bar at the point they drop you off which is the end/beginning of the “Main Street which is pedestrian only.

Negotiate your fare with the driver and have that exact payment cash out and show the driver just to be clear. They ask for 20e but you can offer 15e for ride. This is NOT a per person ride it’s for however many you have in your party.

enjoy

mike, 

Thank you very much for the fast response Mike.

Happy Cruising.

Jonathan