Renting a Car in San Diego

tarheelmjfan

We just sailed out of San Diego in February and I don't believe anyone rents car at the pier itself. However, you are literally only about five minutes from the airport where you can rent them. We stayed at the Holiday Inn directly across from the pier (we actually walked across the street with our luggage). We took the Holiday Inn van from and to the airport (we actually had rented a car when we arrived to do some business visits and then took the car back to the airport the day before we boarded the ship).

This was by far the easiest port/hotel/airport package we've seen.

You could also check with the Holiday Inn on the Bay and ask if they have a car rental service but I don't recall seeing one.

Have a great time!

Thanks to both of your for the info. :) I'll check out Avis.

I probably should have provided more info. We're arriving a couple days early & staying at the Marriott Hotel & Marina. We don't plan to rent a car for those days. We're wanting to rent a car the day we disembark the ship, because our flight doesn't leave until very late & we need somewhere to store our luggage. Thanks again

I just reserved a car for our pre-cruise stay in San Diego with Hertz.com.

Tha address it gives is San Diego cruise ship terminal.

We will pick it up on Thursday pm upon our arrival. (We are staying at Hampton Inn close by). We then plan to drop it off Monday before the cruise.

I am not really sure how it works, from the way it reads you get the car at the airport.

They probably just have a rental booth at the port and posibbly a shuttle??

We will find out soon.

hello,

I have rented two times from Avis before and after cruises, and this has worked out very well both times. And we will be renting from Avis a third time on 3/27, prior to and after the Mercury cruise to Mexico.

Avis has an office at 1670 Kettner Boulevard, which is about a 15 minute ride by shuttle bus from the San Diego cruise ship terminal. Avis will take you to the terminal and will pick you up after the cruise. The advantage of the Kettner office is that it isn't within the San Diego airport, and this means a much faster in and out of the office and on the road.

Please double check the address as car rental companies are known to open and close office frequently.

Hope this works for someone out there.

QUOTE"I am not really sure how it works, from the way it reads you get the car at the airport.

They probably just have a rental booth at the port and posibbly a shuttle??" QUOTE

I misread the information. The shuttle is from the airport to the cruise port , not the other way around.

So , we will be renting our car from Hertz at the cruise ship terminal,1140 North Harbor Drive.

Archived