Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi

abo

Hi,

Our cruise visits Sorrento in early July and I was looking at independent travel arrangements to Positano and Amalfi.  One option I am looking at is the ferries that go from Sorrento to Positano, then from Positano to Amalfi and finally a return from Amalfi to Sorrento.  Does anyone have any experience of doing all, or some of these trips?  Does this seem a reasonable schedule for the day?  We are scheduled to be in port from 8am - 6pm so I was thinking about a ferry leaving around 9:00/9:30am, and booking the return to be back in port by 4:30.  It is a Sunday we will be there if that makes any difference.

Many thanks for any tips anyone can share.

As an alternative catch the local bus.  Bus station is next to the railway station in Sorrento, tickets are cheap and its great fun.

First part is cross country over the headland, you then hit the coast road down into Positano, then on to Amalfi.  The full trip takes about 90 minutes.

https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/sorrento-to-positano-bus-schedule

Be aware, however, that the bus is wildly oversubscribed.  Even in the off season it is imperative to be at the bus stop well before boarding time and be prepared for a bit of a scrum once the bus arrives and the door opens.

You absolutely should NOT count on the bus for the return to Sorrento, due to the overcrowding it often does not take on passengers at intermediate stops (the run is Sorrento-Amalfi and Amalfi-Sorrento).  To be on the safe side you would need to be at the bus stop at least two buses before the last one that would get you back on time, wasting most of your afternoon.

• Like 2

I would take the ferry or a boat tour for this. You get absolutely fantastic views of the cliff-perched houses and towns, whereas the roads are busy and wind around interminable corners - not good for anyone with even a little bit of fear or travel sickness! 

We did a very good tour from Nerano. Picked up in Sorrento by minibus, then small boat along the coast, and bus back to Sorrento. https://www.getyourguide.com/sorrento-l391/amalfi-and-positano-full-day-shared-tour-t284922/?ranking_uuid=3da20b79-55a5-41f0-a2f2-06d475c34b3c