Excursions

How far in advance do NCL excursions show up in the planner?  I am only seeing 9 excursions listed for my Panama Canal cruise in January.

There is one excursion we want to do that is only available via NCL.  Otherwise, we usually choose independent excursions.  I am just surprised excursions are not available to book yet since they could lose business to independent excursions.

Thanks!

Brad

When excursions get posted can vary. Usually they appear when NCL has signed a valid contract with the excursion host company. That could mean a year or two in advance, or maybe just a month. Keep checking.

You can go here to see excursions by port:

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions

Just be aware that not all excursions listed there may be offered on your specific cruise. There may even be more on your cruise than what shows up at that link.

On 4/8/2024 at 3:03 PM, ihopfar said:

There is one excursion we want to do that is only available via NCL.

That seems a bit strange. Which excursion? NCL just contracts with local tour companies. I've never heard of an "exclusive" excursion contract.

18 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That seems a bit strange. Which excursion? NCL just contracts with local tour companies. I've never heard of an "exclusive" excursion contract.

It is an excursion from Gatum lake on a partial transit Panana Canal cruise.  It is my understanding that is only doable via the cruise line, base on logistics. 

Even in other ports, there are times when the cruise line contracts for the whole tour and the local company is not able to offer it to cruisers directly.

I am just surprised there are not more tours offered in all of the ports on this cruise.  It is not the first Panama Canal cruise of the season, so the contracts should be worked out by now!

Anyone on a Panama Canal cruise in November/December -- are your excursions available to book?

49 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

It is an excursion from Gatum lake on a partial transit Panana Canal cruise.  It is my understanding that is only doable via the cruise line, base on logistics. 

Even in other ports, there are times when the cruise line contracts for the whole tour and the local company is not able to offer it to cruisers directly.

We took the Gatun tour the last time we sailed with NCL to Panama.  It allowed us a couple of hours in the information center that overlooks the locks.  That was very informative.  The train trip across the isthmus was a lot of fun.  The bus ride back was a bit of a yawner, but overall it was a day well spent. 

On an Alaskan cruise several years ago, we wanted to ride the White Pass & Yukon Railway in Skagway.  NCL offered a trip which was exclusive to NCL, but it was powered by Diesel locomotives.  We wanted to ride behind the steam engine.  HAL had a ship in port the same day as us and they had chartered both a Diesel powered excursion and the steam train for their guests.  Fortunately, the steam train excursion, which cost a bit more, was not fully booked by HAL, so we were able to purchase tickets directly from the WP&Y office and join the HAL passengers.  Well, not exactly join their guests.  We were like the red-headed stepchildren.  They had five first class coaches with all-you-can-consume snacks and spirits included.  We rode in a separate car where snacks and beverages were available for purchase.  Our car, however, was placed right behind the locomotive, so we got a much more entertaining ride, being so close to the sounds of the engine as it strained to climb the hill.