FLAM TRAIN RIDE VS AMAZING NATURE VIEWS ON THE FAMOUS FLAM RAILWAY?

We will be in FLAM on May 2nd from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM onboard the MSC Euribia.  

We are trying to decide if we should book the FLAM TRAIN RIDE (2 Hours - $68 PP) directly or keep this excursion that we have booked with cruise line,  AMAZING NATURE VIEWS ON THE FAMOUS FLAM RAILWAY (6 Hours + Lunch - $226 PP).  The 2nd excursion includes a ride on the Flam Train plus other transportation and stops.  Below is the itinerary.   

I’d really appreciate your feedback.  

AMAZING NATURE VIEWS ON THE FAMOUS FLAM RAILWAY ITINERARY: 
This is the description of this excursion: Once you are ready for the steep roads and mountain tunnels of this region, you can sit back and enjoy the ride through spectacular countryside. Leaving the port of Flåm, we will traverse a long tunnel that takes us to Gudvangen, and the coach will climb through the steep, narrow Nærøy valley. We will stop at the Tvindefossen waterfalls, a twin cascade of two fabulous falls. The excursion continues to the town of Voss, prettily located on the Vangvatnet Lake. We will board a train to continue our outing across a range of stunning natural landscapes, before reaching Myrdal. Here, at 867 metres above sea level, we will change trains and continue down the breathtaking Flåm valley, travelling on the world famous Flåm Line. The train will pass by Kjosfossen waterfall to allow passengers enjoy the lovely view before terminating at Flåm station, on the Sognefjord, from where we can walk back to the ship. Lunch included.

The tour you have quoted was once called 'Norway in a Nutshell' a and it's the trip we did in about 2010.

This may be a contentious opinion but the poorest part of the whole day for me was actually the Flam railway!  The coach drive through tunnels, along valleys and alongside the fjord was far more interesting.  Voss is not a particularly attractive place, being quite modern, but it is a main centre for outdoor pursuits.

Its built on the edge of a lake and on our visit there was barely a cloud in the sky, lots of paragliders, even had a floatplane land on the water.  The buffet lunch in a local hotel was brilliant.  Had we paid it would have been about $80, so probably nearer $100 now (hence the price of the trip).

The train from Voss climbs up the valley side to Myrdal before you change trains for the descent into Flam on the railway,  a lot of which is in tunnels and avalanche shelters which reduces its impact.

On our visit the trip ran in both directions, so some did the Flam and Voss trains first before lunch and then returned on the coach.

The day is expensive, but with a $100 (ish) cost of lunch it is well worth doing as you see so much more than the Flam railway in both directions,

4 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

The tour you have quoted was once called 'Norway in a Nutshell'

Norway in a Nutshell includes the boat cruise from Flåm to Gudvangen through the Nærøyfjord. If the excursion by bus used the name before, it’s likely they were violating the trademark which could explain the name change.

I would definitely choose the Nutshell route over the roundtrip train, but I would NOT pay that price to take a bus to Gudvangen. The Nærøyfjord is one of the two UNESCO-listed fjords and is too narrow for most large cruise ships to navigate. You can book the ferry-bus-train-train combination as a roundtrip from Flåm via the official Fjord Tours website: https://www.norwaynutshell.com/original-tour/ A quick test search shows the price around 1600 NOK ($160 USD) per person.

500 NOK/person for lunch would be on the higher end of average if it includes an alcoholic beverage. We usually spend around 200-350 pp before drinks.

• Like 1

As for the rail trips themselves, the draw of the Flåmsbana is the engineering and the elevation change. Very early/late in the season, you can notice the difference in climate between the bottom and the top. The scenery is pretty, but you’ll mostly be looking at hills and valleys when the view is clear, since the valley curves immediately behind a hill and the fjord itself is out of sight shortly after leaving the station. The stop at the waterfall includes a brief musical performance, which is cute.

The route between Myrdal and Voss is up on the plateau above the tree line and covers part of the highest section of the Oslo-Bergen rail line. It’s a very different kind of scenery from most you’ll see on a Norwegian fjords sailing, with more in common with the Arctic ports than the port areas that far south. In the first half of the summer, it’s not uncommon to see some remaining snow in the more shadowed areas (we were actually skiing near this area last May).

While I think the high-elevation section is interesting, I personally wouldn’t pay $200 extra for it, even if it included lunch. I do think the cheaper independent Nutshell is worth the extra cost, since it includes the fjord cruise as well. Otherwise, my choice would be to do the rail-and-bike combination or to pair the roundtrip Flåmsbana with a visit to one of the scenic fjord viewpoints.

57 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

Norway in a Nutshell includes the boat cruise from Flåm to Gudvangen through the Nærøyfjord. If the excursion by bus used the name before, it’s likely they were violating the trademark which could explain the name change.

I would definitely choose the Nutshell route over the roundtrip train, but I would NOT pay that price to take a bus to Gudvangen. The Nærøyfjord is one of the two UNESCO-listed fjords and is too narrow for most large cruise ships to navigate. You can book the ferry-bus-train-train combination as a roundtrip from Flåm via the official Fjord Tours website: https://www.norwaynutshell.com/original-tour/ A quick test search shows the price around 1600 NOK ($160 USD) per person.

500 NOK/person for lunch would be on the higher end of average if it includes an alcoholic beverage. We usually spend around 200-350 pp before drinks.

I would love to take the Nutshell route but it doesn’t get us back until 5:10 PM and the ship leaves at 6:00 PM.  That would be too close for comfort.   

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

The nutshell route will not work because of the timing.  MSC also has the excursion listed below available.  Does this one sound better than the Amazing Nature Views On the Famous Railway?    However, I probably would not be able to do this excursion and the Flam roundtrip railroad excursion.  And if I book the Flam railroad through the cruise line they charge way to much, $179 pp.  

image.thumb.png.8ba5bc4050fbe9cdd1d6c021659c8c44.png

If you don’t have time to see the whole route, then I’d choose based on your own interests. You will have plenty of fjord sailing on the way in and out if Flåm, though it’s not as dramatic as Nærøyfjord, and many people are satisfied with that. The Flåmsbana is popular as it’s a change from a lot of the other fjord activities, and it does include some nice views of the valley and is an interesting feat of engineering.

If the normal Nutshell route doesn’t fit the port timing, the MSC excursion sounds like a fair alternative. But if you’re looking to save money and would be happy spending your remaining time exploring the small town of Flåm, you’ll probably be happy enough doing just the roundtrip on the Flåmsbana.

I am SO stuck!!!!!

Perhaps someone can weigh in on their experience?

In Flam we have this tour booked (July - Celebrity) 

Destination Highlight: Fjord, Valley and Mountain by Land and Sea

Discover the beauty and wonder of Norway's one-of-a-kind fjords over water and land; later, relax and enjoy refreshments in the comfort of a mountain hotel. A fjord is any deep-cut glacial valley, often featuring steep mountain slopes or cliffs. You'll take a cruise through the Aurlandsfjord and into the Naeroydalen, which was recognized in 2005 by UNESCO for its wondrous beauty and geological treasures. Your boat will take you past steep mountainsides, beautiful waterfalls, and narrow fjord passages. You'll arrive at the breathtaking Gudvangen, which means playground of the gods. Here, you'll board your coach for a thrilling ride along Naeroy Valley's steep curving mountain road. Your coach will negotiate 13 heart-pounding curves, passing through tunnels and beside waterfalls. Stop for refreshments at Stalheim Hotel, where you'll enjoy unparalleled views of the valley below. Return along a winding road through the Naeroy Valley floor, passing through two, long, exhilarating tunnels.

Highlights

• Enjoy a relaxing sail into the Naeroyfjord–a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site–traveling past waterfalls and thrilling mountain precipices.
  • Journey up narrow mountain roads, beside spectacular waterfalls and steep mountainsides, as you drive into the dramatic Naeroydalen Valley.
  • Savor coffee, tea, and a pastry while enjoying stunning mountain views at the relaxing and beautiful Stalheim Hotel.

We also have a boat cruise in Stavanger - Lysefjord cruise this sailing 

Do we stick with what we have above in Flam or switch to the FLAM railway to Myrdal return?

I am reading mixed reviews on the train ...

THANK YOU!

@Karen Lynn If I read correctly, this excursion is only the Nærøyfjord cruise and then a bus up to Stalheim and back to Flåm? If you’re doing a small boat cruise in Lysefjord as well, I would lean towards the Flåmsbana for the variety. The train isn’t bad at all. It just doesn’t offer the kind of beautiful views and fjord scenery that some people expect.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

@Karen Lynn If I read correctly, this excursion is only the Nærøyfjord cruise and then a bus up to Stalheim and back to Flåm? If you’re doing a small boat cruise in Lysefjord as well, I would lean towards the Flåmsbana for the variety. The train isn’t bad at all. It just doesn’t offer the kind of beautiful views and fjord scenery that some people expect.

Ok my thanks , I appreciate that !