Cruising with autistic 4 year old

pedirn

We will be cruising on Celebrity’s Reflection in September to celebrate our 50th anniversary.    We are very fortunate that all our children and grandchildren are able to join us.   Our youngest grandson is on the autism spectrum.  He usually does very well but is sensitive to loud noises and doesn’t always do well in organized activities.   This 4 day cruise was selected as his moms were not sure how he would do on a cruise.   Can anyone who has traveled with autistic child give us advice to make things go easier.   TIA

Someone else may jump in here with more specific information, but I can offer a little based on my experience cruising with a special needs child (intellectual disability).  Cruise lines are VERY in tune with making things easier for kids (and adults) with special needs.  On our last cruise there were at least six families with kids on the spectrum.  If you contact the special services department of your cruise line you can find out how to arrange to do the life drill in a quieter way (though on our last cruise on Princess it was all done in our cabin); give the kids club a heads up that he's coming (they used to let my daughter age down a group if she would be more comfortable), arrange dining room table in a corner, etc.  Also check out Autism at Sea for further tips/info.    

I've not sailed Celebrity yet, but all the ships I sailed had an open house in the kids club on the first night.  Go to the kids club open house with the child so the parent can stay with the child and help them get acclimated to the kids club.  Request a phone in advance through the special needs department or during the open house because they are usually limited.  Tell the kids club staff that you want them to call immediately if the child wants to leave (they may normally do this for children with disabilities - I don't know.  I've seen them delay calling for neurotypical children because they try to distract them and keep them longer because some parents don't want to be disturbed.  If they know you'll come right away and not be mad at them, they'll call you right away.)

Also, for some kids with autism food is a huge issue.  Depending on the child's level of sensitivity you might want to bring sealed food onboard for them so they always have snacks they can eat on the ship and during tours.

I've also found that if you can afford them private tours for just my family are best with children, since you can control the itinerary and stay longer when they're happy and give them breaks when they need them (this is less important if you are just going to a beach and more important if you are visiting Europe and going to museums.

We take noise control headphones/earmuffs for when the cruise is leaving port.  The horn they blow can be loud, but we also enjoy being outside for it.  My food limiting child has always been able to find options at both the buffet and main dining.  At main dining he will sometimes order from the adult menu with some modifications and often orders from the child's menu.  They are more than willing to leave off sauces, etc, as needed for him.  Buffet always has burgers, hot dogs, fries, etc that are always a good stand by for him. 

I encourage each of my boys to try kids club at least once while on board.  My oldest, who is diagnosed as on the spectrum, has loved it and asked to go back.  My youngest, who hasn't been diagnosed but wouldn't surprise me with his food aversions, noise sensitivity, etc, will argue about going.  But, he will generally agree to go once and try it.  So far, he has never really taken to it and I haven't forced him to return.  I figure that vacation is supposed to be relaxing for all of us.  If I force him into the club I may get more time to relax, but he will be miserable.  That isn't really fair to him as this is his vacation as well.

My kids have always found enough activities on board that they enjoy.  And kids club has always been great with them on their cruises.  We have only cruised Royal Caribbean, but Celebrity is under the same company and I would imagine the people on board there will be just as good.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the advice.   Our daughter is contacting the special needs department regarding grandson’s restrictions.   Not sure how the kids club will work but he is used to being in school daily (special needs program for preschoolers at local elementary school) and daycare after school.   Thanks for idea regarding headphones.  I hadn’t thought of that but I am sure daughter has as she mentioned his tablet at dinner.   He usually uses headphones with tablet.   The one thing we are not worried about is food as he is an adventurous eater who will eat or try just about anything.  We hadn’t consider life boat drill might be overwhelming for him…I will have to find out how Celebrity conducts theirs.

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 2:34 PM, pedirn said:

Can anyone who has traveled with autistic child give us advice to make things go easier.

my kid is NT, but does not do kid's club. Never did. He dislikes playing with kids he doesn't know.... He started sailing 2 months short of 4 yo and at that age he had a very strong separation and stranger anxiety. So, he always tagged along and still tags along to everything with us.

At MDR dinners he always watched cartoons/movies on his tablet (with headphones) between 3 and 10 years of age. That kept him busy and content while we could have a very nice dinner without a whining, bored to tears child.

image.thumb.jpeg.71dc8c662e2fb3d2961663a3fc30e522.jpeg

kid's menu on Reflection (but since the kid is an adventurous eater, he can order off of adult menu):

image.thumb.jpeg.f6211bbc26499dd227b415445a05e796.jpeg

You can click on the link to Reflection review in my signature for more cabin and food pics, and the dailies. Also includes pics of the food my kid ate and his opinions. On cruises he leans heavily towards pastas, but did also enjoy burgers and grilled cheese. He only has slight problems with texture. He also ordered a caesar salad and fruit salads a lot.

The buffet had a kid's corner with the typical American kid's fare. Other than that, the food was varied and very good. Pizza at the buffet was great as well, and the chef told me he could make whatever I wanted as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.79a5770523bb31abfdbb9d46ff056583.jpeg

We always bring a stuffed animal for him to sleep with.

Oh, and a night light. When DS was young, it helped check on him at night. Now I need it more for myself for night blindness. However, Reflection has built-in bathroom night lights, so mom should bring one for the cabin itself if needed.

image.thumb.jpeg.fad2607b5559ab924b3c544a185aea4b.jpeg

The muster drill on Reflection involved watching a video on the app and then scanning your cruise cards at your muster station at any time before sailing. Nothing overwhelming for anyone.

Reflection is a smaller ship. The noisy areas are the pool area (not always, but they play loud music a lot), and the grand foyer area on deck 3 which carries the noise up several decks. Not overwhelmingly so.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 4/26/2024 at 4:45 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

my kid is NT, but does not do kid's club. Never did. He dislikes playing with kids he doesn't know.... He started sailing 2 months short of 4 yo and at that age he had a very strong separation and stranger anxiety. So, he always tagged along and still tags along to everything with us.

At MDR dinners he always watched cartoons/movies on his tablet (with headphones) between 3 and 10 years of age. That kept him busy and content while we could have a very nice dinner without a whining, bored to tears child.

image.thumb.jpeg.71dc8c662e2fb3d2961663a3fc30e522.jpeg

kid's menu on Reflection (but since the kid is an adventurous eater, he can order off of adult menu):

image.thumb.jpeg.f6211bbc26499dd227b415445a05e796.jpeg

You can click on the link to Reflection review in my signature for more cabin and food pics, and the dailies. Also includes pics of the food my kid ate and his opinions. On cruises he leans heavily towards pastas, but did also enjoy burgers and grilled cheese. He only has slight problems with texture. He also ordered a caesar salad and fruit salads a lot.

The buffet had a kid's corner with the typical American kid's fare. Other than that, the food was varied and very good. Pizza at the buffet was great as well, and the chef told me he could make whatever I wanted as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.79a5770523bb31abfdbb9d46ff056583.jpeg

We always bring a stuffed animal for him to sleep with.

Oh, and a night light. When DS was young, it helped check on him at night. Now I need it more for myself for night blindness. However, Reflection has built-in bathroom night lights, so mom should bring one for the cabin itself if needed.

image.thumb.jpeg.fad2607b5559ab924b3c544a185aea4b.jpeg

The muster drill on Reflection involved watching a video on the app and then scanning your cruise cards at your muster station at any time before sailing. Nothing overwhelming for anyone.

Reflection is a smaller ship. The noisy areas are the pool area (not always, but they play loud music a lot), and the grand foyer area on deck 3 which carries the noise up several decks. Not overwhelmingly so.

• Thank you for your insight.   We hadn’t thought about a nightlight.   Will definitely add it to the list.   A shame the pool are can be loud at times as swimming is a favorite pastime of his.   We will just have to play it by ear on what is appropriate for him and how he reacts.   As well as the autism he has a serious vision problem which require him to be close to things to see them clearly which will probably rule out any shows or activities that rely on visual acuity.  

42 minutes ago, pedirn said:

A shame the pool are can be loud at times as swimming is a favorite pastime of his.

it wasn't always awful, though, even when the band was playing. We have been on other cruises where being on the pool deck was unbearable when music was playing very loudly. This wasn't this bad.

Oh, and don't forget - they have family nights at the Sanctuary. It's very quiet  - children are usually not allowed during the day, but some evenings (not a popular choice so close to dinner) are designated as family hours. It's a covered pool + hot tub.