Monteverde & Arenal tour experience?

We are on the 7 day Puerto Caldera to Colon cruise departing 12/7/2024. Windstar is offering a 4 day pre-cruise extension upgrade which includes among other things, tours & experiences in the Monterverde Cloud Forest and Arenal Volcano areas. It is a bit of an investment so was hoping to find out if anyone has done this and if you thought it was worth the expense. Or should we attempt to DIY? Think I could arrange some of it myself, but probably not in its entirety. My TA has said that the included hotels are nice. All meals are included, except the day you fly in. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. 

Windstar Cruise tour itinerary.pdf

We DIYed Arenal after a similar cruise on Azamara that ended in Puerto Caldera.  It was great, and we didn't feel a need for the hand-holding of a package tour.  Details are in my blog:  jazzbeauxcostaricacruise2018.wordpress.com

Such an approach can easily be tailored to suit your needs, starting with pick-up at SJO and ending at the ship in Puerto Caldera.  But the Azamara tour also looks very good and includes all the things you would want on an introduction to Costa Rica.  If we had had that option we probably would have taken it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 4:39 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

We DIYed Arenal after a similar cruise on Azamara that ended in Puerto Caldera.  It was great, and we didn't feel a need for the hand-holding of a package tour.  Details are in my blog:  jazzbeauxcostaricacruise2018.wordpress.com

Such an approach can easily be tailored to suit your needs, starting with pick-up at SJO and ending at the ship in Puerto Caldera.  But the Azamara tour also looks very good and includes all the things you would want on an introduction to Costa Rica.  If we had had that option we probably would have taken it.

Thanks so much for your input and the link. At most we will only be able to extend this trip by the 4 days included in the package, maybe only 3 if we DIY. And the first day will most likely just be traveling to SJ. The package is $4600 for both of us. I have looked a bit at prices of a few independent providers for Monteverde full day tours ranging from ~$750 to ~$900. Could be a more personalized experience. I would hope that the Windstar experience would not be far off and with small groups.