Is Panama City Safe?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1-way Panama City to Ft Lauderdale cruise for 2025.  We generally fly in the day before the cruise, so we'd be staying 1 night in Panama City.

I really don't know anything about the political/criminal climate there.. Are we safe there if we're just planning on airport to hotel, dinner close, then bed and off to port.. 

Posted (edited)

Airport, hotel, dinner, bed and to the port is just fine for Panama City.  However, dinner close depending on the location of the hotel could be bit more of a challenge.  You could choose a hotel that has a restaurant, but so often they are only ho-hum and a wee overpriced.  One hotel that is handy for the port is the Radisson in Ft. Amador.  Several years ago when I stayed there (it was a Country Inn Suites then), a T.G.I. Fridays was attached to the hotel.  Now I am not necessarily recommending to travel all the way to Panama and go dine at TGI Fridays, there are some local eateries a short cab ride away that are located towards the end of the Causeway and near the cruise terminal, about 5 miles away.  The hotel could easily help with the cab and there are some great views of the City.

Over all Panama City is fairly safe, but just as any other big city the areas can change flavor rapidly often times with out any visual clues.  Any of the major hotel brands would be fine.

Edited by BillB48
The Cat did a horrible job proofreading
  • Like 1