Review: Celebrity Flora 04/07/24 - 04/14/24 : Galapagos Outer Loop

Fedic

Although we are not on the Flora till next June, I hopefully can answer your hiking poles . I heard the Flora uses wooden hiking sticks & not poles. I would never use them. I have extensive hiking experience & routinely use two hiking poles with a good rubber tip for each pole. A stick does not have that. Hiking poles need to be used as follows: short uphill,  long downhill. You can only get that with poles that can be accustomed to your height- all good hiking poles do that. We are heading off to GSMNP  in 2 weeks as we hike there around 4 weeks year. We were also in the black hills of SD in june. I bring all my own hiking poles. I would never use someone else's. Please note these must be checked & cannot be carried onboard.  Please also look at wanderlust clothes. I used the pants for our celebrity July cruise to Bermuda & was very happy with them. They didn't have the tops then or I would have bought them bur plan to get them for our Galapagos trip next June. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Go to REI as they have lots of hiking poles. Personally I like the nonplastic poles as I find the plastic grips get sweaty when hiking in hot summer weather. I have the plastic ones though & still use them. I bought them going to machu pichu when the airlines lost all our bags for 5 days. I was skeptical these ones would work as they were so much cheaper but now years later I still have them & prefer them. Get extra rubber tips though. I'll be using those poles again in less than 2 weeks again in the great smokey mts natl park. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, London Gal said:

Thank you for the update and clarification on Flora’s walking sticks.

Do you have a recommendation for a good set of hiking poles? 

Thank you. 😊

I've had a great time with the Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z as my travel trekking poles. They collapse down really small, are super light and very sturdy. They're also very pricey, but I have no complaints. The newer version has a more adjustable upper portion, to help with getting it to the proper height.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/distance-carbon-z/

I was recently told that there are no toilet facilities on the excursions. I do have bladder issues, but I also have a 'Pitch and Trek' that I use when hiking in areas with no facilities. I bring everything I need to 'pack in/pack out' and 'leave no trace'. But it will be challenging.

I think the wetsuits are needed because the water is cold. I haven't yet been there. We're still saving up the money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

I've had a great time with the Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z as my travel trekking poles. They collapse down really small, are super light and very sturdy. They're also very pricey, but I have no complaints. The newer version has a more adjustable upper portion, to help with getting it to the proper height.

I was recently told that there are no toilet facilities on the excursions. I do have bladder issues, but I also have a 'Pitch and Trek' that I use when hiking in areas with no facilities. I bring everything I need to 'pack in/pack out' and 'leave no trace'. But it will be challenging.

I think the wetsuits are needed because the water is cold. I haven't yet been there. We're still saving up the money.

Yes, wetsuits are only for temperature considerations. 

Untitled-100.thumb.jpeg.e759422115a5948f

• Like 2

5 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Londongal, it's important that hiking poles are adjusted to you. Put your elbow out normally & that's where your hiking poles should be at. Not sure if I'm describing this correctly....

Catspaw 1, thank you for all your advice and suggestions. Looking at options now. 😊👍

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

Ellis 1138, Yes, we women (of a certain age) do worry about our restroom situations. Men have it a bit easier, maybe. You have some great advice, thank you. 😊👍

• Like 1

I would also advise you to bring your own snorkel & mask. I'm bringing mine. I have dive booties & they go in my fins designed for using booties. They do weigh 4lbs but I would like to bring them also. Go to a good dive shop so you can make sure your mask fits. There's nothing worse than having a leaky mask! BTW we are PADI advanced water divers. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2024 at 2:20 PM, London Gal said:

Thank you so much for your extensive post with your pictures and information. It has been very helpful in that we be on this cruise third week in October this year (2024). Extremely excited but a bit nervous about bringing the right things along without over packing with lots of questions floating around in my head. 😊

A couple of questions:

- Does the Flora (ship) have hiking/trekking poles for passengers to use?

- IF NOT, what kind and brand did you bring along OR recommend?

- Bathrooms facilities while on the islands while hiking?

- What did you bring along in your pack for the day while hiking with

the nature guides? 

- Why are the wet suits needed for snorkeling, provided by the ship?

Would a long sleeved rash guard do just as well?

- How laid back, in terms of wardrobe, are the evenings and dinner? 

- And regarding shoes, is both wet shoes and hike shoes really need OR can 

a pair of Keen water sandals work for all?

THANK YOU so much. . .

Looks like some of your questions have already been answered, but I can address some of the others:

There are only restroom facilities on Santa Cruz Island and at the airport on Baltra.

Typically the only thing I brought in the backpack for the hikes was my camera and water bottle.  I think I brought a change of shoes once when the water shoes needed to be switched out after the wet landing.  

Dinners are extremely laid back.  You do not need to pack formal wear.

During the nightly briefing for the next day's excursions, they'll tell you if hiking boots are recommended (I highly advise them for walking on lava rock) or if the Keens are fine.  Sometimes you have a wet landing and a beach walk and there is no need to change shoes.

• Like 2

Fdic, thank you for the information! Very helpful 😊

It was mentioned by another poster that the Flora’s “walking sticks” are wooden sticks and not walking / trekking poles. Did you see what the ship offered in this respect? And did you bring your personal poles with you to use? 

And did you find the sunscreen provided by Flora efficient enough for you and your wife as far as sun protection? ☀️ 

48 minutes ago, London Gal said:

Fdic, thank you for the information! Very helpful 😊

It was mentioned by another poster that the Flora’s “walking sticks” are wooden sticks and not walking / trekking poles. Did you see what the ship offered in this respect? And did you bring your personal poles with you to use? 

And did you find the sunscreen provided by Flora efficient enough for you and your wife as far as sun protection? ☀️ 

I did not use poles or walking sticks, so I would defer to others on that question.

The sunscreen was perfectly fine.  It's a very small tube, but your room attendant will replace it if you use it all.  Are you cruise only or do you have the 10-day package?  If you have the package, you'll need to bring their own sunscreen for the day tour of Quito because you don't get the sunscreen from Celebrity until you board the ship.

• Like 1

The 10 day package on the Flora, Outer Loop.

Thank you for sharing your trip, your travel humor, amazing pictures and answering questions for those of us heading out for this once in a lifetime adventure. And a thank you to your wife for the good shopping points 😂🤣

I know I am dating myself here but I remember so clearly when our National Geographic magazine came in the mail as a child and reading about and seeing the pics of the Galápagos Islands. I was so fascinated and dreamed of going and now at my age having a major bucket list item checked off. . .so exciting! Just want to make sure I have what is needed to make this trip amazing. We already got the Diamox and Gatorade sticks to hopefully fight off the high altitude problem in Quito, fingers crossed. 🤞😊 🦎 

• Like 1