Rome - June 2024, staying and transportation?

AlaskaGoer

I booked this cruise years ago. Unfortunately I've hit a snag and I'm trying to get my head sorted out before I have anxiety attack.

We booked everything through NCL except for the hotel stay (as we are coming in two days early). When I started calling back in January / February, they said they didn't have any spots available and to continue to call every week, of which I have. Well, now I'm kind of at ground zero and need to get hotels booked and sort out transportation.

The NCL rep provided two hotels they use in Rome. (One is booked up, the other still has room). However, she recommended NOT staying in Rome but closer to the port because of traffic... which, kind of defeats the point of going two days early to explore Rome.

Any help with this? How hard is it to arrange transportation from Rome to the pier? I've never been to Rome, so this is literally, all foreign to me. Are Taxis a plenty in Rome to get to and from the airport / around the city to the pier?

Has anyone, ever, talked to a cruise line rep who actually knew what they were talking about?  What awful advice!

Taxis are available but for a ride like this, which is well out of town (about 45 miles), you'd do better with a car service or a shared shuttle.  There are plenty of both of them, we used a shared shuttle in November that charged 80 euro per couple and picked up at the hotel.

As for hotels, Rome is covered with them.  When are you trying to go, and what is your price range (in euros)?  The cruise lines tend to use hotels that are outside of the center to save money, with only two days you really want to be right in town so you're not wasting time going back and forth.

4 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Has anyone, ever, talked to a cruise line rep who actually knew what they were talking about?  What awful advice!

Taxis are available but for a ride like this, which is well out of town (about 45 miles), you'd do better with a car service or a shared shuttle.  There are plenty of both of them, we used a shared shuttle in November that charged 80 euro per couple and picked up at the hotel.

As for hotels, Rome is covered with them.  When are you trying to go, and what is your price range (in euros)?  The cruise lines tend to use hotels that are outside of the center to save money, with only two days you really want to be right in town so you're not wasting time going back and forth.

Can I book the car service through the hotel that I choose or better to do it way ahead of time? I heard Uber is available?

Looking to maybe 250 to 350 euro max a night. I found 'Crown Tours' that is about 3 hrs long of a tour. https://www.crowntours.com/colosseum-palatine-hill-and-roman-forum-tour?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0MexBhD3ARIsAEI3WHJ2BXKdO3l1Neb0yWB_yM3TthTBLDupbhyz6dOHr1PId3Hxs8vxmccaAkJfEALw_wcB

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Can I book the car service through the hotel that I choose or better to do it way ahead of time? I heard Uber is available?

Looking to maybe 250 to 350 euro max a night. I found 'Crown Tours' that is about 3 hrs long of a tour. https://www.crowntours.com/colosseum-palatine-hill-and-roman-forum-tour?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0MexBhD3ARIsAEI3WHJ2BXKdO3l1Neb0yWB_yM3TthTBLDupbhyz6dOHr1PId3Hxs8vxmccaAkJfEALw_wcB

For a car service look at https://www.romecabs.com/ or https://sharedshuttle.it/.  Book directly with them.  They are both reliable, well-reviewed companies.  Book ahead of time.  Uber would not be as well used or less expensive.

For hotels look at the thread at the top of this forum for many suggestions.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Depending on the hotel, they may have a preferred service they use.  I don't know how the prices compare to booking yourself, there are several that folks here recommend and you could easily check.

Uber in Italy is not the model you are accustomed to (amateur driver with a personal car),  Each city negotiates its own deal with Uber, in Rome it is simply a connection to a professional car service.  It will cost more than just booking yourself.

• Like 1

Have you tried an Airbnb?  We booked one for Athens prior to our cruise from Piraeus and the host is assisting with booking transportation from airport and to cruiseport. 

• Like 1

Easiest and cost effective way to get to the port is by train.  Direct service from Rome Termini station, takes about 45 minutes.

There are also plenty of hotels in the area.  A few years ago we stayed at the Massimo D'Azeglio.  5 minutes walk from rail station, bus station and metro services.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, pld said:

Have you tried an Airbnb?  We booked one for Athens prior to our cruise from Piraeus and the host is assisting with booking transportation from airport and to cruiseport. 

I have not. AirBnbs are good for places I've been before (for me personally), but as we're they're only for 2 nights, I am trying to find something that is set in stone and doesn't have the possibility of having problems.  Appreciate the advice tho.

Edited by AlaskaGoer
Fat fingers typing

On 5/1/2024 at 4:28 PM, euro cruiser said:

Depending on the hotel, they may have a preferred service they use.  I don't know how the prices compare to booking yourself, there are several that folks here recommend and you could easily check.

Uber in Italy is not the model you are accustomed to (amateur driver with a personal car),  Each city negotiates its own deal with Uber, in Rome it is simply a connection to a professional car service.  It will cost more than just booking yourself.

Are Taxis easily accessible and fairly frequent? Other than walking where we can, I figured we might have to get a ride here and there.

On 5/1/2024 at 4:41 PM, euro cruiser said:

Here are three hotels that are centrally located (as in you can walk to most sites), I don't know what the rates are in the height of the season though.

Damaso Hotel Rome™ - OFFICIAL SITE - BEST RATES GUARANTEED (hoteldamaso.it)

Hotel in the Heart of Rome - Hotel Barrett

Hotel Nazionale Roma | 4 Star Hotel in The Centre of Rome

Two out of the three were sold out for the dates I was looking for.

However, I sent pictures of the third to the wife and she liked it. I booked it, thank you much!

There have been various reports about taxis this year, I can say that there were plenty available in November but that's obviously not high season.

You don't hail a cab on the street in Italy, you either call one to come to you (Uber provides that service in Rome, for an additional fee) or go to a taxi stand.  There are stands at/near the major sites.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Are Taxis easily accessible and fairly frequent? Other than walking where we can, I figured we might have to get a ride here and there.

Yes, there are many taxi stands in Rome and thousands of taxis.  Your hotel will point you to the closest line or call you one. Google maps will also show taxi stands. You can also flag them on the street. Most rides will cost you between 10 and 15 euros.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marazul said:

Yes, there are many taxi stands in Rome and thousands of taxis.  Your hotel will point you to the closest line or call you one. Google maps will also show taxi stands. You can also flag them on the street. Most rides will cost you between 10 and 15 euros.

Thank you.

For a ride from the airport to the hotel, I booked through the service you recommended. I'll sort out the ride from the hotel to the pier once I sort out what or if we're gonna do something on Saturday morning.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 4:28 PM, marazul said:

For a car service look at https://www.romecabs.com/ or https://sharedshuttle.it/.  Book directly with them.  They are both reliable, well-reviewed companies.  Book ahead of time.  Uber would not be as well used or less expensive.

For hotels look at the thread at the top of this forum for many suggestions.

How much time should I give myself when booking the Shared Shuttle after getting off the plane? An hour between luggage etc.? Any recommendations?>

10 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

How much time should I give myself when booking the Shared Shuttle after getting off the plane? An hour between luggage etc.? Any recommendations?>

Let them know your flight number. They will be waiting for you. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/world/europe/italy-taxi-lobby-tourism.html

I have a different take on availability of taxis in Rome (and Florence) based on June and July of last year.  Getting a taxi was difficult. The larger taxi stands did have cars, but could entail a long wait. The less frequented stands often never had a taxi. In calling for a taxi often the call (or app) was placed on hold, and never picked up. Two booked in advanced Ubers never showed. As you’ll see from the attached article there’s a shortage.  With the exception of getting to the port there are good work around with public transportation or being within walking distance. 

Edited by Girr
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

As already responded give the transfer company your flight number, and with their experience they’ll know when to be there. Most companies will request you to download WhatsApp (if you don’t already have), and communicate with you via this method on days of transport. I normally contact them upon landing and we keep track of each other until pick up. This is also helpful for pickup to/from cruise port or daily excursions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Girr said:

As already responded give the transfer company your flight number, and with their experience they’ll know when to be there. Most companies will request you to download WhatsApp (if you don’t already have), and communicate with you via this method on days of transport. I normally contact them upon landing and we keep track of each other until pick up. This is also helpful for pickup to/from cruise port or daily excursions. 

I'll grab the app. Thank you.